• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Teams you support in order

FRAZ

International Captain
toronto maple leafs (Ice hockey)
Newzealand (cricket)
Pakistan (cricket)
India (every thing)
Holland (field Hockey)
Australia (Field hockey)
Pakistan (Field hockey)
evolution (wwe)
Squash (team events ) (Pakistan , Australia , Canada)
Argentina (Soccer)
Raptors (though they suck big big time )

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, to bring this thread back up...
Neil Pickup said:
NSW, Yorkshire, and Surrey?

More bouncers for you this winter.
Richard said:
I think I shall be practising the pull and hook-strokes with a new dedication this autumn just for the sheer satisfaction of hammering the Pickup Bouncer into the mid-wicket netting.
Neil Pickup said:
I suggest you spend your time finding a sponsorship deal with a private health insurance company, instead...
Richard said:
Don't believe in the old private healthcare myself, big believer in The NHS.
And anyway, I've faced quicker Bouncers than yours and come out unhurt - I'm normally OK at avoiding injury, just not great at scoring.
But as I say, maybe I might find a newfound incentive to play the old hooks...
Neil Pickup said:
The RD&E's not far away, anyway...
Richard said:
Shame I won't be needing it. :dry:
Neil Pickup said:
Is that a challenge?
Richard said:
You hit me on the chest, arm or helmet and I'll give you a tenner.
If I smack you off the middle of the bat three times, you give me a tenner.
How'd's that sound to you?
Neil Pickup said:
Sounds good to me but the exact financial amount will be determined by my financial situation come January/whenever...
Richard said:
God, these pennyless students...
Not even having two tenners to rub together is something I have no experience of.
I'd offer to lend you £3000, but you'd probably lose it in bets against me...
Sorry about that, but said duel has taken place... and yes, you guessed it. The winner was yours truly.
Of course, due to the Pickup finances being in an unfit state (Iceland have received their weekly visit) no money was changed hands, but I was willing to play for honour anyway... and I came-up trumps.
Not only did I manage 3, I managed 4, and rarely looked like being hit either. :)
Not to blow my own trumpet, of course...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Having re-read this quote: "If I smack you off the middle of the bat three times, you give me a tenner"

None were smacks, merely deflections...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Forgetting the third one, presumably?
Was that the one that went straiiiight up in the air as you took evasive action when I found my length, hitting the gym floor just before the place the matting starts?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, if you counted that one you'd be one five.
I was being generous and didn't count that one, because it was a top-edge.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
Was that the one that went straiiiight up in the air as you took evasive action when I found my length, hitting the gym floor just before the place the matting starts?
I think the odds were against the bowler here if you were playing on gym matting inside....it's bloody hard to bowl a good bouncer on that stuff, although the clunk off the wood makes for an interesting change :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He actually didn't do too badly last spring - got 2 or 3 up to head-hight to even 6ft guys... got 1 over my head without me needing to duck... and 1 never-to-be-forgotten instance with Mike Wilkinson where he "got the Year Eight treatment" having Bounced Mike when he didn't pick it up.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
He actually didn't do too badly last spring - got 2 or 3 up to head-hight to even 6ft guys... got 1 over my head without me needing to duck... and 1 never-to-be-forgotten instance with Mike Wilkinson where he "got the Year Eight treatment" having Bounced Mike when he didn't pick it up.
hahaha - did they need to be pitch extra short to get up?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This is the first time I've bowled anything but wrist-spin since last June - and that was 3/4 pace against 12 year olds in nets. I'll be looser and in better nick next week. I just hope I can walk tomorrow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
hahaha - did they need to be pitch extra short to get up?
Compared to most indoor nets these ones are darn good, the bounce is just about realistic.

Cricket was never meant to be played indoors Richard. Sacrilege.
And for the trivia buffs: Do you people realise that the cricket ball cover used to be made from a kangaroo's ball bag and that Charlie Chaplin was the highest paid entertainer in the world in 1920? So there you go, you learn something new every day - well unless you're among the more precious variety of poster on this forum.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
Compared to most indoor nets these ones are darn good, the bounce is just about realistic.
Ahh, ok. I practiced on some indoor nets (that were matting on a gym floor) over there and the bounce was woeful. It's a bit of a haze though as I was shocked that we were practicing indoors in the first place. :D

My favourite five teams in order would be:
1. Portsmouth Plodders U13B's
2. Blackwater Crushers
3. The Jabiluca Uranium-Eaters
4. Wazza's W@nkers
5. Australia

Fine teams there Lawsy.

I would guess:

1) Lalor Park Trailer Car Park Fight Netball Under 9s
2) Balmain Tigers (under Alan Jones's inspirational tutelage)
3) Argentina 1994 version (Balbo, Batistuta, Caniggia strikeforce)
4) Corinne Grant/Kate Langbroek Downhill Comedy Slalom
5) North Cairns Aussie Rules Club

shaka

International Regular
Favourite cricket teams for me include:
1 NZ
2 SA
3 WI
4 Zim
5 Eng
6 Ind
7 Aus
8 Pak
9 Ban
10 Sri

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
I'm surprised the Rooty Hill RSL Club 2nd XI haven't had a mention Jones. Their exploits on their last trip to Coff's Harbour are widely known and admired.