• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread (white ball edition)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There we go guys, do as thou wilt.

(Could a mod put "test edition" on the real thread?)

aussie tragic

International Captain
Brilliant. Even more so if all the multi format ramblings can go here as well instead of the ATG test thread :)

Last edited:

Red

I'll kick it off:

M.Waugh
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Jones
Watson
Symonds
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Starc
McGrath

aussie tragic

International Captain
Watson as opener I understand, but at 5 with Hussey at 7 I don't understand. I'd play Chappell at 4, Jones, Symonds and then Bevan at 7.

Red

Yeh, Watto can go up to open, but I'd keep Jr. and pop him down the order anyhow.

And I'd have Hussey > Bevan, but that's generally known here

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sachin
Ganguly
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni (c) (wk)
Raina
Kapil
Harbhajan
Kumble
Zaheer
Bumrah

Ganguly over Rohit, Dhawan etc because I want to keep the 90s combo and also because Ganguly can bowl some seam and I feel bowling options are always good to have in a white ball team. Raina over the other MO contenders for now as no one has really stepped up but I expect Pandya to make that spot his own in the future (and who knows, Pant might throw his hat in the ring as well). I don't think its in any doubt that Bhajji and Kumble have been two of our best spinners in ODIs and they both can contribute with the bat as well. Feel rest of the picks are self explanatory, I do like the idea of Kuldeep replacing Bhajji at some point, will give us bowlers of all 4 varieties of spin in the XI.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think Yuvi > Azhar. Won't be the worst fielding side either as long as we can hide Kumble somewhere. The openers to stand at the slips.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In what order do you rate Australian openers?

Gilchrist
Waugh
Hayden
Watson
Warner
Boon
Marsh?
Taylor?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Waugh above Gilly as a pure batsman IMO. Watson probably #3 for me. Hayden seemed to under achieve in ODIs compared to tests for me.

stephen

Waugh above Gilly as a pure batsman IMO. Watson probably #3 for me. Hayden seemed to under achieve in ODIs compared to tests for me.
I'd have agreed on Hayden if it wasn't for his ODI rebirth just in time for the 2007 world cup. Had one of the best cups you'll see.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'd have agreed on Hayden if it wasn't for his ODI rebirth just in time for the 2007 world cup. Had one of the best cups you'll see.

Yeah, he was pretty awesome in that WC till Gilly kinda stole his thunder at the end. But that alone does not make up for a career of relative under-achievement IMO. And yeah Finch should be getting up there. Very possible he can be the very best. I honestly think him and Warner could go down as your two best ODI openers.

stephen

Yeah, he was pretty awesome in that WC till Gilly kinda stole his thunder at the end. But that alone does not make up for a career of relative under-achievement IMO. And yeah Finch should be getting up there. Very possible he can be the very best. I honestly think him and Warner could go down as your two best ODI openers.
No way.

Conditions favour openers way more now than ever before and Finch and Warner while good are not as good as the guys that did what they did but in tougher circumstances.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is open for interpretation. I would say Mark Waugh as an ODI opener faced easier conditions coz that era between 1996 and 2011 was full of rule changes that kept favoring batsmen and pitches flattening all over the world for this format. I actually think there is better balance today in ODIs than it was in the early part of this decade. Of course, due to advent of T20, the art of possible has gone through the roof on the flat tracks that do show up but overall I feel the rules give more chance to the fielding teams today than they did from 1996 to 2011.

bagapath

International Captain
Best possible 50 over team from 1948-68

Morris
Mankad
G. Pollock
Weekes
Walcott +
Sobers
Miller
Benaud (c)
Davidson