• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 15 2011

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
When I backed the Warratahs I did not factor Beale playing like a clown at 1st 5. He is chip kicking it every time he gets it. Usually straight to a blues player.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
When I backed the Warratahs I did not factor Beale playing like a clown at 1st 5. He is chip kicking it every time he gets it. Usually straight to a blues player.
I think hes a much better 15 than 10, and that the Tahs will be better off when Barnes returns to play Barnes at 10 or 12 with Halangahu and drop Beale back to fullback. In saying that, his side bar one break which led to a try to Halangahu have rarely threatened so I suppose hes got to try something. Great first half from the Blues although as I hinted at, the Tahs have been rather timid. Excellent refereeing in letting the match flow from Mark Lawrence, and I fully agree with Tony Johnson in that its ridiculous that he hasn't been included in the 10-man RWC refereeing panel.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think hes a much better 15 than 10, and that the Tahs will be better off when Barnes returns to play Barnes at 10 or 12 with Halangahu and drop Beale back to fullback. In saying that, his side bar one break which led to a try to Halangahu have rarely threatened so I suppose hes got to try something. Great first half from the Blues although as I hinted at, the Tahs have been rather timid. Excellent refereeing in letting the match flow from Mark Lawrence, and I fully agree with Tony Johnson in that its ridiculous that he hasn't been included in the 10-man RWC refereeing panel.
Yes Beale looks a world beater at 15.

The Blues are looking like a skilled unit in this game. Mathewson has been great. And Brett just quietly does his job - if he could just get a few more line breaks here and there he could be a contender for the back up position as well.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
And I think that second half shows why the Blues will probably make the top six but have no real shot at winning the competition, in that turning up for one half might work at home against an out of sorts Waratahs side but doing that in Pretoria, Christchurch, Cape Town or Brisbane is unlikely to be so effective. Credit to the Waratahs for not completely giving in and keeping the Blues scoreless in the second half. One other comment I wanted to make, it was another great match for Toeava who, like Adam Thompson, has really made a case for himself for AB selection in competitive positions based on performances so far this season.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
@Somerset give me your assessment of Ranger.
I think hes got a brilliant skill set comparable to Robbie Fruean - pace, strength, dynamic style and x-factor that give defences nightmares. His error rate is probably the thing going most against him (albeit hes tended to be less error prone this season). In saying that, the only reason IMO why Ranger hasn't represented the ABs on more than a couple of occasions is because of the unbelievable depth in centres and outside backs we have. I think its reasonable to say that Ranger, Maitland and Guildford are unlikely to make the WC squad providing Sivivatu, Muliana, Jane, Dagg, Toeava and Gear are all selected as outside backs. Any other country would have Ranger down as a certainty in my view.

ripper868

International Coach
Reds :wub:

****ing awesome game to be at that was. Couple of soft tries let in by the reds and a couple of interesting decisions by the ref kept the bulls in it IMoneeyedO.

Can't wait for the Tahs next week!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Reds :wub:

****ing awesome game to be at that was. Couple of soft tries let in by the reds and a couple of interesting decisions by the ref kept the bulls in it IMoneeyedO.

Can't wait for the Tahs next week!
One of the best matches this season IMO. Great to watch the Reds backline when they click, some of their moves are brilliant - Cooper was excellent tonight and his style perfectly suited how the Reds wanted to play this evening. Surprised du Preez didn't start for the Bulls and go head-to-head with Will Genia, who I thought was also excellent.

ripper868

International Coach
Was amazing to watch live, you jsut see how defenders hold off cooper (like his try) or stack up on him giving space to others outside (morahan). The faith each player has as well to run it knowing support will come in awesome.

Ben Lucas superb when he came on, that tackle on kirchner in-goal showed exactly whi he is in the team.

Slipper didn't look good when he went down though, looked mighty serious, hope it's not - Will mean Holmes and Daley to start with Shepherdson on the bench...All (ex)Wallabies but thats about as deep as we run at prop.

Diggers post try...wow.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
I certainly hope this continues, Slipper's Injury is a big blow though, fantastic prop he is.

If the Reds can knock off the Tahs next week and someone does the stormers again i can't see why it wouldn't be Red/Crusader 1/2 2/1...May 29th will be a great match as well.

Have never had this 'buzz' about a team before but the rugby the Reds play make it impossible not to star looking forward to the next game straight away.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I thought the Reds Bulls game was of a higher standard than the Blues game. Just seemed a bit faster and with better play by the backs in particular.

I think the Reds will beat the Tah's comfortably.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of Digby's celebration. You can do that in a Super 15 game I guess. If you tried something like that in club rugby you would get killed by the opposition for show boating. We had a player for our team who held the ball above his head on a breakaway try - he did it with one hand in a showboating style. For the rest of the game their forwards crushed our backs and said 'thats for the try' after each punishing blow.

I also remember in days of yore that Stu Wilson pumped his fist after scoring a try on a tour of England - and his team mates punished him after the game by making him sing songs standing up on a chair in front of the pub etc.

Times have changed. And for the better - it was awesome when he (Digby) celebrated like that.

ripper868

International Coach
Trust me, Diggers will be punished in some fashion at the next team meeting...i.e in the change room last night.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just looking at the history of Super Rugby champions - if the Reds make the final it will their first time doing so. Good luck to you Ripper.

I also noted that the biggest blow out in a final was my team the chiefs losing 61-17 to the Bulls. blah.

ripper868

International Coach
Au contrere:
Super 6: Champions: 1992
Super 10:Champions: 1994
Super 10:Champions: 1995

Super 12:Minor prem: 1996 Lost in Semi
Super 12:Minor prem: 1999 Lost in Semi

But yep, loooong time between drinks.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week Nine Points:
TT Boy 6
Athlai 5
BoyBrumby 5
Samuel_Vimes 5
Somerset 5
HeathDavisSpeed 4
Hurricane 4
Quaggas 4
Ripper868 4
Social 4

Standings after Week Nine:
TT Boy 44
Somerset 43
Ripper868 42
BoyBrumby 41
HeathDavisSpeed 40
Samuel_Vimes 40
Social 39
Athlai 38
Hurricane 38
Quaggas 33

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week Ten Fixtures:
Blues vs Rebels
Crusaders vs Highlanders
Reds vs Waratahs
Force vs Bulls
Sharks vs Hurricanes
Lions vs Chiefs

Brumbies, Cheetahs and Stormers all have a bye.