• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best at their Best

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
that's in Galle
Unfortunately Malinga didn't have the time to bowl on conducive wickets when he was in form. In NZ he was gold. AUS was his debut series, there also he bounced out Gilchrist if I am not mistaken (a no ordinary feat). Before he could deliver he was gone.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Malinga wasn't ever "extremely good" at Test cricket anywhere, regardless of what excuses you try to make. Not sure why we think a random youtube clip of 1 ball that he bowled somehow proves otherwise either.

trundler

Steve Waugh got Richards once and that's all the proof I need to call him a great bowler

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Malinga was a bit of a waste man at test level. His trajectory was very good for limited overs cricket but in test cricket he wasn't threatening enough. A bit like how Starc is way better at limited overs cricket because his strength is pitched up, high pace bowling, Malinga's strength was never really on the length needed to be a top class test match bowler.

vcs

Malinga could have been pretty good if he put his mind to it but he was rarely fit and you got the feeling he cared much more about the smaller formats.

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't know much about Malinga but his name always brings up memories of New Zealand - Sri Lanka Test series in 2006. I accidentally happened to see that Test series.
It was the same series where Murali was cheated (given run out when he completed his run, and stepped out to congratulate Sanga on a well made century).
Perhaps it was the Murali incident or I don't know what it was. But in the next Test match, Malinga just gave it to the Kiwis. He was like a bull going after a red rag.
New Zealand batsmen didn't want anything to do with such serious heat. It was the New Zealand team with Bond & all who were pretty good at home.
Malinga took 7 wickets in that second Test match which Sri Lanka won in a canter, and drew the Test series.

What Malinga did in the 1st innings of that second Test match gave a psychological death blow to New Zealand. He didn't do much in the second innings but then he didn't need to.
New Zealand batsmen simply folded. It was amazing watching a Sri Lankan fast bowler bowling fast short pitched deliveries at the batsmen with intention to hurt. It was further more
amazing how rattled New Zealand batsmen were, by the hostility, in their own backyard.

As I said, I don't know much about Malinga. His above performance could have been a one-off. His name just brought out those memories. it was great fun to watch a Sri Lankan fast
bowler sending New Zealand batsmen scurrying for cover in their own backyard.

morgieb

Was also worth mentioning Malinga last played Tests at age 27 - it's quite plausible he'd have gotten better at Tests if he hadn't stopped playing.

Even so he's still Sri Lanka's second best quick of all-time, though that says more about Sri Lanka than him.

TheJediBrah

I don't know much about Malinga but his name always brings up memories of New Zealand - Sri Lanka Test series in 2006. I accidentally happened to see that Test series.
It was the same series where Murali was cheated (given run out when he completed his run, and stepped out to congratulate Sanga on a well made century).
Perhaps it was the Murali incident or I don't know what it was. But in the next Test match, Malinga just gave it to the Kiwis. He was like a bull going after a red rag.
New Zealand batsmen didn't want anything to do with such serious heat. It was the New Zealand team with Bond & all who were pretty good at home.
Malinga took 7 wickets in that second Test match which Sri Lanka won in a canter, and drew the Test series.

What Malinga did in the 1st innings of that second Test match gave a psychological death blow to New Zealand. He didn't do much in the second innings but then he didn't need to.
New Zealand batsmen simply folded. It was amazing watching a Sri Lankan fast bowler bowling fast short pitched deliveries at the batsmen with intention to hurt. It was further more
amazing how rattled New Zealand batsmen were, by the hostility, in their own backyard.

As I said, I don't know much about Malinga. His above performance could have been a one-off. His name just brought out those memories. it was great fun to watch a Sri Lankan fast
bowler sending New Zealand batsmen scurrying for cover in their own backyard.
Ah yes, the old Brendcheat mcCheatum

Was also worth mentioning Malinga last played Tests at age 27 - it's quite plausible he'd have gotten better at Tests if he hadn't stopped playing.
and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

unlikely. Issue was his fitness, and will to play Tests, which is why he stopped. Might as well say "if Chris Martin was a better batsman he'd be an all rounder"

Malinga is well and truly in the running for T20 ATG teams, but in no reality is he a great Test cricketer

Last edited:

morgieb

Ah yes, the old Brendcheat mcCheatum

and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

unlikely. Issue was his fitness, and will to play Tests, which is why he stopped. Might as well say "if Chris Martin was a better batsman he'd be an all rounder"

Malinga is well and truly in the running for T20 ATG teams, but in no reality is he a great Test cricketer
Oh yeah I definitely agree with you and Stephen here. I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of all the Sri Lankan fast bowlers perhaps Dilhara Fernando was the most hostile, when he got it correct. That was once in 20 matches. He produced that steep bounce at 140k+, and no Sri Lankan fast bowler could produce that kind of bounce. Once again utterly useless in most of the games, and when he got it right it was fun to watch. Since him, we didn't have a single fast bowler who could threaten the health of batsmen other than for Malinga.