• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the 2010s

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amla and Warner are both statistically superior to Cook. And Amla plays in more bowler friendly conditions. I'd take him as opener over Cook, though both make good cases for selection.
Warner is not. Cook is better than him in varied conditions. Warner tanked in India, SL, and Windies and didn't do so well in England. Cook has been better everywhere bar SA.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've had this chat before with him about Smith. It shocks you.

Nice stats padding in England then too.

https://m.cricbuzz.com/amp/cricket-...and-a-forgotten-art?__twitter_impression=true
To be clear, my point wasn't that de Villiers is some downhill skiing hack. Hes scored so many high pressure runs over the last 5 years that that's a laughable opinion. I was just balking at "AB doesn't bother scoring when SA are winning". It's demonstrably false. He scores loads of runs when the going's easy too, as a great batsman should.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Cook walks in as the first opener. The second opener spot is contentious. Smith and Kohli at 3 and 4 respectively are locks. ABDV at 5 followed by Root/Williamson at 6. Saha can keep. Steyn and Rabada walk in. Yasir Shah has been fantastic and India's spin twins have been destructive at home but the spinner spot goes to Herath for me. Anderson walks in.

I've picked players who have played or retired this year. Clarke and Younis should fit in somewhere otherwise.
Why bat Williamson at 6 when he's a 3 who averages about 54 @ 3 and struggled at 6 apart from century on debut?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Late 2000s and early 10s XI

Cook
Smith
Sangakarra
Younis
Clarke
-
Dhoni
Steyn
-
-
-

Just made the obvious picks here.
2007-2017 is a more interesting period of time. Encompasses more careers.

Cook
Amla
Sangakkara
Clarke
De Villiers
Kallis
Dhoni
Philander/Anderson
Harris
Herath
Steyn

OverratedSanity

Younis averages 51.33 @ 3, while Williamson averages 53.91 @ 3 (and NZ is harder for batting than the UAE too - particularly in the 1st innings).

If Sanga had played for a couple more years this decade, he'd be the 3.
Younis was a number 4 anyway.

I don't believe in position wise stats much anyway. Overall for the decade, younis averaged 54 to Williamson's 50, scored the same amount of tons despite playing 10 fewer tests and did better overall than KW in England/Australia/SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
To be clear, my point wasn't that de Villiers is some downhill skiing hack. Hes scored so many high pressure runs over the last 5 years that that's a laughable opinion. I was just balking at "AB doesn't bother scoring when SA are winning". It's demonstrably false. He scores loads of runs when the going's easy too, as a great batsman should.
I'm confused I thought you were responding to Bolo calling Smith a FTHB and I was agreeing with you and Morgie. :laugh:

Never come into conversations late. :)

Thats a fascinating article with Smith and opening in England though.

Last edited:

trundler

Are you dumb? o.O
It's debatable but not an absurd opinion. Batting in SA is very tough. Look at the ATG batsman SA has produced recently - they average more away than home (ABDV, Smith, Kallis etc). Opening in England is no doubt super hard too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Cook walks in as the first opener. The second opener spot is contentious. Smith and Kohli at 3 and 4 respectively are locks. ABDV at 5 followed by Root/Williamson at 6. Saha can keep. Steyn and Rabada walk in. Yasir Shah has been fantastic and India's spin twins have been destructive at home but the spinner spot goes to Herath for me. Anderson walks in.

I've picked players who have played or retired this year. Clarke and Younis should fit in somewhere otherwise.
Is Saha even in the top 10 keeper-batsmen?!?!???

I think I'd almost pick Ramdin, Wade and Khamran ahead of him.

Flem274*

123/5
daily reminder haddin can't bat or catch away from home

lacks the true manliness of an ABDV or a Watling, and can't summon the dark magic of Prior to guard his stumps

it's understandable. he is an australian sportsman, and therefore naturally weak as i have conclusively explained in another thread

vcs

Younis was a number 4 anyway.

I don't believe in position wise stats much anyway. Overall for the decade, younis averaged 54 to Williamson's 50, scored the same amount of tons despite playing 10 fewer tests and did better overall than KW in England/Australia/SA.
Williamson was brilliant in Australia in 2015 and I don't recollect Younis ever batting that well on tracks with pace and bounce.

Figures may not yet reflect it but I think he's a comfortably better player of pace and swing than Younis.

Flem274*

123/5
Give us a link to this other thread
you are welcome to defend 'straya ****' in the mark waugh vs shakib or whoever it was in that thread
I see Chanderpaul managed 41 tests from 2010-2015 with almost no support yet still averaged over 60.
yeah but he didn't shield the tail once so he sucks something something one innings means everything

also lets be honest most people put 30 seconds thought into this

OverratedSanity

Williamson was brilliant in Australia in 2015 and I don't recollect Younis ever batting that well on tracks with pace and bounce.

Figures may not yet reflect it but I think he's a comfortably better player of pace and swing than Younis.
Nah fair enough I agree with that. The tracks Younis did score runs on in England and SA were a bit subcontinental in nature too, great knocks though they were.