• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
I do feel Sunny is underrated on here not making it in some ATG great sides - however would not go as far as saying he is better than Sir Viv.
Sunny's record against the West Indian quicks, arguably best bowling attack of all time, should have him locked down in an ATG side in my opinion.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do feel Sunny is underrated on here not making it in some ATG great sides - however would not go as far as saying he is better than Sir Viv.
Sunny's record against the West Indian quicks, arguably best bowling attack of all time, should have him locked down in an ATG side in my opinion.
The problem if you can only have 2 openers and most would rank him the indisputable 3rd greatest by a hair's breadth.

Bolo

State Captain
I guess mine would be a bit different.

Bradman

Richards / Sobers / Tendulkar

Lara / Chappell / Hammond / Hobbs/ Hutton / Ponting

Pollock / Headley/ Kallis / Gavaskar / Richards / Sangakkara /Border

Sure I missed out some names, and not sure where Kholi and Smith belongs quite as yet. But basically that's somewhat my tier list.
Your list is very similar to mine. You have added a bunch of openers. Hammond is one of the greatest, but I'm leaving him out on your Hobbs logic. I don't fancy Ponting, but everyone else I put on about the same level as Kallis, but they aren't worth a mention in context because of the bowling thing.

Except for Pollock, who I don't bother rating most of the time, but have gone full pom-pom for after thinking about your Barry logic.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
CW favorites

Bradman, Viv, Miller, Imran, Marshall, G. Chappell, Trumper, Hobbs, Hutton, Mcgrath, Ambrose .. Etc

So.. So
Sachin, Lara, Sobers the batsman, Hadlee, Warne, Murali, Steyn, Kallis, Headley, Barry.. Etc

Not so

Akram, Lillee, Gavaskar, Kapil, Procter, Donald, Barnes, Trueman, Ranji, Sobers the allrounder, Worrell, Rice.. Etc

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs, Sobers, Viv and Sachin

Only these 4 and Bradman can be rated indisputably more respected batsman than Sunny Gavaskar.

Lara, Hutton, Pollock, Headley, Hammond, Ranji, Trumper, Barry.. Etc are in Same League.
I said 3 to 5. So basically the 4 you named plus plus Lara

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I said 3 to 5. So basically the 4 you named plus plus Lara
I know. Thats why I replied.

For me, Lara is top 5 of alltime

My top 10 excluding Don

Gavaskar
Sobers
Sachin
Lara
Viv
Hutton
Hobbs
Headley
Hammond
Pollock

But Generally, its just Sachin, Sobers, Viv and Hobbs.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Look who is talking about trolling. You pick a side for spinning condition and omit Imran khan . On top of that you pick 2 openers none of whom have played a test match in Asia.
In my opinion Viv Richards won't even make the 2nd best ATXI side if test match has to be played in Asia. So he is not in consideration for 2nd best test batsman after Don Bradman.
1. Spinning conditions doesnt have to mean the sub continent.

2. I was selecting only players from a 16 man squad which Imran wasn't a part of. And that was just a first draft.

3. It's difficult bowling in the SC, and I chose basically Marshall, McGrath and Steyn who have proven they can. It's not hard as a batsman to succeed in the SC and Hobbs faced trickier wickets and quality spinners in helpful conditions and thrived.

With regards to Vivian and Barry, they all played in the same era as Sunny. As any bowler from the era to rate the 3. Lillee said the best 3 he bowled to was Garry, Viv and Barry

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
CW favorites

Bradman, Viv, Miller, Imran, Marshall, G. Chappell, Trumper, Hobbs, Hutton, Mcgrath, Ambrose .. Etc

So.. So
Sachin, Lara, Sobers the batsman, Hadlee, Warne, Murali, Steyn, Kallis, Headley, Barry.. Etc

Not so

Akram, Lillee, Gavaskar, Kapil, Procter, Donald, Barnes, Trueman, Ranji, Sobers the allrounder, Worrell, Rice.. Etc
Sorry, I just had to respond to this one. http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...ers-here-countdown-thread-23.html#post3990691

Chrish

International Debutant
Is Wally Hammond bit overrated as a batsman? From everything I have read, several folks from his era have stated that he didn’t like facing pace bowling. Also, iirc he was considered off side player and said to have weakness around leg stump.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I guess mine would be a bit different.

Bradman

Richards / Sobers / Tendulkar

Lara / Chappell / Hammond / Hobbs/ Hutton / Ponting

Pollock / Headley/ Kallis / Gavaskar / Richards / Sangakkara /Border

Sure I missed out some names, and not sure where Kholi and Smith belongs quite as yet. But basically that's somewhat my tier list.
The higher Richards being Viv, the lower being Barry?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Wally Hammond bit overrated as a batsman? From everything I have read, several folks from his era have stated that he didn’t like facing pace bowling. Also, iirc he was considered off side player and said to have weakness around leg stump.
I have read about his dislike and sometimes discomfort re short pitched fast bowling. It's been a while but don't recall the legside Not, but admittedly haven't been doing much reading the past few years.

To be honest though, and my rating of Hammond is influenced by the above. Every batsman, and that very much includes Bradman and off the top of my head, the possible exclusion of Sachin, has holes or weaknesses in their records or history.

Sobers batted at 6, Lara was a touch inconsistent and dubr fancy the express stuff, Viv had a comparatively short peak, Kallis rarely dominated / took over an attack or series, Hobbs level of pre war opposition can be questioned outside of Gregory, Bradman faced his share of minnows, didn't travel except to England, played primarily before the lbw rule change and some have mentioned mentioned that even the umpires were aware of who the main attraction was in the game. Pollock and Headley played very short careers and against limited opposition. And I could go on. No one was perfect (though struggling to recall shortcomings for Hutton and Sachin).

Slifer

International Captain
I have read about his dislike and sometimes discomfort re short pitched fast bowling. It's been a while but don't recall the legside Not, but admittedly haven't been doing much reading the past few years.

To be honest though, and my rating of Hammond is influenced by the above. Every batsman, and that very much includes Bradman and off the top of my head, the possible exclusion of Sachin, has holes or weaknesses in their records or history.

Sobers batted at 6, Lara was a touch inconsistent and dubr fancy the express stuff, Viv had a comparatively short peak, Kallis rarely dominated / took over an attack or series, Hobbs level of pre war opposition can be questioned outside of Gregory, Bradman faced his share of minnows, didn't travel except to England, played primarily before the lbw rule change and some have mentioned mentioned that even the umpires were aware of who the main attraction was in the game. Pollock and Headley played very short careers and against limited opposition. And I could go on. No one was perfect (though struggling to recall shortcomings for Hutton and Sachin).
Add Greg Chappell to the list of practically faultless batsmen.