• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Logan

U19 Captain
I, and many other Australians have no problem with Murali’s action. If people can’t accept that he was cleared by the ICC well thats their own problem. Perhaps they should read the actual papers written.

Thanks for the reply.

It wasn’t a racist post. I know many Aussies who accept that Sachin and Lara > Ponting. Whether it is here or PakPassion or Reddit or even on Facebook, there are many vocal Aussie fans who downgrade Murali’s achievements.

Anyway thanks

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
To make Spark's post abundantly clear, cut it out.

Any further posts on Murali's action or whether discussing players on a regional basis is or is not racist will be hit with further infractions.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To steer back to the topic,, I do think Imran is the greatest SC cricketer but also agree with hurricane that Kapil is the greatest Indian cricketer.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Put it this way.

There have been about 15 odd batsmen considered as Top Tier batsmen since World War 2 ended.

How many of them were openers? Gavaskar.

How many of them were middle order batsmen? Everyone else.
Awful lot of caveats to reach that conclusion.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I consider Kallis to be the greatest African player of all time. However, I’m sure more people would have Steyn in their AT XI than Kallis. Does that mean Kallis is not the greatest African cricketer of all time?
I actually do consider Steyn the greatest South African. He as a bowler and his ranking as such supercedes what Kallis is aleven as an all rounder.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Can't believe I copt this for pointing out obvious racism which I did not start. I guess I'm now allowed to ask who is the greatest brown cricketer ever?
Bill Brown easily.

Alistair Brown was an ODI hack whereas Pat Brown has time on his side to prove he isn't a T20 hack.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually do consider Steyn the greatest South African. He as a bowler and his ranking as such supercedes what Kallis is aleven as an all rounder.
Kallis was a rock in the middle order and a giant of the game. Nobody has any right to have the sort of numbers he does tbh. For a decade and a bit he was one of the best batsmen around and one of, if not the best 5th bowler ever too. You've got to be approaching Bradman levels of good as a bowler to be a more valuable asset to the team imo.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think I can see what kyear is saying tbh, a strike bowler is more valuable than a batsman. But Kallis' bowling and slip catching made him too complete to not be the best south african imo.

Logan

U19 Captain
If we are ridiculously comparing batsmen and bowlers to all rounders, I would say Marshall as a bowler is a first choice pick over Sobers as an all rounder in my ATG team. Just like I would pick Steyn over Kallis.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I can see what kyear is saying tbh, a strike bowler is more valuable than a batsman. But Kallis' bowling and slip catching made him too complete to not be the best south african imo.
And I see your argument and to a point agree. Kallis was a 3 tier ATG batsman (Bradman, then the Sobers, Smith, Lara, Sachin, Hutton etc , then Kallis, Ponting etc), and while possibly the best 5th option ever, a sub par ATG bowler and a top tier slip fielder. Imo as a package, only behind Sobers and ahead of Hadlee, Imran etc in that order. But Steyn is in my opinion a top 3 bowler of all time.

As I said I could be wrong, and I could accept both arguments, it's a tough one to measure.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
However if he was consistent, he should consider Marshall> Sobers which doesnt sound right either tbh
This one is even more difficult. I hope this isn't a regional bias, bit I consider Marshall the greatest bowler ever and at worst top 3, so definitely top tier. As a batsman again sub par, but more than adequate no 8.
Sobers was a 2nd tier ATG batsman and legitimate leading contender for best after Bradman. An absolute top tier performer in the cordon and again quite sub par ATG level bowler, but the most versatile bowler ever and as his peak as a fast bowler great. He and Benaud also greatly contributed to revitalizing the sport and players the sport how it was to be played.

It's a tighter comparison, and both are in my top 5 cricketers of. All time.

Logan

U19 Captain
Just curious. Why is it Imran Khan?

Sachin Tendulkar is arguably the greatest Test batsman not named Don Bradman and arguably the best ODI batsman too.

Muttiah Muralitharan is arguably the greatest spin bowler ever in both formats.

While Imran Khan was a great bowler, he is a Top 10 Test bowler at best. Very good all rounder but not the best.

Last edited: