• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard

Craig

World Traveller
When three of the biggest clubs in the world express an interest, that is a great compliment to your form.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Real Madrid and Juventus, who's the third?

And can I point out he is already at a huge club...

Craig

World Traveller
Inter Milan as well.

Given what Juve and Real MAdrid have done in Europe, they can I guess be a credited with that title.

Manchester United it seems were/are interested in him.

Craig

World Traveller
What do you have against Inter for?

Still bitter over them buying Robbie Keane off Coventry a few years ago? If you are, get over it.

They are still apart of the G-14.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, they're just not a big club yet you seem to think they are.

Why would I be bitter about them paying £14m for someone we bought for £6m?

Craig

World Traveller
And how many players of Spurs and Everton would make a World XI or you can say are world class?

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
And how many players of Spurs and Everton would make a World XI or you can say are world class?
Not the point.
Inter as a team are a bunch of under-achievers with permanent delusions of grandeur, always have been, always will be - just like Spurs or Everton.

Spurs have had some of the all-time greats, but it didn't stop them from being donkeys as a team.

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Inter = Italian equivalent of Spurs or Everton :)
Wouldn't go that far. Semi-finalist 2 years ago in the champions league, not as if spurs or everton make that often. Make that never. More like newcastle this season.

twctopcat

International Regular
As for the Gerrard/Lampard problem i don't think that Sven will play the diamond if it's a problem. You can't leave out quality players because you want to play a formation. The main midfield 4 have to play and if needs be, let's play total football (at least in the midfield).

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Wayne Rooney and Robbie Keane.
Yeah right.

Rooney is not world class yet, potentially yes, but I feel he will have leave Everton and to one of the top clubs and preform in the Champions League to be considered that. Besides he has been inconsistent for Everton on occasions.

If Inter are so bad, then why the hell do the like of Francesco Toldo, Javier Zanetti, Dejan Stankovic, Christian Vieri, Adriano, and with Juan Seba Veron joining Inter (Italy is where he is suited in), and until recently why the hell did the likes of Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos play for Inter if they are the Italian version of Spurs and Everton?

And I would like to know how Chelsea are a big club, when it has been practically 50 years since they last won a league title, and are yet to win anything in Europe (ie the Chhampions League or European Cup).

Heck Aston Vill has more CL/EC titles then Arsenal and Chelsea put together.

Craig

World Traveller
twctopcat said:
As for the Gerrard/Lampard problem i don't think that Sven will play the diamond if it's a problem. You can't leave out quality players because you want to play a formation. The main midfield 4 have to play and if needs be, let's play total football (at least in the midfield).
And do a Holland '74 and Holland '78 and not win the World Cup or in this European Championchips.

twctopcat

International Regular
Craig said:
And do a Holland '74 and Holland '78 and not win the World Cup or in this European Championchips.
Bad luck '74 (and an inspired Muller) and then some nice old bribery in '78 saw to that. The dutch weren't exactly the worst team in the world.

Craig

World Traveller
On a football program they have on TV here in Australia called 'The World Game' , and they had 'The Hypothetical World Cup' which included teams like: France '98, Holland '74, Italy '82, Brazil '70, Holland '98, Holland '78, England '90, Brazil '94, West Germany '74, West Germany '90 amongst others.

In the final they had Brazil '70, and Holland '74, it made a very interesting final with Holland '74 winning, so they were thus 'The Hypothetical World Cup Winners'.

Brazil '70 had the likes of Pele etc. but had a very poor defence, and a rubbish 'keeper called Felix (well he made some basic goalkeeping errors), this was from the footage I have seen.

So you could imagine somebody like Diego Maradona carving through their defence.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Brazil '70 had the likes of Pele etc. but had a very poor defence, and a rubbish 'keeper called Felix (well he made some basic goalkeeping errors), this was from the footage I have seen.

So you could imagine somebody like Diego Maradona carving through their defence.
Brazil 70 were, IMO, the greatest-ever football team whose philosophy was simply 'if you score, we will score more'. It stemmed from the basic Brazilian philosophy that the worst player ended up in goal. They do reckon that Pele was a pretty good goalie when he was 14 or so, so I guess if it had been any other way we might have missed out on a genius.

The Cruyff-inspired Dutch side was quite awesome, far better at the back, but whether they were superior, I don't know.

Both sides demonstrated an amazing fluidity with all outfield players expected to contribute.

I can actually imagine Diego Maradona carving through any defence, anywhere, any time.

Craig

World Traveller
It is a shame Maradona got addicted to drugs and later got banned for testing positive in USA '94 and then there is the infamous 'Hand of god'.

I sometimes wish I had a time machine, so I could back to the 70's and 80's and see some of the world's greatest ever footballer's and cricketer's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
About 18 NZ players & a coach are available at the moment considering they most likely will not play international soccer for another 2 or 3 years.
Im sure a club would love to sign a player who was involved in a 4-2 loss to Tahiti.