• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strange, Funny, Bizzare !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
# 45 : More Bizarre Local rules

At Croxley Green, on the ground of Old Merchant Taylore, they showed much more flexibilty but only after some blood shed !!

There were several trees inside the playing area of this ground and on the base of one of them grew a very large and *****ly holly brush. :-O

In a match against visiting Richmond Town, OMT batted first and scored 216. Although the visitors ha\d some trouble anticipating the rebound off the trees, there wasnt any major problem in the home innings..

In their reply, the visitors were at 90 for 3 when the ball was hit in the general dirstion of the trees. The batsmen had completed two runs when they realised that the ball had disappeared in the heart of the hollybush !

The fielders were as confused as the batsmen and got into a debate as to who should enter the *****ly abode of the ball :-O

The batsmen, in the meanwhile, decided to make the best use of the fielders' dilemma and started a marathon run-gathering excercise.

When they had run six, the umpire nominated by the visitors called "Dead ball !!"

The home team umpire quickly over ruled him saying "Carry on running. The tree is in the field of play."

The batsmen resumed running and had reached nine and were about to embark on a tenth when a a scratched and bleeding hand emerged from the hollybush holding the ball !! But for the delay by the batsmen after completing two runs as the umpires intervened and debated, twelve rune would have been scored off a single hit !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bizzare # 46 : Non-co-operative stumps and bails

The laws regarding bails and stumps have been modified more aften than anything else in cricket, I think, the size, the number stumps, the bails, their size, their number, varnihing them or not, depth of grooves, removing them with the two captains agreement in case of windy conditions and so on. It would appear that the authorities have had all the bases covered. Not exactly....

Its amazing how after all these years, no fool proof method has been found to always have the stumps a precise distance away from each other. There is still the odd instance of a cricket ball being bowled and going through the stumps without disturbing anything !

One of the most amazing thing happened in a game in 1853. In a match between the All England XI and XXII of Ipswich at the latters home ground, W Caffyn of All England sent in a screaming throw from long on that would have had the batsman out by a mile had the ball not decided to go precisely between two stumps without disturbing either of them or the bails.

Not just that, it then proceeded at great pace to the other end and went through those stumps also without disturbing the bails !!:-O

Bizarre # 47 : Non cooperative bails.

In a match between NSW and Victoria the bails were not disturbed though the middle stump was knocked clean out of the ground ! The varnish had melted under the afternoon sun and the bails were stuck to each other as well as the off and leg side stumps !

Not having faced such a situation before the umpires declared the batsman not out !

Varnish is not allowed on bails any more.

Bizarre # 48 : Dancing Bails !!

There have been instances of bails being disturbed by a ball touching the stumps but settling back in the grooves and the batsman is to be declared not out under a ruling of the MCC in 1929.

However, an extraordinary thing happened in a county between Glamorgan and Northamptonshire in 1931.

The Northant batsman, AH Bakewell had the mortification of having a ball hit his stumps, then a reason to smile as the bail moved out of its groove but did not fall.

His smile did not last more than a nano second or two as the bail swilled on top of the stump and finally came to rest at right angles to its original position but still perched on top of a single stump !!

The batsman was declared out - rightly so since the ball had caused the bail to be disturbed and move out of its grove and stay out !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bizzare Bails # 49

In a strange coincidence the bails were found to behave as if with a mind of their own twice in the same match between Manchester and Old Trafford in 1883.

In the second instance a bail jumped and settled back in its groove. However, since we dont find that exciting anymore, later in the match, a ball knocked the off stump askew and the off bail jumped up and settled between the flayed off stump and the middle stump !!

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
SJS said:
Bizzare # 46 : Non-co-operative stumps and bails

The laws regarding bails and stumps have been modified more aften than anything else in cricket, I think, the size, the number stumps, the bails, their size, their number, varnihing them or not, depth of grooves, removing them with the two captains agreement in case of windy conditions and so on. It would appear that the authorities have had all the bases covered. Not exactly....

Its amazing how after all these years, no fool proof method has been found to always have the stumps a precise distance away from each other. There is still the odd instance of a cricket ball being bowled and going through the stumps without disturbing anything !

One of the most amazing thing happened in a game in 1853. In a match between the All England XI and XXII of Ipswich at the latters home ground, W Caffyn of All England sent in a screaming throw from long on that would have had the batsman out by a mile had the ball not decided to go precisely between two stumps without disturbing either of them or the bails.

Not just that, it then proceeded at great pace to the other end and went through those stumps also without disturbing the bails !!
:laughing:

Incredible.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bizzare Dancing Bail # 50

In a more recent match, a bail decided not to cause any heartburn to the bowlers or confusion to the umpire but still display its dancing skills.

In a match between Selsey and Radio Solent, Selsey's fast bowler knocked the off and leg stumps out of the ground but the middle stump was left standing erect. This has been seen by some of us before.

However, one of the bails chose to go up in the air, land back on the middle stump and start a furious spin on top of the lone standing stump.

Finally the bail slowed down and came to rest on the middle stump facing the bowler and the keeper end-to-end !!:dry:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
That 1853 sounds a bit far fetched to me - but wasn't there only 2 stumps and a big gap back then?
No the third stump has been there much longer than that.

'Lumpy' Stevens bowled John Small thrice right through the two stumps in 1775 and the third stump was added shortly there after.

FRAZ

International Captain
SJS said:
Bizzare Dancing Bail # 50

In a more recent match, a bail decided not to cause any heartburn to the bowlers or confusion to the umpire but still display its dancing skills.

In a match between Selsey and Radio Solent, Selsey's fast bowler knocked the off and leg stumps out of the ground but the middle stump was left standing erect. This has been seen by some of us before.

However, one of the bails chose to go up in the air, land back on the middle stump and start a furious spin on top of the lone standing stump.

Finally the bail slowed down and came to rest on the middle stump facing the bowler and the keeper end-to-end !!:dry:
I remember one i.e. Mushtaq Ahmed bowled to Pat sympcox and the ball went through the stumps without disturbing much the furniture ! (Faislabad in 1997-98), However, the heat had fused together the bails, and they did not fall. The middle stump bounced back into place and Symcox continued on his way to 81 - his second highest test score!
!! I think this might have happened many times in the history especially when they used only two stumps (19th century)

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
I dunno for sure if it has been discussed here before but any ways there is another possibility i.e. "timed out"
Hemulal Yadav . He is the only cricketer to have been given out 'Timed Out' in first-class cricket.
LOL cheap
btw http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/...ays_of_getting_out/newsid_3794000/3794103.stm
On the 1974 tour to England, Indian opener, Sudhir Naik was accused of stealing a pair of socks from Marks & Spencers.
There was a first class cricketer who was on board the titanic and he survived !!

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Playing in a cricket match I was standing at the non-striker's end. The batsman at the other end was batting on 49 and was quite anxious to get to his 50. The bowler bowled a fast full toss ball and in his excitement the batsman hit him for a straight drive. I saw the ball coming at me like a runaway train. Realizing I couldn't get out of the way of the ball, I put my bat infront of the ball. The ball hit my bat and popped up for an easy catch to the bowler. To this day he hasn't forgiven me for getting him out at 49.

(Dickie Bird )