• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian team - A disgrace to the game

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
All countries do it. The Windies used to do it a lot in the 70's and 80's. The best sides are generally criticised the most. Thus, Australia continued critisism.

Although I think Steve Waugh saying, "CHOO CHOO...", to Chris Cairns while he was batting - after his sister had recently died in a train accident - was the lowest.

Swervy

International Captain
Will Scarlet said:
All countries do it. The Windies used to do it a lot in the 70's and 80's. The best sides are generally criticised the most. Thus, Australia continued critisism.

Although I think Steve Waugh saying, "CHOO CHOO...", to Chris Cairns while he was batting - after his sister had recently died in a train accident - was the lowest.
i am sure i read somewhere that this didnt actually happen

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
My guess is that swervy is right. The media always allows the public to perceive lies as truth.

Deja moo

International Captain
Groan....The Aussies are going to take it to the next level now.

Brett Lee spoke to a news channel when he was in India recently for a commercial shoot , and said that the Aussies were prepared with the choicest of abuses in Hindi.

A TOI news report quoted Lee displaying a small part of his now expanded vocabulary , using the words "gandu" and "chutiya". ( yes , it made it to the papers)

I dont know if the Indian batsmen will be offended or tickled to hear the Aussie sledging in October.

Swervy

International Captain
according to this years wisden, for the cricket year 2002/03 to 2003/04,there were 21 breaches of the ICC Code of conduct.

Australia were responsible for 3

Shoiab himself was responsible for 4,including ball tampering,obscene gesturing to the crowd,and obscene language to a player...this is to go with other pakistan players claiming catches when the ball hit the ground, and raising a bat to another player

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
In regards to Ponting. It is not the fact that he doesn't walk, that is any batsman's right. However, the fact that he then belates opposition batsman for not walking is not right, and quite frankly a low act.
When did RP do this? I think he has made a decision to walk when fielders claim catches.

Swervy

International Captain
Breaches of the code this year:

Kyle Mills New Zealand v Pakistan, 4th ODI -
14th January 2004 at Napier
Breach of Code 1.5 - Excessive appealing. Official reprimand and warned of future conduct.

Rahul Dravid India v Zimbabwe, 6th ODI -
20th January 2004 at Brisbane
Breach of Code 2.10 - Changing the condition of the ball in breach of Law 42.3 as read with Standard Test Match and ODI Playing Conditions clause 42.1. Fined 50% of match fee.

Sourav Ganguly Australia v India, 7th ODI
22nd January 2004 at Sydney Breach of Code C1 - Players and/or Team Officials shall at all times conduct play within the spirit of the game as well as within the Laws of Cricket and the captains are responsible at all times for ensuring that this is adhered to. Captain fined 50% of match fee.

Irfan Pathan Australia v India, 2nd Final
8th February 2004 at Sydney Breach of Code C1 - Players and/or Team Officials shall at all times conduct play within the spirit of the game as well as within the Laws of Cricket and the captains are responsible at all times for ensuring that this is adhered to. Official Reprimand.

Andrew Symonds
Sri Lanka v Australia, 2nd ODI
22nd February 2004 at Dambulla
Peter Manuel ruled Andrew Symonds out LBW. Symonds stood his ground indicating to the umpire he hit the ball and saying something which was not audible. As he walked off he swore. Referee felt it was more disappointment than dissent taking everything into account.

Adam Gilchrist
Sri Lanka v Australia, 2nd ODI
22nd February 2004 at Dambulla Adam Gilchrist at the non strikers end, displayed dissent following the dismissal of Andrew Symonds. Fined of 50% match fee.

Inzamam-ul-Haq
Pakistan v India, 2nd ODI
16th March 2004 at Rawalpindi Breach of Code C1 at Level 2 – Conduct contrary to the spirit of the game. Fined 50% of match fee.

