• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Please stop making these ignorant posts intended to bait me.
Er… do you even know what ignorant means? This is irony of the highest degree.

No need to take it personally, champ. Just because I exposed you for being clueless about Barrington you don't need to start throwing low-blows by making it seem as though you're being baited. But whatever kiddo, white flag acknowledged.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah bro that's just straight up false. O'Reilly, Lindwall & Miller are often picked in Aus Xis. Ditto for Larwood & Verity for England. There's also a very strong case for Bedser & Rhodes. Constantine misses out due to the great post-war Windies pacers, but Faulkner is often considered a first choice for South Africa. One of either Singh & Nissar are occasionally chosen to open with Kapil for India whilst Cowie just about walks into the NZ side. By the way, we are the hardcore fans, & we talk about these players all the time.

I've hardly seen any Bodyline talk in this thread. That's more of a topic for casual fans.

And don't be foolish, Donald crushes McGrath.
You were doing quite well until this, which is problematic tstl.

Burgey

Honestly, why does this matter? Tich Freeman is undoubtedly greater than Daniel Vettori if you're willing to exclude your conscious bias (not the right word) against pre-1960 cricketers.

On your pre-1960 point, I believe that Steve Smith would perform better than Sir Don in today's conditions, Kirsten ahead of Hobbs, Warner ahead of Gavaskar, etc.. To get around this I effectively rate players from the 1920s and 2000s (for two examples) separately and then slide their ratings together to obtain my rankings. This is the best way to form an XI without doing this:

Smith
Warner
Bradman
Smith
Kohli
Kallis
ABDV +
Warne
Steyn
Mura
McGrath

Standards have risen hugely since the 20s and 30s but it's only fair to judge people based on their performance in their era IMO. That does not mean I bar standards like Q Opposition, bowling stocks, pitch surfaces, etc.. It just means that I will not do some stupid judgements based on modern-day coaching, larger player pools, and so on.
Smith so good he gets to bat twice. Love it.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Er… do you even know what ignorant means? This is irony of the highest degree.

No need to take it personally, champ. Just because I exposed you for being clueless about Barrington you don't need to start throwing low-blows by making it seem as though you're being baited. But whatever kiddo, white flag acknowledged.
Once again, you’ve clearly missed the point of my posts, but why should I be surprised.

Burgey

I don't understand this Coronis & jimmy101 cat fighting. Is it a CW based thing or has there been angst on another forum which has spilled over here? Both seem pretty decent fellas generally from what I've had to do with them, and tbh it's a bit sad to get into a fight over Ken Barrington, who no one has ever seemed to give a toss about, even when he was playing.

I need to know what's doing, because it seems to me a waste of energy to be arguing among yourselves here when there are perfectly mediocre Indian supporters ripe for the picking after their side got belted last night.

Seriously fellas, sometimes you have to go for the low hanging fruit.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It's moreso I just feel inclined to stamp out his falsehoods. If they go unchecked people might be gullible enough to believe them. Just annoys me when people with no idea about cricket from bygone eras try to assert themselves on such matters with a smug sense of self-satisfaction.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It's moreso I just feel inclined to stamp out his falsehoods. If they go unchecked people might be gullible enough to believe them. Just annoys me when people with no idea about cricket from bygone eras try to assert themselves on such matters with a smug sense of self-satisfaction.
Being personally attacked with patently false drivel like this is just not something I take kindly to.

In the past I’ve been pissed off with personal arguments from others derailing threads so I’ll just not discuss this topic with him at this time.

ataraxia

International Coach
I mean, its not the worst side I’ve ever seen. Pollock opening is an interesting one as is Philander.
I couldn't find anything worse than that somehow; normally the internet is filled with English XIs like:

Cook
Strauss
Root
Pietersen
Botham
Flintoff
Prior +
Archer
Broad
Swann
Anderson

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotta admit, cricket magazines aren't really as good as they used to be. Was in the newsagent earlier this morning & came across this. Can't believe I paid $17.00 for this...