• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

ataraxia

International Coach
A strong start to S32 by AXI. Thrashed the Dev match, got lucky with the ball in the T20, and had a fabulous SOD chase – winning just two down. The SOD opening partnership facilitated Winton to play a more aggressive innings than in the T20. Overall, he's the week's MVP – 53* (33) and 66* (50) in made chases, alongside very economical bowling.

Beat two better teams – not reflected in the WRs though, as we rise to #23! :w00t:

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Also whilst setting up CWC7 - the options brought about an idea - thinking of potentially setting up a DEV knockout tournament played on neutral grounds if there was enough interest 4 or 8.

Also if we have CWC tournaments with a straight 1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd than final style of knockout in future (for clarification not advocating for this format of knockout but rather if this format of knockout is in say CWC8 then the below idea becomes more viable) than I'd be up for setting the knockouts as a different friendly competition and using neutral grounds as there is an option of Stumped doing group/knockout draw automatically so presumably if I was to put 'No' I'd have the option of making the draw myself to fit our 1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd rules - of course that would be dependant on the majority with an opinion favouring this idea

ataraxia

International Coach
In the AX-AP double-header:

Ashgrove could not fire, even with the pitch negating our spinners. Despite an opening partnership of 101, they could only limp to 226/8. Rusty and Nick Smith made / are making light work of the chase – fifties apiece –, despite two early wickets and a later run out. Tadiwanashe was lbw first ball pushing. Tell him to slog it next time!

It's going down to the wire in the affiliate farewell game (* 9). Everyone got a bowl bar keeper Townshend – with Kotze and long-term captain Gordon Schofield both getting wickets with their first delivery for the club. Even Jonathan Young couldn't find rhythm on this pitch, for whatever reason (certainly not the sheer quality of the bowling!). O'Callaghan for one did fire, chipping in with a vintage 53 (39). Schofield just got out – his 3/9 (2) was crucial (lol), but with only a long tail left to get 40 runs with 3 wickets remaining, will his dismissal be match-winning for the Pirates?

ataraxia

International Coach
Good goodbye for those leaving AX-W players, the luckiest 40-run partnership in the end there. The tiniest wobble late in the piece for AXI – a run out after the match was won! – meant it was won by one less wicket than AX-W's, which hardly reflects the results.

No Cup exits yet so far in Round 1. Though Ashgrove tried their best – had a #11, career average of 3, slog his first two sixes in all cricket! :lol: But Hlengwa's 11* (4) and 6fa got them over the line, by 11 runs.

cnerd123

likes this
Idm a quick Dev KO tho neither FHK or ZCC will make it past Round 1 atm lol

Ed Halliday with a cool 178 off 80 balls in today's Cup Bot Bash. Much fun.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
Also whilst setting up CWC7 - the options brought about an idea - thinking of potentially setting up a DEV knockout tournament played on neutral grounds if there was enough interest 4 or 8.

Also if we have CWC tournaments with a straight 1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd than final style of knockout in future (for clarification not advocating for this format of knockout but rather if this format of knockout is in say CWC8 then the below idea becomes more viable) than I'd be up for setting the knockouts as a different friendly competition and using neutral grounds as there is an option of Stumped doing group/knockout draw automatically so presumably if I was to put 'No' I'd have the option of making the draw myself to fit our 1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd rules - of course that would be dependant on the majority with an opinion favouring this idea
JoJo you go from strength to strength - great input and ideas- if you do a quick DEV knock out with limited teams - then i would throw the Geese in , if there is a space but no worries if the numbers don't work, then happy to give someone else a crack first (oh and if you have 7 im ok to put Jura in as well - but they are very uncompetitive in the DEV cycle at the moment!)

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
Hi Guys

Can i ask you about fan numbers? Last season both Jura and Geese were going well in terms of fan sentiment and Jura continued to add members - hwoever towards the end of the season Geese did not move it remained stuck around 1,200 even though fan sentiment was similar to Jura

At the beginning of this season Geese even lost 10 members. (I can explain this maybe by a promotion and relegation last season and or a couple of losses at the beginning of the season- aqlthough fans are overwhemed?!) but what happened at the end of last seaon is puzzling

Does it mean that however well you are playing there is a cap on fan numbers based on your WR (or more likely) Division position ? This would explain why Jura could continue to add members as it has an overall higher Division position across 3 leagues than Geese (who had the same fan sentiment but could not seem to add any more fans)

I find this interesting and also useful for planning a seat upgrade or not

And another one!! What is controlling wear? Can i control wear? Does it just get worse the number of games you have played in quick succession? and friendlies have no impact I assume?

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
A strong start to S32 by AXI. Thrashed the Dev match, got lucky with the ball in the T20, and had a fabulous SOD chase – winning just two down. The SOD opening partnership facilitated Winton to play a more aggressive innings than in the T20. Overall, he's the week's MVP – 53* (33) and 66* (50) in made chases, alongside very economical bowling.

Beat two better teams – not reflected in the WRs though, as we rise to #23! :w00t:
Is that your highest ever Ata?

JOJOXI

Hi Guys

Can i ask you about fan numbers? Last season both Jura and Geese were going well in terms of fan sentiment and Jura continued to add members - hwoever towards the end of the season Geese did not move it remained stuck around 1,200 even though fan sentiment was similar to Jura

At the beginning of this season Geese even lost 10 members. (I can explain this maybe by a promotion and relegation last season and or a couple of losses at the beginning of the season- aqlthough fans are overwhemed?!) but what happened at the end of last seaon is puzzling

Does it mean that however well you are playing there is a cap on fan numbers based on your WR (or more likely) Division position ? This would explain why Jura could continue to add members as it has an overall higher Division position across 3 leagues than Geese (who had the same fan sentiment but could not seem to add any more fans)

I find this interesting and also useful for planning a seat upgrade or not

Thanks everyone
I can't say I have any idea about that although have done a recent seat upgrade and from 10k feeling like it was just about not to high I recently upgraded to 11938 for Charminster and we sell out our first game at expanded ground. Not that its going well. In a friendly vs @ataraxia's ataraX Wellington they are batting in a 40 over game and after 33.1 overs are 365-4 with opener Hastelow making 139 off 67 and O'Callaghan currently unbeaten on 73 from 31 balls.

New signing Michael Scott has got 3 of the 4 wickets but has also conceded 91 runs from his 7.1 overs! Liam Theron at 1-63 from 7 overs has been the most economical of the 5 bowlers.

JOJOXI

The Wild Geese on 1194 overwhelmed fans, Winton at 1158 ecstacic fans, Charminster at 1208 jubilant fans.

Winton haven't had a home game since expanding earlier in the week. Charminster with 10,156 fans out of 11938 in first game with expanded ground, in this friendly its sold out so seems like reasonably high variance

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
I can't say I have any idea about that although have done a recent seat upgrade and from 10k feeling like it was just about not to high I recently upgraded to 11938 for Charminster and we sell out our first game at expanded ground. Not that its going well. In a friendly vs @ataraxia's ataraX Wellington they are batting in a 40 over game and after 33.1 overs are 365-4 with opener Hastelow making 139 off 67 and O'Callaghan currently unbeaten on 73 from 31 balls.

New signing Michael Scott has got 3 of the 4 wickets but has also conceded 91 runs from his 7.1 overs! Liam Theron at 1-63 from 7 overs has been the most economical of the 5 bowlers.
Thanks JJ - i am kind of ok on stadium size and i benchamrk myself by taking a sample of other teams with around the same fan number and a good look at my actual crowds in the last 20 matches (remving the anomaly matches) but if there is a ceiling on fan growth that will eventually impact expansion (though not the actual choice of it)- while you were tapping I added a bit to my original message - so if you know anything about pitch wear - woul;d be great to hear!

JOJOXI

Thanks JJ - i am kind of ok on stadium size and i benchamrk myself by taking a sample of other teams with around the same fan number and a good look at my actual crowds in the last 20 matches (remving the anomaly matches) but if there is a ceiling on fan growth that will eventually impact expansion (though not the actual choice of it)- while you were tapping I added a bit to my original message - so if you know anything about pitch wear - woul;d be great to hear!
ie wear the help guide has the following

" Wear When your pitch is used for games, damage is done (by the bowlers follow throughs and batsmen as well as exposure). Your groundstaff act to repair your pitch. A worn pitch causes significant variations in bounce, which can be very difficult to bat on."

My guess would be that re wear - most of it is out of users control - you can't control if you have plenty of competitive home games in a row. But I'd presume - this is just guesswork though - that groundstaff's stats mostly their adjustment stats might help them reduce the wear on the pitch more quickly so if you want a high wear pitch maybe an awful groundsman is ideal? but then more likely to have a pitch further away than you want when it comes to moisture/speed.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong on this however

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
ie wear the help guide has the following

" Wear When your pitch is used for games, damage is done (by the bowlers follow throughs and batsmen as well as exposure). Your groundstaff act to repair your pitch. A worn pitch causes significant variations in bounce, which can be very difficult to bat on."

My guess would be that re wear - most of it is out of users control - you can't control if you have plenty of competitive home games in a row. But I'd presume - this is just guesswork though - that groundstaff's stats mostly their adjustment stats might help them reduce the wear on the pitch more quickly so if you want a high wear pitch maybe an awful groundsman is ideal? but then more likely to have a pitch further away than you want when it comes to moisture/speed.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong on this however
I wonder if having covers reduces wear ? it shouldn't of course as wear is numbers of overs (and if u wanted to be really accuracte lots of fast bowlers rather than spinners , though I doubt the Me is good enough to detect that) not the elements- but if the ME is not that clever it could be a factor -

Have never really noticed wear - as in how much it moves around and if it gets sig worse after a lot of home matches! The amount i don't know or understand it is incredible really that we ever win a match !

ataraxia

International Coach
Eek sorry @JOJOXI, I forgot Charminster were undergoing a rebuild. I think that (469/7) may be the highest score in all AX cricket. Some accomplishment when we set a MAS of 170! Hastelow pinch-hitter and Stokesian O'Callaghan orders helped with that. I'll play a much weaker side against Winton in a few days...