• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australasian Unlikely Cult Cricketers XI

Mark Richardson
David Boon
Doug Walters (c)
Jeremy Coney
Greg Matthews
Chris Harris
Lance Cairns
Merv Hughes
Max Walker
Ewen Chatfield
Chris Martin

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England All Time XI

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton*

Ken Barrington
Wally Hammond
WG Grace

Andrew Flintoff (5)
Ian Botham (2)
Alan Knott +

Harold Larwood (3)
Fred Trueman (1)
Sydney Barnes (4)

listento_me

U19 Captain
I'm gonna do an ATG West Indies side but it's just a quickie off the top of my head so is subject to change:

1. Greenidge
2. Haynes
3. Richards
4. Lara
5. Lloyd c
6. Sobers
7. Dujon wk
8. Gibbs
9. Marshall
10. Holding
11. Ambrose

listento_me

U19 Captain
England:

1. Hobbs
2. Cook
3. Hammond
4. KP
5. Gooch
6. Stewart wk
7. Botham
8. Flintoff
9. Swann
10. Trueman
11. Anderson

again subject to change

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
England All Time XI

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton*

Ken Barrington
Wally Hammond
WG Grace

Andrew Flintoff (5)
Ian Botham (2)
Alan Knott +

Harold Larwood (3)
Fred Trueman (1)
Sydney Barnes (4)
Mine is:

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
May
Grace
Botham
Knott
Larwood
Barnes
Trueman
Laker

Zinzan

I'm gonna do an ATG West Indies side but it's just a quickie off the top of my head so is subject to change:

1. Greenidge
2. Haynes
3. Richards
4. Lara
5. Lloyd c
6. Sobers
7. Dujon wk
8. Gibbs
9. Marshall
10. Holding
11. Ambrose
Is this a post 1970s side?

You've left some pretty incredible batsmen out for the likes of Haynes, Lloyd & Dujon (Walcott kept wicket), most notably Headley & the 3 Ws.

Red

1. Greenidge
2. Haynes
3. Richards
4. Lara
5. Lloyd c
6. Sobers
7. Dujon wk
8. Gibbs
9. Marshall
10. Holding
11. Ambrose

My WI side would be

Greenidge
Worrell *
Headley
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Walcott +
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Gibbs

Cheating a bit having Walcott keep wickets but it makes the side amazing.

Zinzan

My WI side would be

Greenidge
Worrell *
Headley
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Walcott +
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Gibbs

Cheating a bit having Walcott keep wickets but it makes the side amazing.
Not really, doesn't almost everyone do it?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I think the Worrell side had a (marginally) superior batting line-up than Lloyd/Richard's sides: Kanhai, Sobers, Worrell, Basil Butcher, Solomon. Their only problem was Conrad Hunte didn't have an established opening partner.

Zinzan

Cook over Sutcliffe and Hutton?
That is really weird, considering how many neutral folks have Hobbs & Hutton making their all-time world XI, even ahead of the great Sunny Gavaskar.

Flintoff making England's greatest ever Test side is also a bit of a joke truth be told imo.

My Greatest English XI would be,

Hutton*
Sutcliffe
Hobbs
Hammond 6
Compton/May/Barrington (can't split them off the top of my head)
Botham 3
Knott+
Larwood 2
Trueman 1
Laker 5
Barnes 4

Tough to decide on my number 5, but not tough to decide on my bowling attack.

I know Hobbs was an opener, but no way was I leaving out Hutton, Sutcliffe, Hammond or Hobbs from this side.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
If you could guarantee the Fred of 2005 I suppose but that is a big guarantee!

I began to write mine out and ended up with essentially the 1950's team with Hobbs (for Sutcliffe), Hammond - and with Botham and Knott placed in that middle order! I think this is what usually happens, showing how the Hutton/May teams are eminent, both with bat and ball. I mean why settle for Anderson or somebody when you have have Fiery Fred, Tyson or Statham? Why 'KP' or Bell when you have May, Graveney, Barrington, Dexter, Compton - not to mention the earlier Hammond? I suppose a few more from the Close/Illingworth era could get in, Snow or Willis (for the pacemen) or Underwood (for Laker)?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
That is really weird, considering how many neutral folks have Hobbs & Hutton making their all-time world XI, even ahead of the great Sunny Gavaskar.

