• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surgery For Batsman Gibbs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No... it would break his nose again.
But a broken nose can't heal in 2 and a half weeks.:( Believe me, I got one from a direct cricket-ball (no helmet), albeit at at least 10 mph slower than Drakes. From a guy called Liam Plunkett, who is now on the Durham staff, when he was 12.
And if it's already broken, it can't be broken again. So surely something worse would happen?:(
And surely if there was better protection than a helmet, it would be worn nose broken or not?

Langeveldt

Soutie
In defense of Rudolph richard, I dont think he has been given that many chances.. He is undoutebly a fine talent, has a presence at the crease, he is mature beyond his years and is going through a slump in form...

They should stick with him for now, its a gamble that could pay off very well, you dont want to discard anyone of his talent quickly...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
But a broken nose can't heal in 2 and a half weeks.:( Believe me, I got one from a direct cricket-ball (no helmet), albeit at at least 10 mph slower than Drakes. From a guy called Liam Plunkett, who is now on the Durham staff, when he was 12.
And if it's already broken, it can't be broken again. So surely something worse would happen?:(
And surely if there was better protection than a helmet, it would be worn nose broken or not?
Im sure Gibbs is a tough cookie, he will put that visor up a bit, make sure it doesnt happen again, and maybe field out in the deep a bit...

Id be far more worried about losing my confidence! the chances of breaking a nose again are miniscule :D

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
But a broken nose can't heal in 2 and a half weeks.
I repeat, the one the only was back into it after 10 days. Batting that is. Albeit in county cricket (!) but he was still there.:lol: :saint:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And he still couldn't get us promoted...:(
Nah, seriously, he did just about everything we could have asked of him in a short time and every Yorkshire fan worth his\her salt held nothing but gratitude.
Batting in county cricket, at Headingley at any rate, is far more trecharous(sp?) than batting against West Indies on a Kingsmeade consistency-personnified wicket!
Id be far more worried about losing my confidence! the chances of breaking a nose again are miniscule
Yes, true, but I'd not want to take that chance - as I say, he can't have something broken again that's already broken. Much more likely serious damage would be done.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
In defense of Rudolph richard, I dont think he has been given that many chances.. He is undoutebly a fine talent, has a presence at the crease, he is mature beyond his years and is going through a slump in form...

They should stick with him for now, its a gamble that could pay off very well, you dont want to discard anyone of his talent quickly...
But can you afford to leave-out someone of Van Jaarsveld's talent now? That's what I ask. Rudolph might be a fine talent, but as of the moment Van Jaarsveld and plenty of others have shown theirs better in the First-Class form of the game. If you exclude the Bangladesh games, Rudolph's Test record is abysmal (and long enough, methinks, to suggest more than just a form-slump, because no form was evident ITFP). His First-Class average is below 40, too. Not poor, by any stretch of the imagination, but not as good as some, Van Jaarsveld included.