• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Clive Lloyd legacy - champs or chumps?

archie mac

International Coach
Matt79 said:
I think Trumper copped less flak than MEW for making batting look so easy - probably helped by the fact he didn't have a twin who averages 8 more than him for most of thei careers and placed such a high value on his wicket.
Even so I would rather watch Waugh the younger play an innings of 30 then a century by his brother.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Oh for sure - from an aesthetics point of view, as opposed to a winning a match point of view. Mark was a champ.

I had a great time watching him play his 'farewell' game for the PM's XI in 2003(?). Middle of a 2 year long draught, it had been 30+ for two weeks before and two weeks after, but the one day we had international cricket in Canberra, it was 15 degrees and drizzling. So cold, I almost had to put the beer back IN the eski to warm up. I certainly regretted wearing thongs. MEW made a quick fire 40 odd. Great day.

Matt79

Global Moderator
What would a 'most graceful' XI look like, with players picked for their watchibility rather than effectiveness?

1. Trumper
2. Arthur Morris
3. Gower
4. G. Chappell
5. Mark Waugh
6. Sobers
7. Imran Khan
8. Tallon
9.Warne
10. Marshall
11. McGrath

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No 'Most Graceful' side would be complete without Devon Malcolm. No more immaculate forward defensive down the wrong line has there ever been.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matt79 said:
I think Trumper copped less flak than MEW for making batting look so easy - probably helped by the fact he didn't have a twin who averages 8 more than him for most of thei careers and placed such a high value on his wicket.
Well... and the fact that 1900s pitches tended to be everso slightly harder to bat on than 1990s ones.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matt79 said:
What would a 'most graceful' XI look like, with players picked for their watchibility rather than effectiveness?

1. Trumper
2. Arthur Morris
3. Gower
4. G. Chappell
5. Mark Waugh
6. Sobers
7. Imran Khan
8. Tallon
9.Warne
10. Marshall
11. McGrath
Keith Andrew was by-all-accounts a far more "graceful" wicketkeeper than Don Tallon.

archie mac

International Coach
Matt79 said:
Oh for sure - from an aesthetics point of view, as opposed to a winning a match point of view. Mark was a champ.

I had a great time watching him play his 'farewell' game for the PM's XI in 2003(?). Middle of a 2 year long draught, it had been 30+ for two weeks before and two weeks after, but the one day we had international cricket in Canberra, it was 15 degrees and drizzling. So cold, I almost had to put the beer back IN the eski to warm up. I certainly regretted wearing thongs. MEW made a quick fire 40 odd. Great day.
I was also at that game, I had a $20.00 bet with my bil that Waugh would make more than 20 runs. I let him off with just a shout. It was cold :boat: (could not find a cold smilie?)

archie mac

International Coach
Matt79 said:

1. Trumper
2. Arthur Morris
3. Gower
4. G. Chappell
5. Mark Waugh
6. Sobers
7. Imran Khan
8. Tallon
9.Warne
10. Marshall
11. McGrath
Not a bad list, other batsman: Frank Woolley, Archie Jackson, Norm O'Neil, Kippax, Ducat, Spooner, Tom Graveney, Zed Abbas, Azaruddin (spelling) Roy Dias.

Bowlers: Ted Mcdonald, Holding, Lillee, Blythe.

I don't know why, but most stylish Aussie batsman all seem to have come from NSW except Chappell?

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
Well... it weren't meant to be nought else...
Okay, I was thinking special, as in I have special needs....

I think I will stop there before I get myself banned :laugh: