• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Gary Ballance did play for Zimbabwe towards the end of his career, is he a chance to get into Zimbabwe all time test second XI?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Procter wasn’t born there or anything, but represented Rhodesia in FC during his absolute batting peak, if not his bowling.

Procter for Rhodesia:
46 matches 3662 runs @ 48.82, 11 tons 186 wickets @ 18.52, 8 5’fers

GirthQuake

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Procter wasn’t born there or anything, but represented Rhodesia in FC during his absolute batting peak, if not his bowling.

Procter for Rhodesia:
46 matches 3662 runs @ 48.82, 11 tons 186 wickets @ 18.52, 8 5’fers
Who's this guy procter? Sounds like if he played today then with a bit of hardwork he might be as good as Jaddu.

BazBall21

International Regular
Australia

Trumper
Lawry
Don
Smith
Chappell
Gilchrist
Miller
Warne
Lindwall
Lillee
McGrath

Windies

Greenidge
Hunte
Headley
Viv
Lara
Sobers
Walcott
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

South Africa

Richards
Kirsten
Nourse
Pollock
Kallis
De Villiers
Proctor
Faulkner
Pollock
Steyn
Donald

England

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Root
Barrington
Botham
Knott
Snow
Trueman
Barnes
Anderson

Pakistan

Hanif
Anwar
Younis
Miandad
Inzamam
Rizwan
Imran
Wasim
Fazal
Saqlain
Waqar

India

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tenudlkar
Kohli
Pant
Kapil
Jadeja
Ashwin
Srinath
Bumrah

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Australia

Trumper
Lawry
Don
Smith
Chappell
Gilchrist
Miller
Warne
Lindwall
Lillee
McGrath

Windies

Greenidge
Hunte
Headley
Viv
Lara
Sobers
Walcott
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

South Africa

Richards
Kirsten
Nourse
Pollock
Kallis
De Villiers
Proctor
Faulkner
Pollock
Steyn
Donald

England

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Root
Barrington
Botham
Knott
Snow
Trueman
Barnes
Anderson

Pakistan

Hanif
Anwar
Younis
Miandad
Inzamam
Rizwan
Imran
Wasim
Fazal
Qadir
Waqar

India

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tenudlkar
Kohli
Pant
Kapil
Jadeja
Ashwin
Srinath
Bumrah
On SA:
No Graeme Smith?? Kirsten really played his best in the middle order. Also, Faulkner was a batting allrounder, he used to bat at 3-5; should definitely bat ahead of Proctor.

On England:
No spinners?? Surely, Laker, Verity, Underwood or Rhodes could come in for Snow or Anderson, as there are already 5 pacers/medium pacers.

BazBall21

International Regular
On SA:
No Graeme Smith?? Kirsten really played his best in the middle order. Also, Faulkner was a batting allrounder, he used to bat at 3-5; should definitely bat ahead of Proctor.

On England:
No spinners?? Surely, Laker, Verity, Underwood or Rhodes could come in for Snow or Anderson, as there are already 5 pacers/medium pacers.
Barnes was by most accounts a spinner and he obviously has a great record. If we aren't counting Barnes as a spinner, then maybe Verity for Anderson.

I know Anderson has had a better career than Snow overall, but I think the attack would be more unbalanced if you took John out because swing bowlers (Trueman and Botham) are still there. Snow is the point of difference hit the deck beast.

BazBall21

International Regular
Kirsten v Smith is 50-50 imo and most people will disagree with me there so I go for the more unconventional pick. Could also have gone for Mitchell or even Herbie Taylor though.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Barnes was by most accounts a spinner and he obviously has a great record. If we aren't counting Barnes as a spinner, then maybe Verity for Anderson.

