• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Death Bowler

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Powell had a bit of fun with Mr. Kallis the other day. Overall Kallis is a very good ODI bowler IMO. He's clever and bowls a good offcutter which can be hard to score off in the short form.

deeps

International 12th Man
steve waugh at his prime,was brilliant in the death overs

but of the current bunch of players,i'm going with ian harvey...his changes of pace,and small variations r very hard 2 pick,and he has done a great job over the past few months/years

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
1 swallow does not a summer make.
I can think of three time's Lee has smashed kallis.

One when he made his 51* most of his runs were off Donald but Kallis took a bit off hammer as well and also two game's in SA were he came in and had some quite productive final overs against him.

Mingster

State Regular
Tim said:
Gavin Larson was perhaps the best defensive bowler I ever saw...I don't think I ever saw him go for more than 35 off his 10 overs EVER.

Maybe during his last season, he started to be hit around but at his peak he was superb at the death & I wish he was around at the moment to solve NZ's current problems.

---- Larson's name is spelt wrong for obvious reasons.

120 ODI matches with an RPO of 3.76 is exceptional, but nevermind the average of 35.39, he was never in the side to take many wickets himself...rather to create pressure & force wickets at the other end.
Larson was a great ODI bowler, arguably the best for NZ ever.

I'm suprised his Test average is only 28.

FRAZ

International Captain
Choora said:
Mate, get over it! You don't have to take all that crap so seriously.
I am quite happy Chooray , You admitted that that was all crap . Thanx buddy .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fraz please get your head checked, that way your posts will make more sense and at the same time, possibly be readable.

For me it's definitely Wasim, great death bowler and proved it time after time, that's what made him brilliant.

Deja moo

International Captain
what about damien fleming?

He bowled the last over twice for Australia in the 96 and 99 WC Semifinals.....both were crucial overs.

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
orangepitch said:
what about damien fleming?

He bowled the last over twice for Australia in the 96 and 99 WC Semifinals.....both were crucial overs.
Good call on fleming- if there was ever a man to win more clutch matches in the last over id like to see him.

Another memorable occasion (other than the world cups you mentioned) was allan borders last odi in sth africa where fleming helped aus to a 1 run victory (another sth africa choke:D )

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
I am quite happy Chooray , You admitted that that was all crap . Thanx buddy .
He's all along said it was rubbish - it's only one person trying to cause trouble here out of you 2, and its not Choora!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Consensus suggests Wasim - I am glad, there have been none IMO as good as him. Not only could he bowl Yorkers almost at will, he could swing them in and control his line on a yoyo.
McGrath and Pollock - not good enough at Yorkers.
Harvey - massively overrated. Yorker very good but he can't bowl it nearly as often as some seem to think. Slower ball just a hit-me at that stage, for any bowler.
Kumble - :lol: :lol: Kumble's a great one-day bowler but I'd prefer him to bowl 20-22-24-26-28-30-32-34-36-38 straight through anyday. Like Pollock and McGrath, he's too much of a metronome (hits a length by habit rather than by aim, so finds it hard to bowl Yorkers instead of conventional good-length).
Lee - :lol: :lol: Lee's control's so poor most of the time he's worthless any time.
Never knew L****n was a death bowler - he and Austin are two who you'd think would be best in the same period as Kumble, but both evidently made careers out of bowling at the worst time possible and still ended with econs under 4 (L****n in ODIs too). I loved L****n as a bowler - everything you'd want in a one-day game.
Gayle - brilliant sometimes, terrible others.
Kallis - not been anywhere near as good since 2001 as he was before that. Before that, there were few better.
Gough - been excellent for most of his career, wasn't so good in the 2000\01-2001\02 time, but aside from that, excellent.
Stephen Waugh was good ages ago, too.
I agree with Corey that the best pace to bowl at is 60-70 mph, and that also gives you a better chance of controlling it perfectly. Most importantly, though, no flight.
Whatever pace, though, most important is hitting the creaseline every ball. Low Full-Tosses are asking for the treatment (though they don't, always, get it) and Half-Volleys are easy for any decent player to put away.
Also vital to get the right field. If you're bowling to order, you don't need a deep-extra-cover; a fine-leg, however, is vital at all times.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sure Anil Bhai wouldn't mind if the 11th over was a maiden...
Knock off the 40, simple.

Craig

World Traveller
:lol: :lol: :lol:

L****n's name got **** in it :lol: :lol: :lol:

But a fine bowler none the less. Perhaps under-rated as one.

deeps

International 12th Man
nibblet said:
Shoaib is the best He has the best yorker in cricket.
shoaib is one of those bowlers who is BRILLIANT when the conditions suit him,and NOTHING when they don't.....when the ball is swinging, he is deadly, unplayable and easily the best bowler in the world

another is ajit agarkar...when the ball is swinging and seaming, he can exploit it,and is extremely hardd 2 play,as the aussies found out in the 2nd test!

i'm sure ther's plenty more of these type bowlers, but that'sjust 2 that cme 2 mind

and yes, i know that if the ball is swinging and seaming, most bowlers are deadly....but these bowlers are especially deadly, they have the ability to exploit favourable conditions.......and flop at useless conditions

and again,yes i know most bowlers struggle in unfavourable conditions,but these bowlers especially struggle....although i think akhtar might b BEGINNING to overcome this problem

Ajit Agarkar is very good, he just doesn't give anything to the batter towards the end.

Srinath was one hell of a death bowler , what a man he was.

Akram was good but with age he became a very ordinary bowler.

Among the new commers, i think Munaf Patel has the potential to become the best death bowler.