• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Target 400

masterblaster

International Captain
Dont worry Rolande mate,

Welcome to CW, the only place on the internet (and the world) where Ajit Agarkar is worshipped like a God.

Once again mate,

Welcome

:)

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
I think that Graeme Smith chance passed last summer when he had a lacklustre England attack bowling right at his strengths.

He is too fallible outside off stump for me to manage to make 400, and I thoroughly expect him not to reach the heights he scaled at Lord's and Edgbaston (don't trust my memory on those grounds) again.

I think it could well go again when Australia tour "Zimbabwe".
right and with bangladesh and zimbabwe showcasing such omnipotent bowling attacks it certainly looks like his chance has gone at 23 years old.
2 double centuries at 22 against any attack at home is not an easy feat and its not like hes been struggling for runs since then. when greame pollock started he too was largely an on side player but he worked on it and slowly he became a better off side player than an on side player. he has the concentration and mental toughness to get to 400..how long he would need to bat to do so is another thing.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
rolande said:
How the hell is Ajit Agarkar suppossed to score 400 not out then it would be definitely be fixed because he bats far too low in the order and his average is below 20
It's only a matter of time! Bowlers quake in their boots when he strides out to the crease. Remember regarding averages, people average zero before their first innings, so what do they really mean anyway?!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Rahul Dravid:
On whether he would contemplate going for Brian Lara's new world record
For me to get 400, you would have to play six days [laughs]!

PY

International Coach
Ricky Ponting and Graeme Smith would have to be the favourites for me if it ever happened. Purely because they are the captains of their respective sides and therefore have the say over whether a team will declare or not.

And neither of those two would carry on I don't think.

Craig

World Traveller
masterblaster said:
Welcome to CW, the only place on the internet (and the world) where Ajit Agarkar is worshipped like a God.
I wonder if SRT would like to hand AA of being Mumbai's favourite son and followed every where he went?

THE G-TRAIN

Cricket Spectator
None of the Aussies will get near 400 individually VS zimbabwe in this upcoming tour, hell the team wont even get there. They will declare at 0/200 and win by an innings and 80 runs. I think that Hayden, Smith and Ponting most certainly have the potential to reach the record.But there has been talk (for a while) that australia want to move Gilchrist up the order and bring in an all rounder for a top order batsman. If this happened, i think Gilly would be pretty devastating. Dont know if he would have the temperament to stick around to 400, but if he got anywhere near it (which he probably can) he could do it in a day and a half. What about Parthiv Patel. Surely he can do it. Hes a legend!

Craig

World Traveller
THE G-TRAIN said:
But there has been talk (for a while) that australia want to move Gilchrist up the order and bring in an all rounder for a top order batsman.
News to me.

The Symonds experiment didnt work out, and the next option is Shane Watson, but his only shot to get into the side is if there are about three or four injuries in the middle order.

Watson's time will come, but not at least for a couple of years.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Graeme Smith and Ricky Ponting probably have the best chance to do it, as they both have the ability to concentrate for long periods, score at a quick rate and are the captains of their respective teams. Hayden must also be a good bet.

Of the others, Gibbs could do it if he gets lucky, but more often than not he loses concentration and application after reaching 150. Sehwag too - he isn't restrained enough when he has to be.

Kallis bats too slowly for him to be a viable candidate.

VVS Laxman would be one to look out for too, but only when playing against the Aussies.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
It would go nicely with his public display of double standards when he said that he wouldn't have allowed Lara to continue batting just for the sake of breaking the record after delaying his declaration against Zim in order to allow Hayden the chance to break the record and possibly go past 400.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
What was? The captain against Zim or the one who made the statements?

You're right, Waugh was the captain then. My apologies.

Anyway, Ponting said that what Lara did would not have happened in Austrlian cricket, only then to add that the declaration against Zim was delayed in order to give Hayden the chance.

Last edited:

chicane

State Captain
DJ Bumfluff said:
Graeme Smith and Ricky Ponting probably have the best chance to do it, as they both have the ability to concentrate for long periods, score at a quick rate and are the captains of their respective teams. Hayden must also be a good bet.

Of the others, Gibbs could do it if he gets lucky, but more often than not he loses concentration and application after reaching 150. Sehwag too - he isn't restrained enough when he has to be.

Kallis bats too slowly for him to be a viable candidate.

VVS Laxman would be one to look out for too, but only when playing against the Aussies.
I'll add Inzamam to that list.

DJ Bumfluff said:
What is it with VVS and the Aussies?! :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden will get 500 in the next 3 months, either in Zimbabwe or in Drawin or Cairns against the Lankans (remember the Bangladesh tests at these grounds) :cool: . It will remain unbroken to eternity or until they return to 'timeless Test Matches' (or whatever they called them). Gilchrist may have a chance to do it in 3 sessions if the Zimbabwean rebels don't play.(get 500 ) :D .

Lara may stage his own attack on this score when he plays in Bangladesh, but unfortunately the ground is not Antigua but low scoring Dhaka or Chittagong!! He may have to get the WI cricket board to stage a 2 test series with Bangladesh in Antigua with an altered coin(so he can win the toss and bat first) :D .

Loony BoB

International Captain
It will definitely be interesting to see how Bangladesh fare in a match on a strong batting wicket in the Windies later this year.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
If Ponting were to get there that would be one of the biggest ironies ever.
if ponting did do it Australia would still very likley win the game (in Zimbabwe anyway) or at least still be playing to win

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
400 will not be broken for a long time. Even with Australia touring Zimbabwe, Australia would rather go for a win over players setting individual records & thats the way the game should be played :)