• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Smith's recent form

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just wondering if anyone has a consensus on smith's recent drop off in form in Sheffield shield and test match cricket. After returning home from the ashes, Smith played 232 runs at an average of 46.4 with a sr of 39.4. Then against new zealend, where he was once again given the chance to perform, coming in at 2-80 during most of his innings, he averaged 42.80 at a strike rate of 34.13.

Now, I know calling someone out of form when there averaging 43-46 consistently may seem odd, and smith has obviously seemed better then ever since then, averaging 115 vs India in the 3 game ODI series, but his consistently low strike rate has me really worried, if it was just against new Zealand I would have been happy to put it down to Wagner's bouncer's giving him issues, but we have seen the same thing occur during his brief shield stint. He's looked better then ever in both shorter format's of the game, just wanted to collect a bit of a consensus on his lower then usual strike rate and slight dip in form.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He comes across as a guy who might get uptight about his numbers. It can be both a boon and a bane. I mean, it worked for Kallis but I won't worry too much. He is still as good as he was before the ban. Dips in form can happen and funnily for this guy, it happens on his SR than his average, while for other batsmen it hits the average too. That in itself, tells you he is pretty awesome. :)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I wouldn't worry... yet.

Three consecutive important first innings contributions in the 3 NZ tests is fine. He was outshone by Labuschagne, and he scored his runs too slowly, but it's not like he had a run like Warner did in the ashes

He can't average 75 every series I guess

I'm not worried yet.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He looked terrible against NZ, and still managed some good half centuries. But then seemed to be in much better form with the white ball. If I had to guess I'd say it may have been the lack of time in the middle against Pakistan (as a result of coming in at 2-300ish consistently) that screwed him over a bit.

Burgey

He comes across as a guy who might get uptight about his numbers. It can be both a boon and a bane. I mean, it worked for Kallis but I won't worry too much. He is still as good as he was before the ban. Dips in form can happen and funnily for this guy, it happens on his SR than his average, while for other batsmen it hits the average too. That in itself, tells you he is pretty awesome. :)
I'm not sure why you reckon this when he threw away 3 or 4 digs in the Ashes chasing quick runs when he could easily have settled for a not out when batting with the tail.

TheJediBrah

Yeah if I had to pick one guy who wouldn't get uptight about his numbers it would be Smith. He seems to throw his wicket away at a remarkable rate when the job is already done instead of batting on for his average.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure why you reckon this when he threw away 3 or 4 digs in the Ashes chasing quick runs when he could easily have settled for a not out when batting with the tail.
While he is quite selfless for the team, he is uptight on numbers as well. In a couple of interviews, he had mentioned how his average is lower than what it should be because of his initial years and similar things related to numbers.

Burgey

It's a bit rude of him not to be happy with where his average is. How much is enough ffs?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

It is possible for him to care about his numbers and still care more about his team winning, you know. The Ashes were situations where he had to play in that way for results. In the home season, he did not have to, so he took his time and ensured his numbers were still good. That is how I read it, at least.

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Kind of. He didn't take his time in the 1st test against Pakistan even though going a bit slow at that point would not have been detrimental to Aus.

Smith seemed to have reached one those points where he no longer seemed 'relaxed'* at the crease and was perhaps over-thinking a little. I remember in the OD series following the 16/17 Ashes† he looked extra fidgety and almost hyperactive: he lost all his fluency and played very poorly. It was no so dramatic this time, but I think his actions seemed more deliberate and less practised than ordinarily. Hopefully it's a phase that'll pass.

* Relatively speaking

† Boy, how long ago does that feel!

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

It is possible for him to care about his numbers and still care about his team winning more, you know. The Ashes were situations where he had to play in that way for results. In the home season, he did not have to, so he took his time and ensured his numbers were still good. That is how I read it, at least.
wut? how any of his batting this home summer could be interpreted as "ensuring his numbers were good" is well beyond me

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its called the whole "not getting out" thing when batting. He seemed pretty intent on putting a score on the board, no matter how long it took. Not surprised that was beyond you, though. :)

TheJediBrah

Its called the whole "not getting out" thing when batting. He seemed pretty intent on putting a score on the board, no matter how long it took. Not surprised that was beyond you, though. :)
Funny how he didn't want to get out when coming in at 2-60 and the game in the balance. Must be because he was "ensuring his numbers were still good" rather than for the team hey?

very, very bizarre interpretation from you there

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I meant overall. He batted slow even when his team was ahead. If you are gonna pick and choose instances over 5 tests, sure. Overall, I got the feeling that he was not as frenetic as he was at times in the Ashes coz his team was already in commanding positions and he could afford to bat at the slow SR. Context is everything, you know.

TheJediBrah

I meant overall. He batted slow even when his team was ahead. If you are gonna pick and choose instances over 5 tests, sure. Overall, I got the feeling that he was not as frenetic as he was at times in the Ashes coz his team was already in commanding positions and he could afford to bat at the slow SR. Context is everything, you know.
Then I wouldn't trust your feelings too much in future because in this instance they were disturbingly far off the mark.

You'd be right if you were talking about the Pakistan series when he was coming in at 2-300+ and didn't seem to give a **** but not for the NZ games. And at no point during the summer was he "ensuring his numbers were still good' by any interpretation

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's funny, say that 85 in the second test was a 105 and his other two decent innings in the first and third tests were sub 20 scores would we still be having this chat

We're so used to him getting to three figures with ease but that might be slipping

Since his twin tons in the opening ashes test he's reached 80 five times and only converted one into a ton, though it was a double

Is his mental strength slightly diminishing? I know there are good reasons for these unconverted 80+ scores like concussion, chasing quick runs, but it's still interesting

Burgey

It's funny, say that 85 in the second test was a 105 and his other two decent innings in the first and third tests were sub 20 scores would we still be having this chat

We're so used to him getting to three figures with ease but that might be slipping

Since his twin tons in the opening ashes test he's reached 80 five times and only converted one into a ton, though it was a double

Is his mental strength slightly diminishing? I know there are good reasons for these unconverted 80+ scores like concussion, chasing quick runs, but it's still interesting
I’ll have a lazy fifty with you that he averages 150+ against India here next summer and scores 650 plus runs in the four tests.