• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve WaugH

Craig

World Traveller
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Steve Waugh should never have been dropped from the ODI side. It wasn't a matter of form, he was dropped caused he was too old. Age shouldn't be of concern, if you are performing, you deserve to be in the side.

I would like to think what would of happened to Steve Waugh if his side made the 2001/02 VB Series final?
I think now in 2003 he would still be in both Australian Teams & he would of passed 350 ODI's.

Though I have to while I'm here congratulate Ricky Ponting for the way he has captained the Australian ODI Team. Ponting has done a great job and he would almost certainly take over Steve Waugh as Test Captain when Waugh decides to retire.
Thing is Steve Waugh wont be around for 2007, and Australia must look at each of their squad and look at those who will/wont be around for 2007 should be axed or they retire whether it is unjustified or not within the next 18 months.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why are you even considering that now?? Ponting is what? 28? 29? He has a good few years left.
Yeah exactly! He's about a month away from 29. Geez, patience. :D

I would go as far to say that the next captain isn't even in the side yet.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Of course he'll be around for ages.. but Im sure selectors are looking at younger guys in domestic cricket with a leadership quality in mind.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Linda said:
Of course he'll be around for ages.. but Im sure selectors are looking at younger guys in domestic cricket with a leadership quality in mind.
Cameron White??
What do you people think of him by the way , looks very good for a guy his age.
There are a few other possible future captains out there , Katich , Hussey , Brendon Nash & Micheal Clarke have all been praised in the past for their leadership credentials.

Linda

Yeah, thats pretty amazing... 20 and Vic captain! I just hope he goes well (unless against Warriors:lol: ), and doesnt crumble like somebody else did when they captained at a young age... (sob:( )

iamdavid

International Debutant
Linda said:
Yeah, thats pretty amazing... 20 and Vic captain! I just hope he goes well (unless against Warriors:lol: ), and doesnt crumble like somebody else did when they captained at a young age... (sob:( )
Dont take this the wrong way but I think Cam is a much more mature player than 'somebody else' was at the same age.:lol:

He shouldnt have been made captain anyway , there were much better people in the team like Tom Moody & Velleta , who knows , its not to late for a second chance.

Linda

iamdavid said:
Dont take this the wrong way but I think Cam is a much more mature player than 'somebody else' was at the same age.:lol:
I wont take it the wrong way... I agree. He was a little sh*t, who didnt know what to do with his talent. But oh so pretty to watch!

But yes.. hoping for him later on:D

Oh for Christ's sake you people can read into anything and come up with whatever you want. Obviously I'm dyslexic because I read what I wrote and it only says 'any hunches for captain post-Ponting?'. No matter what I do I just can't find the bit at the start that says 'Ponting is a geriatric who is on the first boat out of the Australian team'. A hunch would mean you'd have almost no idea, maybe even because it's a long way away (shock! horror!). Don't try to assume where I'm coming from. If you're going to answer the question then answer the damn question and don't put words in my mouth.

On that note, I will have to say Michael Clarke would be a good option WHEN* Ponting throws it in. Clarke captained the Australian Under 19s to victory in the U19 World Cup.

Cameron White I suppose would be another good option. To be honest I haven't rated him an awful lot but recently, and interestingly, after he was given the captaincy, his performances seem much more solid. Which is great at the tender age of 20. He handled the Pura Cup side absolutely brilliantly and performed in all facets of the game, with the added pressure of captaincy.

I don't think Katich at all. He's just not going to be captain. Hussey either, much as it pains me to say so. Neither one will be young enough, and good as Hussey is, he's finding it too hard to break the Australian XI at the moment.

I suppose there's always the chance of Shane Watson. Another brilliant player at under age level and I think he's got a lot to learn but maybe he will become one of the world's top allrounders, and maybe again, not a bad captain at all.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I talk to Broncoman on MSN

Simon - DC, only 1 more year at McLaren says:
lol
as if
<---(-_-)---- says:
I guess I was kinda gullable then
yes

And anyway , why would Steve Waugh want a patch for Cricket 2002.

C2002 post

iamdavid

International Debutant
The Cricinfo forums are really going downhill.

Without us 3 the ECF hasnt been updated for 9 days:O :!(

Thats a record.

Maybe we should invite Mr Gilham over here , I am sure his Somerset patriotism & extreme anti-Richard attitude would liven things up.

Wasnt Chris going to migrate over here aswell?

Cloete

International Captain
Craig said:
Since when did I ever say that!
actually i remember that Stephen Waugh bloke. he was actually pretty cool....i can understand people thinking he's a nut though lol

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I can't believe you believe that that's Steve Waugh! I suppose Gregory Blewett (now Blewy) is THE Greg Blewett too.:rolleyes: Classic!
Next you'll be saying that Devil Ducky is a real duck.

<quack> Well, what am I? A pomegranate?

No. You are a figment...

<quack> Ssssh. It's a bit like Santa Claus

What - your existence?

<quack> No, you.

Me?

<quack> Fat, old and grey.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
iamdavid said:
Maybe we should invite Mr Gilham over here , I am sure his Somerset patriotism & extreme anti-Richard attitude would liven things up.
He would fit in well here on both counts!