• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t think that your Australian team is very ‘alternate‘ with the exception of Bradman missing.
Alternate i.e different from the team Miller selected in 1977. We can’t help it if he didn’t pick Simpson Lawry or Davidson and that we’ve been lucky to have had so many ATGs since then.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
He is only the 4th or 5th best allrounder of his generation, and averagewise is also worse than Axar, CDG, and Mayers and on a par with Green.
3rd at worst surely? Ashwin isn’t a true all rounder though a very handy bat.
I’m assuming Shakib and the Answer are 2. Who are the others?
Holder isn’t bette

bagapath

International Captain
Fourth Best Aussie XI

Langer & Lawry
(Trumper & Hayden/ Simpson & Morris / Ponsford & Taylor)
I. Chappell (Bradman/ Ponting/ Hill)
M. Waugh (G. Chappell/ S. Smith/ M. Clarke)
Walters (Border/ S.Waugh/ McCabe)
Armstrong (Miller/ Noble/ Gregory )
Haddin + (Gilchrist/ Healy/ Marsh)
Benaud * (Warne, O'Relley, Grimmet)
Lee, Harris & McKenzie (Lillee, McGrath & Lindwall/ Davidson, Cummins & Spofforth/ Thomson, Johnson & Starc )

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fourth Best Aussie XI

Langer & Lawry
(Trumper & Hayden/ Simpson & Morris / Ponsford & Taylor)
I. Chappell (Bradman/ Ponting/ Hill)
M. Waugh (G. Chappell/ S. Smith/ M. Clarke)
Walters (Border/ S.Waugh/ McCabe)
Armstrong (Miller/ Noble/ Gregory )
Haddin + (Gilchrist/ Healy/ Marsh)
Benaud * (Warne, O'Relley, Grimmet)
Lee, Harris & McKenzie (Lillee, McGrath & Lindwall/ Davidson, Cummins & Spofforth/ Thomson, Johnson & Starc )
I really like this. I've been doing a similar thing lately with my Aussie XIs going all the way down - a lot of my 4th XI is pretty similar to yours, albeit with a few small differences either way. I think the only areas I'd diverge from you significantly are in wicketkeeping (I've got Blackham, Oldfield, Tallon and maybe Grout all ahead of Haddin - though I accept Haddin is the best bat out of that lot) and pace bowling, where I reckon Turner, Johnston, McDermott, Gillespie and maybe Hazelwood rank ahead of those quicks you've picked.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Is Bumrah a decent pick for an Indian ATG 11? I'm more interested in where do you draw the line on bowlers who are injury prone. At some stage you have to factor in that their high ceiling is countenanced by a fair chance of getting injured and not completing these hypothetical tests.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Is Bumrah a decent pick for an Indian ATG 11? I'm more interested in where do you draw the line on bowlers who are injury prone. At some stage you have to factor in that their high ceiling is countenanced by a fair chance of getting injured and not completing these hypothetical tests.
We haven’t really produced bowlers good enough to leave someone like Bumrah out tbh. If we had bowlers like Hazlewood and Gillespie, then they would probably be better options.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Dravid at 6 is a waste.
I would have liked to see VVS bat at number 3 more often with Dravid further down the order. Maybe not in England, but certainly in India and Australia.

With Sehwag, VVS and Tendulkar in the top 4 India could have put the opposing bowlers under more pressure and perhaps won more Test matches than they did. As it stands India had to wait till Kohli came along before they had a real run of success.

Socerer 01

International Captain
he's 7th on all time wickets list for Indian pace bowlers

the next best in terms of average with at least 30 matches played is Shami who is 5.5 worse

he isn't just a decent pick, he is a great one

Flem274*

123/5
IRL he plays when available. You pick your best team and deal with issues if they happen. It's how real life teams do it.

You'd be pretty mad if you were an Indian fan and India got dicked with a fully fit Bumrah running drinks.