Brian Lara
West Indies v England, 2nd Test
19th-23rd March 2004 at Port of Spain Breach of Level 1.3 - Showing dissent at an umpire’s decision by action or verbal abuse. Fined 50% of match fee.

Simon Jones
West Indies v England, 2nd Test
19th-23rd March 2004 at Port of Spain Breach of Code C2 at Level 1 - Players shall at no time engage in conduct unbecoming to their status which could bring them or the game of cricket into disrepute. Fined 50% of match fee.
Graeme Smith New Zealand v South Africa, 3rd Test
26th-30th March 2004 at Wellington
Breach of Code 1.3 – Showing dissent at an umpire’s decision by action or verbal abuse. Fined 50% of match fee.

Andre Nel
New Zealand v South Africa, 3rd Test
26th-30th March 2004 at Wellington Breach of Code 2.2 - Showing serious dissent at an Umpire’s decision by action or verbal abuse. Fined 75% of match fee.

Moin Khan
Pakistan v India, 1st Test
28th Mar - 1st Apr 2004 at Multan Breach of Code 2.2 - Showing serious dissent at an Umpire’s decision by action or verbal abuse. Fined 75% of match fee.

Parthiv Patel
Pakistan v India, 2nd Test
5th - 9th Apr 2004 at Lahore Breach of Code 2.2 - Showing serious dissent at an Umpire’s decision by action or verbal abuse. Fined 60% of match fee.

Dion Ebrahim
Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka, 2nd Test
14th - 18th May 2004 at Bulawayo Breach of Code 2.4 - Public criticism of, or inappropriate comment on a match related incident or match official. Banned for one Test match.

Tino Best
West Indies v Bangladesh, 1st Test
28 May - 1 Jun 2004 at St Lucia Breach of Code 2.5 - Inappropriate and deliberate physical contact between Players in the course
of play. Fined 75% of match fee.

Glenn McGrath
Australia v Sri Lanka, 2nd Test
9 - 13 July 2004 at Cairns
Breach of Code 1.4 Using language that is obscene, offensive or insulting and/or the making of
an obscene gesture. Fined of 25% match fee.

Deja moo

International Captain
I dont see why anyone should even think of walking nowadays .

Wicketkeepers around the world appeal for anything now , and the umpire might even give a wrong decision bcos of that. Why should the batsman concede an inch in such circumstances ?

Swervy

International Captain
Mr. P said:
What did Inzamam and Simon Jones do? Can someone please remind me?:)
The Pakistan team has been fined for a slow-over rate in the second one-dayer against India at Rawalpindi.

Ranjan Madugalle, the ICC match referee, ruled that Pakistan was three overs short at the stipulated cut-off time. While the team was penalised 15% of their match fee, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Pakistan's captain, had to concede 30%. According to ICC regulations: (i) for each of the first five overs short of the minimum overs required, 5% of each player's gross match fee in the fielding side; (ii) for the sixth and any subsequent over short of the minimum overs required, 10% of each player's gross match fee in the fielding side."

Pakistan were earlier penalised for a slow over-rate in the first one-dayer at Karachi, when the bowlers took 20 extra minutes to complete bowling 50 overs

Swervy

International Captain
Mr. P said:
What did Inzamam and Simon Jones do? Can someone please remind me?:)
Brian Lara and Simon Jones have both been found guilty of breaching Level One of the ICC's Code of Conduct, and have been fined half their match fees.

Speaking after the disciplinary hearing, Mike Procter, the match referee, explained that Lara was fined for showing dissent to the umpires on Sunday evening, when the England batsmen were offered the light for the second time, minutes after declining to go off.

"Brian was very genuine at the hearing," said Procter. "He apologised and pleaded not guilty of a level-one [breach of the code], but admitted to having shown dissent."

Jones, on the other hand, pleaded guilty and was punished for bringing the game into disrepute after his spat with Ramnaresh Sarwan. "I listened to both sides of the story, and what came out loud and clear was that Jones was very apologetic," said Procter. "The umpires were very complimentary about his behaviour - Jones apologised to them straight away, and at the end of play."

