• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Age of Bert is Upon Us

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wow this is just so, so wrong.

Stephen why don't you try looking up the populations of these Queensland towns with "significant populations" and compare them to the larger towns in Vic and NSW which, by your reckoning, don't have "significant populations"
Well, if you live in the south how significant can you be.

stephen

Excluding capitals, Queensland has 9 towns in the top 19 towns by population. That's almost half. More than NSW (7), Vic (4) or WA (1) (The numbers don't add up because a number of the towns straddle borders between states).

stephen

And that population is more significant when you take it as a percentage of the size of the capital city. Melbourne has nearly 5 million people. The next biggest Victorian town has 260 thousand. Compare that to Brisbane which has 2.4 million and the Gold Cost which has 600 thousand or the sunshine coast such has 325 thousand.

stephen

TIL that Maryborough (Qld) has a more significant population than Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo or Wollongong.
Yeah ok I want looking at population stats when I made the claim. Maryborough has a lot less people than I thought. But all of the other towns you mention would be no higher than 4th on the list of towns by population if they were in Queensland.

Ballarat and Bendigo would be 7th and 8th on the list of Queensland towns, were they located in the state.

Last edited:

stephen

Anyway, sorry for derailing your thread Burgey. Remember there's always the second innings.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excluding capitals, Queensland has 9 towns in the top 19 towns by population. That's almost half. More than NSW (7), Vic (4) or WA (1) (The numbers don't add up because a number of the towns straddle borders between states).
And that population is more significant when you take it as a percentage of the size of the capital city. Melbourne has nearly 5 million people. The next biggest Victorian town has 260 thousand. Compare that to Brisbane which has 2.4 million and the Gold Cost which has 600 thousand or the sunshine coast such has 325 thousand.
fascinating

Yeah ok I wasn't looking at population stats
you don't say

Burgey

Let's be honest here, the Gold Coast is really just the southern suburbs of Brisbane.

Or, more relevantly, the northern suburbs of Tweed Heads.

stephen

fascinating

you don't say
My main point was that Queensland is the most decentralised state in Australia. WA is the opposite with 80% of its population living in Perth.

Tbh this is probably why Queenslanders view themselves as a country- within-a- country moreso than people from other states. Particularly north Queenslanders.

stephen

Let's be honest here, the Gold Coast is really just the southern suburbs of Brisbane.

Or, more relevantly, the northern suburbs of Tweed Heads.
It's getting harder and harder to tell where Brisbane ends and the Gold Coast begins whenever I drive there these days. At least there's a good half hour between Caboolture and Caloundra when heading north.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
My main point was that Queensland is the most decentralised state in Australia. WA is the opposite with 80% of its population living in Perth.

Tbh this is probably why Queenslanders view themselves as a country- within-a- country moreso than people from other states. Particularly north Queenslanders.
I would have thought SA would have been less decentralised than WA. Biggest city outside of Adelaide is Mt Gambier, has a population under 30,000 people. Kalgoorlie, Geraldton and Albany are all marginally larger, and Bunbury has well over double the population

Burgey

Probably why you have the largest number of red necks too