• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Allan Border Medal

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hey iam happy that Michael clarke got bordre medal.But what about the best one day player award to Symonds... It is fair to say that Langer deserved the award for testcricket and Clarke for Oneday cricket.....

Slow Love™

International Captain
age_master said:
hmm i thought it would have been better to give the OD award to the person from the 3 that got votes in the most games, not the most votes of 3.... for mine kaspa deserved it far more that symonds, no matter though :)
You know what, that was going through my mind at the time, regardless of who won the award.

Though it's used in a variety of sporting awards with exactly this system (counting who got the most three-vote performances, etc), the way the countback system works has always kinda confused me. I think there's an argument to be had that the player that got votes in the most games could have a reasonable claim to the award, given that they were likely more consistent throughout. Seems to be an established wisdom to do it the other way though - oh well.

On the medal itself, I have no real issue with Clarke winning, although I personally think Martyn should have won it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Crazy Sam said:
exactly right.

well done symonds - australia's best odi player :D

and some people want him dropped.... :S
Don't speak too soon - he may actually GET dropped. The best test player award didn't help Colin Miller any.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Slow Love™ said:
You know what, that was going through my mind at the time, regardless of who won the award.

Though it's used in a variety of sporting awards with exactly this system (counting who got the most three-vote performances, etc), the way the countback system works has always kinda confused me. I think there's an argument to be had that the player that got votes in the most games could have a reasonable claim to the award, given that they were likely more consistent throughout. Seems to be an established wisdom to do it the other way though - oh well.

On the medal itself, I have no real issue with Clarke winning, although I personally think Martyn should have won it.
Yes you are right i thought Martyn or Langer really deserved the Medal..... :mellow:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes you are right i thought Martyn or Langer really deserved the Medal.....
Or Steve Waugh for that matter; after winning the medal in 2001, he was dropped from the OD side within the next year. Seems as if winning it is a bit of a kiss-of-death!

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, the medal is meaningless; we all know who the best player in the Australian side was in the last year. I'd stack Martyn's 4 away tons against just about anything Clarke will do in his entire career, let alone his combined Test/OD record in the last year. Yes they were that good but also the circumstances they were made in makes them better than the actual number of runs he scored. That said, Clarke's 150-odd in his first Test did set the tone for the series.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Anyway well said Top cat.I think very soon Symonds will come under the sledge hammer of the selecters.......

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dudeurfriend said:
Anyway well said Top cat.I think very soon Symonds will come under the sledge hammer of the selecters.......
I cannot imagine why you think that, honestly. The selectors have shown time and time again that they won't drop someone because they have half a dozen bad games, unless they want to drop them for other reasons (eg steve waugh, bevan). There's no indication that Symonds will be dropped any time soon.

Josh

International Regular
Will Scarlet said:
It was a disgrace to see Eddy McGuire hosting the ABM. The guy knows nothing about cricket and there are people like AB, Benaud and co. who have been involved in TV a lot longer.

My apologies if this has already bee stated.
It was more of a disgrace to see him at the Tsunami match at the 'G

Linda

International Vice-Captain
If Martyn couldnt get the medal after THAT year, then he's never going too! Clarke was outstanding, theres no doubting that, but he didnt save matches like Martyn did, or churn out centuries like it was going out of fashion. He may not have had the best year in OD cricket, but it was anything put poor, and he should have got it.

That said, Im glad it was Clarke who got it. He really stood out like not other last year (well, perhaps except for one in my eyes!). If it wasnt him, I might have been very irritable today...