Procter concluded, "I originally thought it was a more serious charge than level one, but in the end I decided to fine him %50 of his match fee."

masterblaster

International Captain
I believe that its more upto a particular player (as a person) than a particular team.
I also believe that some charges made for 'dissent' are absolutely absurd, but thats another thing.

The Australian's are all genuinely nice guys. But they are true cricketers and are incredibly professional. Once they step on that turf, slip on the baggy green they aren't Adam Gilchrist from WA or Glenn McGrath from Wagga Wagga, they are fighters, they are soldiers in the battle of a cricket match who have to do whatever it takes to win.

They are successful, they are champions, they are as close to perfection in Cricket as possible. For that I respect them for it.

They are a treasure to the game of Cricket, nobody personifies hard work, team ethos, dedication, commitment and mateship as much as the Australian's do. World Cricket would be better if every team took a leaf out of the Aussie's book.

And this is coming from an Indian fan.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Will Scarlet said:
Steve Waugh saying, "CHOO CHOO...", to Chris Cairns while he was batting - after his sister had recently died in a train accident - was the lowest.
That never happened - Cairns himself said so in his autobiography.

I don't think the Aussies are any worse than any other side. They probably get targeted for more criticism because they're the best and people want to knock them off their pedestal. If anything they're guilty of unsubtlety at worst.

I read after he'd retired that Adam Parore was one of the most notorious sledgers ever, yet you'd have had no idea while he was playing. On the flipside, Adam Gilchrist deserves unlimited praise for his stance on walking when he knows he's out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Waugh saying, "CHOO CHOO...", to Chris Cairns while he was batting - after his sister had recently died in a train accident - was the lowest.
Do you honestly think the 6'4" Chris Cairns would have let the 5'10" Steve Waugh walk away from something like that a functioning jaw? If that happened to me, career be damned, the guy who said it wouldn't be capable of saying something similar for a very long time.

What news vacuum do you live in anyway? :) The debunking of that was pretty widely reported.

Scallywag

Banned
Will Scarlet said:

This post should be removed.

How about a bit of respect, its disgracful you should violate Chris Cairns sisters memory.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Deja moo said:
Groan....The Aussies are going to take it to the next level now.

Brett Lee spoke to a news channel when he was in India recently for a commercial shoot , and said that the Aussies were prepared with the choicest of abuses in Hindi.

A TOI news report quoted Lee displaying a small part of his now expanded vocabulary , using the words "gandu" and "chutiya". ( yes , it made it to the papers)

I dont know if the Indian batsmen will be offended or tickled to hear the Aussie sledging in October.
I somehow doubt you should believe everything you read mate...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Deja moo said:
Sorry , this might be off topic , but I simply cant watch the telly when Tino Best is on .He irritates me like no other cricketer does .
Its one thing having an experienced test star having a sledge at someone..
Its a totally different thing when some ****y newby like Best or Pathan thinks they can have a go like they are more important than the game...

Hopefully someone with a bit more sense will put them seriously in their place in the near future, whether it be with bat, ball or mouth...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Will Scarlet said:

Add me to the list of people tired of reading about this BS story. I'd love to know who the spiteful ass that created the rumor in the first place was.

And yeah, the Windies did it too - you can hardly have a discussion about this in some quarters without someone discussing how angelic the West Indians of the 80's and 90's were. I always presume that those that say that weren't watching cricket at the time.

Personally, I think the South Africans are the worst behaved in the world right now. And the Sri Lankans actually ARE pretty good, I think just a lot of us Aussies have bad memories of Ranatunga. I'd put the Aussies and the Indians at around roughly the same level - neither's particularly good, but they're not the worst behaved either.

The two racial comments (Lehmann and McGrath) are really regrettable though. I've always wondered if Rashid Latif really did something similar towards Gilchrist, or if he actually misheard.