• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The defintion of "pressure" for batsmen in a test match

Days of Grace

International Captain
Also, in a draw, the bowlers could just be on a team with other crappy bowlers and thus unable to get a win. E.g, India. If the other team is up by, say 250+ runs after the first innings, there is really almost no pressure on the bowlers, the game is gone anyway.

Yes, but that one good bowler is being put under "pressure" because of the other crap bowlers, is he not?

Basically, I will be looking at batting and bowling averages for when one's team is struggling in a match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have decided to go with a "pressure average" for batsmen and bowlers as part of my analysis of Test Players.

What forced my hand is having Ken Barrington at no.9 in my alltime test batsmen list, when I have the feeling he scored so many runs in bore draws and large wins.

New criteria: batsmen
a) Team lost the match
b) Team won the match by 99 runs or less/5 wickets or less. If they won by more, then the match can still be defined as a pressure match if they were behind on the first innings.
c) Drew the match after following on (can someone find where a list of matches where this happens is on the internet. Cricinfo doesn't have that list. Would be very useful). Hanif Mohammad played the most famous innings in this criteria.
d) Drew the match after being 100 or more runs behind on the first innings. Ponting at Manchester comes to mind here.
e) Drew the match when only 3 or less wickets were needed for a result. Again, Manchester 2005 or Cardiff 2009.

New criteria: bowlers
a) Team lost the match
b) Team won the match by 99 runs or less/5 wickets or less. If they won by more, then the match can still be defined as a pressure match if they were behind by 100 runs or more on the first innings.
c) All draws. I figure that for bowlers, draws are where bowling conditions are on the whole the most difficult since not enough wickets can be taken to force a result.

Let me know what you think.

It is goign to be madness looking at every single win or draw in a team's history, but so be it. A little craziness never hurt anyone.
I'll say it again - it's admirable that you try to do this, but I think what you're attempting is realistically impossible to achieve without plenty of reasonable objections.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
c) Drew the match after following on (can someone find where a list of matches where this happens is on the internet. Cricinfo doesn't have that list. Would be very useful). Hanif Mohammad played the most famous innings in this criteria.
I haven't helped completely but I found this stat:
Tests Won Lost Drawn Winning %
Follow-on enforced 260 198 3 59 73.88

This was in Aug 2004, so there is 59 matches where a draw is the result after enforcing the follow on.

From this website Follow-on: to enforce or not

Days of Grace

International Captain
Thanks mate.:)

I think the pressure average for batsmen is worth researching.

However, I want to get your opinion on whether a games won average is better for bowlers, since bowlers win test matches on the most part.