• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The better ODI player: Shahid Afridi vs. R. Jadeja

The Better ODI Player

• Shahid Afridi

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Ravindra Jadeja

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Afridi, lot more inconsistent than Jadeja, but he does produce those single handed match winning performances. For a team with another good 7 - 8 players, he is the player with X factor. For a weaker team, no doubt it is consistency of Jadeja.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I despised Afridi. For supposedly an X factor player, he was dog**** in World Cups and never did anything against the stronger attacks. Even in 2011, if you take out minnows, he was bang average. Took less than a wicket per game and averaged 23 with the bat. The fact that he played damn near 400 matches with that level of mediocrity is baffling to me. Just despise how he achieved stardom despite crippling deficiencies as a cricketer, namely not being good at batting, bowling, or fielding.

Jadeja, on the other hand, is exactly the kind of bowler that has castrated by the modern game. He is plainly not someone you can play as a frontline bowler. In theory, I can see him becoming a top 7 batsman who gives you 6 tight overs in the middle of the innings but he has never actually executed that role over any length of time with any degree of success. He's definitely a more competent batsman against competent bowling based on ability. That's compensated by his toothless bowling, however.

I hope Jadeja gets better in ODIs because Afridi should never be a viable pick.

Flem274*

123/5
Afridi was a pretty good spinner tbh

Fielding wins this for me, plus Jadeja feels like more of a golden arm at annoying times. Scary cricketer.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Is this the one thread where the answer isn’t clearly Jadeja? He’s not quite as good in LOIs as he is in tests, although a large part of that is his early career in LOIs.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I am a huge fan of Jadeja and I have voted for Afridi. Afridi was an ODI cricketer and Jadeja is a test cricketer. So, this is not an apples to apples comparison.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I am a huge fan of Jadeja and I have voted for Afridi. Afridi was an ODI cricketer and Jadeja is a test cricketer. So, this is not an apples to apples comparison.
Yep, this. Afridi's 'economical, but not particularly threatening' bowling and 'crazy strike rate, not great average' batting is pretty much the opposite of ideal for Tests, but great for limited overs. I do think Jadeja has value as an ODI player though, just not enough for this comparison.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Unrelated to this, but why did afridi not play more test cricket? 1700 runs @36 and a sr of 87 with 5 hundreds and 48 wickets @35. Those are good numbers.