I know Anderson has had a better career than Snow overall, but I think the attack would be more unbalanced if you took John out because swing bowlers (Trueman and Botham) are still there. Snow is the point of difference hit the deck beast.
Barnes was a medium pacer by most accounts I believe; to begin with he was a new ball bowler.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Anderson might have to make way then because I think England would suffer more without Snow in a hypothetical all time xi tournament.
Yep, I could see an argument for that, though Anderson was definitely the greater bowler, Snow might be more effective in this situation. Also, I think Faulkner should definitely bat higher

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia

Trumper
Lawry
Don
Smith
Chappell
Gilchrist
Miller
Warne
Lindwall
Lillee
McGrath

Windies

Greenidge
Hunte
Headley
Viv
Lara
Sobers
Walcott
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

South Africa

Richards
Kirsten
Nourse
Pollock
Kallis
De Villiers
Proctor
Faulkner
Pollock
Steyn
Donald

England

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Root
Barrington
Botham
Knott
Snow
Trueman
Barnes
Anderson

Pakistan

Hanif
Anwar
Younis
Miandad
Inzamam
Rizwan
Imran
Wasim
Fazal
Qadir
Waqar

India

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tenudlkar
Kohli
Pant
Kapil
Jadeja
Ashwin
Srinath
Bumrah
Interesting how you managed to put a keeper at 6 in every side bar the Windies, thus giving every other team an extra bowler and making the Windies the third best attack at best.

I still seriously have no idea how people are picking Qadir for a side - he was ****ing atrocious outside of Pakistan. Its like picking Warner to open in an Aussie ATG XI, but worse. At least Warner has a couple of other places where he was successful.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Interesting how you managed to put a keeper at 6 in every side bar the Windies, thus giving every other team an extra bowler and making the Windies the third best attack at best.

I still seriously have no idea how people are picking Qadir for a side - he was ****ing atrocious outside of Pakistan. Its like picking Warner to open in an Aussie ATG XI, but worse. At least Warner has a couple of other places where he was successful.
Yeah Saqlain's my go for the Pak spinner.

BazBall21

International Regular

Yeah probably should have picked Saqlain there.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Richards
Smith
Kallis
Pollock
Nourse
DeVilliers
DeKock
Procter
Tayfield
Steyn
Donald

Wondering if Faulkner makes my SA XI. I’m favouring selecting a proper keeper rather than AB and think DeKock’s batting gives him an edge (although Lindsay and Waite were fine batsmen also). I actually don’t know who the best keeper of the three was. I never rated Boucher’s keeping highly.

With an attack of Steyn, Donald, Procter and Tayfield, plus Kallis, I don’t think a sixth bowling option is needed. And Nourse was an elite bat. So maybe this.

Lots of options with a SA XI. Faulkner could easily come in for almost anyone if two spinners were wanted and you can still get a nicely balanced XI.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Adding Shaun Pollock, Faulkner, Bruce Mitchell, Amla and Rabada gives you an excellent touring party. DeVillers back up keeper, extra spinner who can bat top 6, extra opening and middle bats, and 5 elite quicks plus Kallis. Would cover any contingency.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Being a WWII baby and my mother born during WWI, the era between the wars holds an interest.
Selecting an ATG XI from just a 20 year period isn't easy.
My first side comprises players who played the majority of their Tests in that era,

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Headley
Hammond
McCabe
Ames
Tate
Larwood
Voce
O'Reilly

My second sides comprises only those whose Test Careers were exclusively between the wars.

Sutcliffe
Ponsford
Paynter
Hendren
Leyland
McCabe
Ames
Tate
Larwood
Verity/Grimmett
Martindale

Both teams look far stronger in the batting department. Players who came under consideration but missed out include Gregory, Ryder, Jardine, Mitchell and Oldfield.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Australia

Trumper
Lawry
Don
Smith
Chappell
Gilchrist
Miller
Warne
Lindwall
Lillee
McGrath

Windies

Greenidge
Hunte
Headley
Viv
Lara
Sobers
Walcott
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

South Africa

Richards
Kirsten
Nourse
Pollock
Kallis
De Villiers
Proctor
Faulkner
Pollock
Steyn
Donald

England

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Root
Barrington
Botham
Knott
Snow
Trueman
Barnes
Anderson

Pakistan

Hanif
Anwar
Younis
Miandad
Inzamam
Rizwan
Imran
Wasim
Fazal
Saqlain
Waqar

India

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tenudlkar
Kohli
Pant
Kapil
Jadeja
Ashwin
Srinath
Bumrah
No Hammond or Ponting?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since Gary Ballance did play for Zimbabwe towards the end of his career, is he a chance to get into Zimbabwe all time test second XI?
Here were the 1st and 2nd XIs voted on in 2018

Zimbabwe XI

1 G Flower
2 H Masakadza
3 M Goodwin
4 A Flower
5 D Houghton
6 G Whittall
7 T Taibu+
8 P Strang
9 H Streak
10 E Brandes