• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanga kept in over 300 of his ODIs. He's more than capable to keep here.

Basically once Kaluwitharana retired, Sanga was SL's ODI keeper until retirement.
He's probably the right choice, but keeping for a lot of ODIs doesn't mean he was a great keeper. Andy Flower kept for nearly a decade didn't he? He was an atrocious keeper.

ftr I don't think Sangakkara was a terrible keeper, he was pretty decent.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's probably the right choice, but keeping for a lot of ODIs doesn't mean he was a great keeper. Andy Flower kept for nearly a decade didn't he? He was an atrocious keeper.

ftr I don't think Sangakkara was a terrible keeper, he was pretty decent.
You have to be somewhat competent to keep to Murali.

TheJediBrah

Nah yeah I've come around to Sanga being the right choice. I just lean towards wanting a very, very good keeper for an ATG side but that's just me. I definitely don't think Sanga was incompetent, or that he was Andy Flower-level bad

SachinFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What is your all time test XI

Mine:

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman (captain)
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Gary Sobers (vice captain)
Kumara Sangakkara (wicket-keeper)
Imran Khan
Glenn Mcgrath
Allan Donald
Shane Warne

Some callouts - wherever there are possible equals, I choose the player from an under-represented team than an over-represented one. For example, I can choose Adam Gilchrist as keeper, but given that there are many from Australia and none from Lanka in the team, I went for Sangakkara. Same for Donald in lieu of Lillee or Marshall.

Sorry NZ (not that anyone cares), if Shane Bond had gone on to have a long career, I am sure he would have eclipsed Mcgrath, Lillee, Donald et al. as one the greatest fast bowler of all times.

Last edited:

Burgey

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Hammond
Border (c)
Sobers
Gilchrist (+)
Imran/ Davidson (depending whether I want the left arm variation)
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

Tendulkar, Lara, Richards, V very unlucky

SachinFan

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Hammond
Border (c)
Sobers
Gilchrist (+)
Imran/ Davidson (depending whether I want the left arm variation)
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

Tendulkar, Lara, Richards, V very unlucky
Rationale behind choosing Border in lieu of Tendulkar or Lara? Both seem to be a far better test batsman than Border, everything considered.

harsh.ag

Mine:

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman (captain)
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Gary Sobers (vice captain)
Kumara Sangakkara (wicket-keeper)
Imran Khan
Glenn Mcgrath
Allan Donald
Shane Warne
Why not go for Murali and Gilly in place of Warne-Sanga? Makes the team a bit stronger.

SachinFan

Why not go for Murali and Gilly in place of Warne-Sanga? Makes the team a bit stronger.
How come stronger? Personally I favour Warne above Murali, Murali's record outside his home ground are mostly pedestrian (except England). Warne did well in much wider variety of grounds.

MrPrez

International Debutant
How come stronger? Personally I favour Warne above Murali, Murali's record outside his home ground are mostly pedestrian (except England). Warne did well in much wider variety of grounds.
Even if you believe that, there is a much bigger benefit to having Gilchrist over Sanga than there is having Warne over Murali.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Barry Richards
Ian Chappell (c)
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Kim Hughes
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Richard Hadlee
Joel Garner
Dennis Lillee
Michael Holding

* Sobers, Chappelli and Viv can handle the spin load

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Ah, didn't know you thought Warne is appreciably better than Murali. Makes sense.

SachinFan

Even if you believe that, there is a much bigger benefit to having Gilchrist over Sanga than there is having Warne over Murali.
In ODIs I understand, but in tests? Gilly provides much bigger advantage over Sangakkara? In what way? Because his hardhitting that can alter the course of the match on his day?

SachinFan

Barry Richards
Ian Chappell (c)
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Kim Hughes
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Richard Hadlee
Joel Garner
Dennis Lillee
Michael Holding

* Sobers, Chappelli and Viv can handle the spin load
Kim Hughes, really? Ponting, Steve Waugh, Hayden, Langer will be a better choice on any day IMO. Not to mention Lara, Tendulkar or Kallis! Sobers can be a decent spinner, but probably not sufficient to clear the opposition on a spinning track, might need the wizardry of Warne or Murali.

P.S Did Ian Chappell ever open in tests?

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Barry Richards
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Ricky Ponting
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

harsh.ag

You reckon Murali is better? Possible, but can you explain your stance?
Don't think there is much either way as pure bowlers. Warne's batting and slip catching makes him slightly preferable a pick.

But would much rather have Gilly over Sanga as wk-bat at #7. Can't really judge what Sanga's batting would have been like if he has been keeping full time. You know what you're getting with Gilly.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Kim Hughes, really? Ponting, Steve Waugh, Hayden, Langer will be a better choice on any day IMO. Not to mention Lara, Tendulkar or Kallis! Sobers can be a decent spinner, but probably not sufficient to clear the opposition on a spinning track, might need the wizardry of Warne or Murali.

P.S Did Ian Chappell ever open in tests?
Kim Hughes is one of the most exciting batsmen I've ever seen, which was the theme of the XI. In regards to spinners, Sobers is definitely enough given the 4-prong pace attack + Viv and the Chappells as part-timers (WI seemed to do well without a spinner). As for Ian Chappell, he batted at 3 his whole career so opening shouldn't be a huge difference (I originally had Warner, but needed Chappelli in the team for his aggressive captaincy).

Last edited:

SachinFan

Don't think there is much either way as pure bowlers. Warne's batting and slip catching makes him slightly preferable a pick.

But would much rather have Gilly over Sanga as wk-bat at #7. Can't really judge what Sanga's batting would have been like if he has been keeping full time. You know what you're getting with Gilly.
Fair enough.