• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think Smith has to play 200 tests to be considered better than Sachin.

But of course it has to be a number that accounts for longevity. What that number is will vary from person to person. What do you guys think? Around 120-130 test should be a good enough number. Lara has 130 tests and he is in the same league as Sachin isn't he?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think Smith has to play 200 tests to be considered better than Sachin.

But of course it has to be a number that accounts for longevity. What that number is will vary from person to person. What do you guys think? Around 120-130 test should be a good enough number. Lara has 130 tests and he is in the same league as Sachin isn't he?
Its not just number of tests, its the number of years too. Coz that will show the challenges you faced over time.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Really? What if Smith declined at the end but had 125 Tests averaging 63 or something?
Even a serious decline would get him to average around 57-58 over 150 tests though and that is comparable to Sachin.

If he does average 63+ over 125 tests though, I think he's in the same league regardless of whether he plays to 150 or not.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think anyone is saying he should play 200 tests. The argument is that if he plays 150 tests, it should be as good or close to Tendulkar 92-10 where he averaged 59 over 150+ tests.
I can see merit in this argument but this takes away some of his worst years doesn't it?

Why not chop off the number 8 years of Smith in the beginning then?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even a decline would get him to average around 57-58 over 150 tests though and that is comparable to Sachin.
No I mean if he averaged say 63 up to his 125th Test, then had a bit of a decline like Tendulkars post WC run and ended up with 60, is it fair to compare Tendulkar’s 150 peak with Smith’s full career? I would think you should snip out the last few of Smith’s as well to be fair.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I can see merit in this argument but this takes away some of his worst years doesn't it?

Why not chop off the number 8 years of Smith in the beginning then?
Yeah, sure. Let's chop them off. I don't care how many tests he plays as long as he a stretch of 140 or so tests averaging 60. Chop off Smith decline and early years.

OverratedSanity

No I mean if he averaged say 63 up to his 125th Test, then had a bit of a decline like Tendulkars post WC run and ended up with 60, is it fair to compare Tendulkar’s 150 peak with Smith’s full career? I would think you should snip out the last few of Smith’s as well to be fair.
Absolutely its fair because tendulkar's sample is even larger

Teja.

Global Moderator
Tendulkar's 150 peak would be over 19 years which would be more than Smith's career even with 150 tests though. It's entirely fair.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol. In this hypothetical scenario Smith would probably be only 1500 or so runs short of Sachin's run scoring record in 50 less tests. The century record would be either broken or very close to it.

There wouldn't be a non-Indian on the planet who have any hesitation declaring him the number 2 after BRadman

Teja.

Global Moderator
Lol. In this hypothetical scenario Smith would probably be only 1500 or so runs short of Sachin's run scoring record in 50 less tests. The century record would be either broken or very close to it.

There wouldn't be a non-Indian on the planet who have any hesitation declaring him the number 2 after BRadman
I mean 150 tests averaging 59 has been done before.

If Indians bias is your argument, good luck, haha.

OverratedSanity

Actually in this hypothetical, tendulkar would have the literally the same numbers over the same 150 test stretch. And a few meh tests on top.

Playing meh for 30-40 tests (Sachin) > not playing cricket (hypothetical Smith)

mr_mister

@teja Yeah maybe I shouldn't have said that part. I take it back. But still the 150 tests averaging 59 has been done as a peak not as a career.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Then it becomes advantageous to continue playing even if you average 0 for like another 100 tests so no one can match your 200 test peak.
We're comparing a hypothetical bloke averaging 60 over 125 tests with a bloke averaging 60 over 150 tests. I don't see why you should punish Sachin for averaging late 30s as a 16 yo.

mr_mister

Actually in this hypothetical, tendulkar would have the literally the same numbers over the same 150 test stretch. And a few meh tests on top.

Playing meh for 30-40 tests (Sachin) > not playing cricket (hypothetical Smith)
reply to Daemon his arguments are smarter than mine