• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Third seamer was the big call there. Went with Snow for variety.
Snow over Bedser is interesting but I think I agree with it.

Snow doesn't have outstanding output but he had two ATG series and both away from home which is a point of difference among England bowlers.

Last edited:

BazBall21

I actually rate Snow over Statham. Pure output probably isn't as good overall but think he has enough scope to be judged as the superior bowler. Better record v top sides and played in less bowler-friendly times. Suspect he was the more penetrative of the two on flat pitches.

Obviously a rung below FST though.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
I actually rate Snow over Statham. Pure output probably isn't as good overall but think he has enough scope to be judged as the superior bowler. Better record v top sides and played in less bowler-friendly times. Suspect he was the more penetrative of the two on flat pitches.

Obviously a rung below FST though.
I will probably still go with Bedser, whom I rate clearly higher than Statham, Willis and Snow; Trueman and Larwood for his sheer pace, as the side need a high pacer.

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
7 Test Match Series held in England and New Zealand (You can choose any player of your choice) - Polar Trophy (North Pole - England, South Pole - New Zealand) will be handed by Elizabeth 2 for the winner.
1st Test - Christchurch
2nd Test - Wellington
3rd Test - Auckland
4th Test - Lord's
5th Test - Nottingham
6th Test - Leeds
Whoever gets a Lead after 6 Tests can choose the Venue of 7th Test.

Who will Win this Prestigious Championship ? (Only Players from 1975-2024 are selected to celebrate 50 Years of Modern Cricket)
The Winner of this Trophy will progress to next stage..

download.jpg

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Openers: England much better
Middle order: NZ slightly better but England likely to have a better base to work from and have lefthanders for variety
Tail: NZ much better

Opening bowlers & 3rd bowler: about even (Hadlee clearly the best but Cairns the worst)
4th seamer and spinner: about even (Wagner much better than Flintoff but Swann much better than Vettori).

Keeping and slip fielding: NZ better

Captaincy: Williamson > Gooch

Overall: Close

Last edited:

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Middle order: NZ slightly better but England likely to have a better base to work from and have lefthanders for variety

Opening bowlers & 3rd bowler: about even (Hadlee clearly the best but Cairns the worst)
4th seamer and spinner: about even (Wagner much better than Flintoff but Swann much better than Vettori).

Speight's and Newcastle Brown Ale with Fish and Chips are served at the Tournament.

BazBall21

3-5s are close but I think I'd just take England's just. Don't quite rate Ross Taylor in the same company as the other five batters. Root slightly better than Kane imo. Crowe slightly better than Gower.

If you take Flintoff at 8 out then NZ do have significantly better batting depth, but Broad/Gough can compete with their opposite number Wagner on bowling better.

Hadlee factor is big and he chokeslams Anderson but I'd take Willis over either one of Southee/Boult and either one of Underwood/Swann a long way ahead of Vettori.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
3-5s are close but I think I'd just take England's just. Don't quite rate Ross Taylor in the same company as the other five batters. Root slightly better than Kane imo. Crowe slightly better than Gower.

If you take Flintoff at 8 out then NZ do have significantly better batting depth, but Broad/Gough can compete with their opposite number Wagner on bowling better.

Hadlee factor is big and he chokeslams Anderson but I'd take Willis over either one of Southee/Boult and either one of Underwood/Swann a long way ahead of Vettori.
I did the rating on CF90s' teams with the pics in post #23, 932. I would select several different players if picking teams for the respective nations, and from those perhaps put England slightly ahead.