Flintoff making England's greatest ever Test side is also a bit of a joke truth be told imo.

My Greatest English XI would be,

Hutton*
Sutcliffe
Hobbs
Hammond 6
Compton/May/Barrington (can't split them off the top of my head)
Botham 3
Knott+
Larwood 2
Trueman 1
Laker 5
Barnes 4

Tough to decide on my number 5, but not tough to decide on my bowling attack.

I know Hobbs was an opener, but no way was I leaving out Hutton, Sutcliffe, Hammond or Hobbs from this side.
No problem with that side, or putting one of the 3 at #3. Those 4 batsmen are well ahead of any other Englishmen that its worth it.

Red

Reckon the English side is the hardest to strike a balance with, you have to include Botham but is he good enough for 6 in this exercise? Sometimes including Les Ames makes a side look better.

Hobbs
Hutton
Ranji
Hammond
Compton
Ames +
Botham
Larwood
Trueman
Laker
Barnes

Botham at 7 looks stronger and gives 5 legit bowling options plus Hammond.

Red

The SA team is a fun combo, also

B.Richards
Smith *
Kallis
G.Pollock
Nourse
AB DeVilliers +
Faulkner/Pollock
Procter
Tayfield
Steyn
Donald

That's insanely strong if you consider AB good enough to keep wickets (I do). Faulkner, Procter, Pollock and Tayfield can all be exchanged with each other depending on conditions.

Red

Not really, doesn't almost everyone do it?
He only kept in about 1/3 of his tests. Keepers with long careers should be honoured, but it's too tempting to put in AB or Walcott into these teams sometimes!

listento_me

U19 Captain
Is this a post 1970s side?

You've left some pretty incredible batsmen out for the likes of Haynes, Lloyd & Dujon (Walcott kept wicket), most notably Headley & the 3 Ws.
No it's all time.

I initially had Headley in my side but in a team with Lara and Lloyd, I'd have Sobers down at 7 which is unacceptable.

Like I said, it's not a properly researched side but there's no denying Richards and Lara are the best batsmen from the Windies, Lloyds has to be in there on the back of very good batting and ofc captaincy, Sobers place can't be denied and Marshall and Holding surely as bowlers and Gibbs as spinner.

Other names are up for debate no doubts and the Ws could make it in too but its all about team structure and where they fit into the core structure, the spine if you will. It just so happens, the Windies spine is 6 atgs. It's just ridiculous quality meaning other quality may have to be left out.

listento_me

U19 Captain
All time Pakistan and India XIs to follow, again, I'm just doing this cos I have some time on my hands and its not set in stone lol (Can any all time XI ever be?) so here goes:

Pakistan:

1. H. Muhammad
2. S. Anwar
3. Y. Khan
4. J. Miandad
5. M. Yousuf
6. I. Khan c
7. W. Bari wk
8. W. Akram
9. A. Qadir
10. S. Akhtar
11. W. Younis

Mushy, Shaqy and Ajmal all get left out but could find their way in depending on conditions, Inzy too which may be a shock to some. I could have included an extra bat and gone in with 4 proper bowlers and some part time work from Hanif and Younis.

India:

1. S. Gavaskar
2. V. Sehwag
3. R. Dravid c
4. S. Tendulkar
5. S. Ganguly
6. MS. Dhoni wk
7. K. Dev
8. A. Kumble
9. Z. Khan
10. J. Srinath
11. B. Bedi

Hazare, Laxman and Azharuddin miss out for various reasons, most of all my feeling that I had to make some room for Ganguly, not just because of his gutsy batting but the new, aggressive attitude he brought to India. There's not much to say about the lack of pace bowling but Dev, Khan and Srinath were all good on their day and obviously Dev's importance as a bridge between the batsmen and the bowlers.