• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I have also struggled with the notion that Murali was a great fielder. I dont think he was horrible but basically his bowling dominance is helping him surely.

I think Nathan Lyon is a better fielder. From the past, Roger Harper was a gun fielder too and just missed out on my team.

Im naming my team again

1 Herschelle Gibbs
2 Tillakaratne Dilshan
3 Allan Border c
4 Paul Collingwood
5 Jonty Rhodes
6 Andrew Symonds
7 Glenn Maxwell
8 Ravindra Jadeja
9 Chris Harris
10 Dwayne Bravo
11 James Foster+

12 Mohammad Kaif

This would be so fun watching them field for 50 overs.

Bowling order
1 Bravo
2 Collingwood
3 Symonds
4 Harris
5 Jadeja
6 Dilshan
7 Maxwell
8 Border

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Not an ATG XI but just a little ranking I’ve been thinking about.

Bradman
Sobers
Hobbs
Tendulkar
Hammond
Headley
Pollock
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Chappell

Reserving judgement on Smith til his career is finished (or at least much closer to finished).

Marshall
McGrath
Barnes
Murali
Warne
Hadlee
Steyn
Ambrose
O’Reilly
Trueman

Barnes is hard to rate.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've found it pretty amusing that most subcontinental posters here consider murali an excellent fielder while non SC posters are usually skeptical. Probably because we watched more odis involving murali in the 90s tbh.

TheJediBrah

Glenn Maxwell is another massively overrated fielder. He's not even close to the same league as Ponting, Symonds, Rhodes. I don't even think Maxwell is much above average.

I've found it pretty amusing that most subcontinental posters here consider murali an excellent fielder while non SC posters are usually skeptical. Probably because we watched more odis involving murali in the 90s tbh.
I'm absolutely open to the possibility that he was a good fielder in the 90s (which I never saw) and then just turned to **** in the 00s.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
But seriously, wasn't like Upul Chandana a miles better fielder and I think Mahanama too? I picked Dilshan in my team, I picked Jadeja, I had Kaif as 12th man and Raina was really good too. I watched enough 90s ODIs to know he wasn't diabolical. But I just can't see how he is even in the conversation for best fielders or best fielding spinners.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maxwell is in the top few fielders of the modern era but honestly fielding standards have dropped over the last few years.

OverratedSanity

But seriously, wasn't like Upul Chandana a miles better fielder and I think Mahanama too? I picked Dilshan in my team, I picked Jadeja, I had Kaif as 12th man and Raina was really good too. I watched enough 90s ODIs to know he wasn't diabolical. But I just can't see how he is even in the conversation for best fielders or best fielding spinners.
Nah that's fair, Chandamana and especially Mahanama were indeed better.

vcs

Where does Jadeja rank among the great fielders? He's fabulous at run-outs, running catches and pretty much everywhere in the out-field, but he's dropped a few as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Where does Jadeja rank among the great fielders? He's fabulous at run-outs, running catches and pretty much everywhere in the out-field, but he's dropped a few as well.
Yeah he's hard to rate. I think I tend to under-rated him as I have an inherit Test bias and I wouldn't want him fielding for my side in a Test.

In Test or even FC games, not dropping sitters is worth so much more than all the Hollywood things he does, but it's not really true in ODIs.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Was hyped up as the next big thing, but turned out to be **** XI

Salman Butt
Imran Nazir
Sanjay Manjrekar
Mark Ramprakash
Mohammad Ashraful
Azhar Mehmood
Sadanand Vishwanath
Mohammad Sami
Dilhara Fernando
Narendra Hirwani
Laxman Sivaramakrishnan

12th Man : Umar Akmal ( to be upgraded by end of career)

Logan

U19 Captain
What is the general consensus about India’s best spinners. I would love to know who people think are the best spinners from India. Can anyone rank India’s best spinners

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I would say any of Gupte, Kumble, Bedi, Chandra, Ashwin or Jadeja. Mankad(a level below others on pure bowling), Ashwin and Jadeja are the best cricketers in that list.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would say any of Gupte, Kumble, Bedi, Chandra, Ashwin or Jadeja. Mankad(a level below others on pure bowling), Ashwin and Jadeja are the best cricketers in that list.
I thought Prasanna, Chandra and Bedi were all considered to be the same tier

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps a bit premature but....

2010’s

Cook
Warner
Sangakkara
Smith
Kohli
de Villiers+
Shakib
Herath
Steyn
Rabada
Anderson

Dunno who should captain. Stokes unlucky to miss out behind Shakib.

00’s squad to battle them

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting*
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist+
Pollock
Murali
Akhtar
McGrath

Steyn would make it over Pollock if this wasn’t to vs the 2010’s.

edit: oops forgot herath

Last edited: