• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

ataraxia

International Coach
Both AX teams are yet to drop a game in the plate. Good stuff after disappointing performances in the group stage.

This inter-AX friendly was fun, with AXI bowlers playing as batters and vice versa. Still managed to get to 274 and an easy win with the pseudo-42K side. From AX-W, Dan Price's 5-43 was a strong performance.

cnerd123

likes this
Bram Human’s replacement in the youth setup, Nalin Mandhatri, has been disappointing so far.

He’s got a batting potential of 44; currently at 24.
His skill is ‘Opener’…I’ve opened with him in majority of games, and his returns have been woeful.

View attachment 30467
Any tips?
His current skills are pretty low (although quite good for 16!) so that's probably why he hasn't been great. He should do well as opener, but if conditions are hard to bat against the new ball then he'll probably fail often too. Would be effective opening on low moisture decks.

Could be a fringe player for BD in T20s, would need to get to atleast 40 batting though.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His current skills are pretty low (although quite good for 16!) so that's probably why he hasn't been great. He should do well as opener, but if conditions are hard to bat against the new ball then he'll probably fail often too. Would be effective opening on low moisture decks.

Could be a fringe player for BD in T20s, would need to get to atleast 40 batting though.
Thank! I’ll take all of this into consideration. I feel like dropping him down the order to bat after Sutherland at number 5, RVD moves up to open with Levy (who himself doesn’t have much longer in DEV cricket)…the CW3 winning squad is slowly crumbling apart!

cnerd123

likes this
Hui's in a pretty good patch for FHK. With 38 skill and 18 (!) touch, he's about the best an 18yo can be.
His form is great, hope it secures us the win in the SOD this Friday. He should be in line for a Nat callup in a couple of seasons as well, unless Zim's pace stocks are exceptionally strong :P

ZCC and FHK lost both Dev games yesterday :( Both frustrating losses too, neither side performed up to the standard expected. For ZCC it drops us from 2nd to 3rd, but for FHK it makes no difference in the final standings. We don't get that perfect season, but we still promote up to Div 2 :)

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
His form is great, hope it secures us the win in the SOD this Friday. He should be in line for a Nat callup in a couple of seasons as well, unless Zim's pace stocks are exceptionally strong :P

ZCC and FHK lost both Dev games yesterday :( Both frustrating losses too, neither side performed up to the standard expected. For ZCC it drops us from 2nd to 3rd, but for FHK it makes no difference in the final standings. We don't get that perfect season, but we still promote up to Div 2 :)
I thought your Bangladeshi report in Stumped was top notch - it was a wonderful balance of stats, facts and opinion. You may have finished 10th but the application to the job surely cannot be questioned - great enthusiasm ?

cnerd123

likes this
Good batting performance from AXI, but comfortable chase in the end for our boys. Flat pitch, Harry Hadden bowled well and the Top 4 clicked.

ZCC have tightened up their game in CW friendly matches since the loss to Schmaltzberg in CWC4 last month:

1642557779268.png

Only FHK have been able to topple them lately, while we went 1-1 with non-CW, world #63 Legend Killers.

ataraxia

International Coach
Yeah, Howell Brown bowling crappily was probably the difference. The former Zim Nat has been excellent for the club previously, but he was attacked then. Good game, very pleased with the batting performance.

ataraxia

International Coach
cnerd123 on Stumped! forum said:
BD Nat Cricket S29 Review

Format - T20Is
Final Ranking - 10th
:(

Season Record - Played 9, Won 3, Lost 6. 3 Bonus Points, NRR -1.27 (Points Table)

Top Performers
Batting:
1) Balakk Snigdha (9 innings, 379 runs, 4 50s, Ave 47.38, SR 144.11, HS 95*, WR #3)
2) Shan Javed (9 innings, 268 runs, 0 50s, Ave 29.78, SR 120.18, HS 49, WR #13)
3) Raun Shkorer (7 innings, 150 runs, 0 50s, Ave 21.43, SR 110.29, HS 45, unranked)

Bowling:
1) Mahmood Hafeez (4 matches, 7 wickets, SR 11.14, Econ 6.54, BB 3/32, unranked)
2) Khawaja Khattak (6 matches, 7 wickets, SR 18.86, Econ 7.95, BB 2/26, unranked)
3) Taufeeq Imran (8 matches, 7 wickets, SR 27.43, Econ 6.00, BB 3/21, unranked)

Tosses Won - 6 (!)
Batted 1st 4 times, Bowled 1st 5 times
Highest Expert Preview Ratings - 68,222 (in our final game)

Well a tough first season in charge comes to an end. Dead last, but with a couple of a memorable wins over England and Pakistan. A good win over semi-finalists Zimbabwe as well! We would do well to learn from them how to topple the stronger teams.

So I think fundamentally our main issue was failing to get runs on the board batting first. We averaged just 143 when we got to bat first, and lost all 4 games. However we won 3 out of 5 chasing! This does give a clearer idea on what we need to be doing at the toss moving forward, but also an area for improvement. Balakk and Shan both batted well all tournament, but no one else managed over 200 runs for us this season, which is a concern. Maybe Raun might have gotten there if he wasn't dropped for the final 2 games, he did alright given his poor form all tournament, but I need to find a way to get more out guys like Azmat, Sami and Mansoor. Something to work on.

