• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best opening pair in one-day......!!

wasims_fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
who do you think is the best opening pair in one-day cricket at the moment? I say its ganguly and sehwag.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Knight and Tresco are damn good! But I would rather see Sachin and Sehwag rather than Ganguly...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Rik
Knight and Tresco are damn good! But I would rather see Sachin and Sehwag rather than Ganguly...
Ganguly has been a very successful opener in one dayers. In fact, Sachin/Ganguly in terms of statistics, longevity and success rate is an all-time great pair(and it wasn't due to Sachin alone). I think the only pair that can match them are Greenidge/Haynes.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but Sachin is the better batsman. And in one day cricket in England he struggled. I wouldn't mind seeing them trying out Sachin and Sehwag for a bit as Sachin looked more at home opening

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hayden and Maher, bat brilliantly together for qld at the top of the order, i wish the aussies selectors would let them open together, they are awesome.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Gilly and Hayden are the best

the 2 best OD openers i would say Shewag and Gilly - they would kill any attck!!!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Sachin and Ganguly.They have destroyed bowling attacks for long.

Sehwag and Ganguly are just about coming on their own but that pair has proven over time that they are the best.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
SSSSSSS

This is one of the few cases where I can confindently make a comparison across ages. I think Sachin and Saurav have been the most outstanding opening pair in the history of ODI cricket.

Clearly, it tells us about what the team thinks of Sehwag considering they split such a pair with both players stil playing magnificent cricket! Admittedly that happened because, not long back, bowlers knew that the Indian batting lineup basically consisted of no.s 1,2 and 3! But with the advent of Yuvaraj, Badani, Sehwag, Laxman and a few others, they could well have afforded to move Sachin back up. It's a testimony to the confidence that Sehwag's strokeplay, and ability to score the occasional big knock inspires that Sachin still bats at no. 4.

I think Ganguly and Sehwag are a terrific opening pair. I'd slot them up there as the top pair in the world currently: Hayden/Gillli step aside!

Infact, I can see a terrific gameplan evolving. When Sachin was at the crease, both players would go for runs, and with one getting dismissed, the other would make a big score. Ganguly prefers to start slowly, with only a few boundaries. (that's how his best hundreds started..). But when he has played himself in, he's perhaps even more effective than Sachin.

When he's got a hundred, you can be pretty sure that he's going to go on a rampage for some 30 or so runs.

Sehwag will be the ideal partner for Saurav. The skipper can start slowly with the runrate still racing along as Viru's not Sachin-pressed with the need of scoring a century every match. He'll still bring with him the Tendulkar brand of fireworks though, and every now and then still make the 100.

Wouldn't exchange this pair for any other team's openers!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if I can't have Sachin opening then I would prefer him at No.3 as Mongia holds that position and it quite inconsistant and also Sachin wants 100s :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Rik
Well if I can't have Sachin opening then I would prefer him at No.3 as Mongia holds that position and it quite inconsistant and also Sachin wants 100s :D
Yeah, Mongia has been dissapointing recently. He started out in a very promising way and seems to have lost his way somewhat in the past few months, maybe because of the fierce competition for positions in the team or maybe lack of confidence. He is still young and talented enough to play himself back into form, though. I agree with you that Sachin should come in atleast at No:3 in one dayers, which is where ideally the best batsman in the team should come anyway.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Careful, Rik.

There's enough pedants here (Neil, Marc, me, oh, everyone):P

After all, you wrote 'Tresco' - sounds like a supermarket. :D