Our bowling stats don't look great at first glance, with no one taking more than 7 wickets, but I think that's partly because of our horses-for-courses approach. Also lack of scoreboard pressure in the games where we batted first. We bowled first in 5 games and took 31 wickets in those matches, which isn't bad for T20s! But we took only 11 wickets in the 4 games where we were defending a score. The lack of runs on the board dampened the effectiveness of our attack. Our search for a 2nd spinner proved futile - Tauseef Baloch took 4/36 on debut in the win over England, but just 1/124 in the 10 overs he bowled after that. Lester Shum got 1/49 in his one game, where he struggled in helpful conditions, and unfortunately I couldn't find anyone else ready to step in and perform at this level. We've got some good spin bowling talent for the future, but we might keep struggling in spin-friendly conditions for a couple of seasons to come.

On the topic of captaincy - Mubashar Obaid lost the role for the final game. He too struggled for form his season, and while his skillset suggests he should be really good at T20Is, I may have overestimated the level to which those skills would translate at this level. We've also got two other LMs on the bench, so while I'd like for him to captain in the OD leg next season, it would either mean leaving Khattak/Riaz on the bench a lot, or sacrificing a bit of variety in our attack. Unfortunately we don't have any other captaincy options on par with Obaid atm - Taufeeq Imran is great but is ageing out, and the remainder of the squad aren't as good. However maybe some young buck will come in off the bench ready to take the reigns whenever International cricket resumes.

Speaking of Taufeeq Imran - what a legend he's been for us. 29 years old, 39 games for BD, kept a phenomenal economy rate for us this season and remains one of our best fielders. We may have seen the last of him at the international level, but it's been a good career.

And finally - a note on the future. My BD Nat team database now has 115 players in it, and I'm continuing to add to it whenever I can. Going off this, the future of BD cricket is, err, not very bright
Of the 115 players I've scouted, 5 of the 7 highest bowling potentials are already in the squad, and 3 of 6 the highest batting potentials are in the squad too! The other 3 highest batting potentials will all be in the squad within a season or two, but the cupboard is bare after that. There are no 50 potential BD players under the age of 19 in the game at the moment!

What this means is that we need more people recruiting BD cricketers! We had the lowest average expert previews of all the nations this season, and we're supposed to be in a golden era right now! The lack of talent coming through means we'll probably remain the weakest Nation in the game for many, many seasons to come.

But hey, we've got to play the cards we're dealt. In the coming weeks I'll keep scouting, and will be in touch with managers for updates on players that are on the fringes of selection. I missed out on selecting some quality players like Sami, Jamil and Mansoor when I first picked the squad this season, and do not want to make that mistake again. We need to be at full strength every game.

I also hope that with this database I may be able to identify players who can form the core of our squad in the coming years, and then get in touch with their managers to help ensure they're trained to their potential. A small nation like us has to compensate for the lack of raw talent by optimising the talent we do have, and I aim to put some plans in place to ensure we remain competitive. Finishing in last place sucks, let's try our best to do better next season
:thumbup:

As usual - if you've got any talented youngsters (at least potential 44) or would like to get involved with the BD Nat setup, be sure to drop me a message. Thanks!
Reminder for CWers to pull Bangladesh. Chances are, if you've got a very good player they'll get a Bangladesh cap.

Bloody big three.

Fingers crossed for my YP today...

cnerd123

likes this
ZCC end their return to Div 1 in dead last, going 2-12 in the T20. But we got 9 bonus points and our NRR was only -1.05, which shows we managed to compete for most of the games. We could have won a lot more if we bowled a bit better/held our nerves in runchases - losses by 19 runs, 7 runs, 18 runs, 3 runs, 12 runs and then by 2 runs today. Bit more luck this season and we could have had 6 more wins! Sigh.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
As even the most casual followers of Jura will know (particularly amongst their CWC competitors) they are good in the 40 over DEV format but rubbish when they need to play grown ups! ...... so our season ends - remaining stuck in Div 3 of SOD and T20 but as back to back title toppers in the DEV competition - so we will now play DIV 1 Dev against some very big names next season (gulp!)

We will probably come a cropper there although the squad has got another season of DEV under its belt before some of them begin hitting 22!

ataraxia

International Coach
Been excellent from Howell Brown against Morpork after a poor outing against ZCC. Only on the 18th ball of his spell does he concede a run. 1-1 (3) in the SOD thus far from him. Hoping to capitalise on early inroads.

cnerd123

likes this
Have sent out a bunch of challenges for the off-season to various CWC teams with ZCC and FHK. Please accept them when you can :) Good opportunity to test out various combinations as we head into the new league seasons!

Tempted to do 2 games a day, so might send out more challenges soon :p Wish we could play on Mondays and Wednesdays during the off season.

ataraxia

International Coach
At the 30-over mark Morpork are 118-3; the game is poised. Ernie Waters eventually went; the feeling being he couldn't sustain his defence for much longer. Marita is still in, and looks ready to blossom.

16 pops apiece for the AX teams. Solid stuff.

cnerd123

likes this
Nathan Law playing a blinder for FHK vs ZCC at the 5DNOL stadium. Grassy pitch, came in at 60/3 and was dropped first ball. He's now on 58* off 49, and if ZCC don't stop him soon they could be in for a very difficult runchase. 153/4 in 32 overs atm.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Have sent out a bunch of challenges for the off-season to various CWC teams with ZCC and FHK. Please accept them when you can :) Good opportunity to test out various combinations as we head into the new league seasons!

Tempted to do 2 games a day, so might send out more challenges soon :p Wish we could play on Mondays and Wednesdays during the off season.
Will be doing similar... need to play with my batting aggression!

ataraxia

International Coach
50s for both Marita and Kotze; they should be able to push on to 250 to 260.

Ivan Lam doing his best to win ZCC the game. 3 (30) lol.