• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka's Squad for the World Cup (Which They Will Win)

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dark Horses...loading

Sri Lanka ODI World Cup squad: Dasun Shanaka (capt), Kusal Mendis (vice capt), Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera (wk), Dimuth Karunaratne, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Sadeera Samarawickrama (wk), Dushan Hemantha, Maheesh Theekshana, Dunith Wellalage, Kasun Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka, Matheesha Pathirana, Lahiru Kumara
Travelling reserve: Chamika Karunaratne

Owzat

U19 Captain
do you mean Sri Lanka will win their squad selection....? 8-)

may not be dark horses so much, rather clever timing of the Asia Cup, England and kiwis playing a bilateral in England, Ireland coming to England too, they play out in Sri Lanka (and Pakistan), although I trust you aren't basing their dark donkey rating on a final in their own country and a ropey worthless duck method win over Pakistan where they shockingly were given the same total to win as Pakistan scored off the same number of overs - wouldn't be shocking if they started the match with 42 overs aside but rain came during Pakistan's innings which caused the reduction and if they were batting at the time impacted their total

I would have expected the target to be at least 5-10 runs bigger if not 20+

Silver Silva

International Debutant
It's a middle of the rung team , I will be happy if we can challenge for a top 4 place and finish between 5th-7th ,bowling unit is very young and inexperienced whilst the batting unit lacks the star power of previous Sri Lankan outfits , filled with guys who have flattered to deceive, solid batters with the odd moment of brilliance ie. Kusal Mendis , Kusal Perera, Dhananjaya De Silva ..
If our batters can post decent totals and the conditions favour spin, we can cause a couple of upsets hopefully.

SillyCowCorner1

It's a middle of the rung team , I will be happy if we can challenge for a top 4 place and finish between 5th-7th ,bowling unit is very young and inexperienced whilst the batting unit lacks the star power of previous Sri Lankan outfits , filled with guys who have flattered to deceive, solid batters with the odd moment of brilliance ie. Kusal Mendis , Kusal Perera, Dhananjaya De Silva ..
If our batters can post decent totals and the conditions favour spin, we can cause a couple of upsets hopefully.
They will be pushed hard against teams lower than them. That's for sure.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Lanka squad: Dasun Shanaka (C), Kusal Mendis (VC), Kusal Perera, Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dushan Hemantha, Maheesh Theekshana, Dunith Wellalage, Kasun Rajitha, Matheesha Pathirana, Lahiru Kumara, Dilshan Madushanka
Reserve: Chamika Karunaratne

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Though I don't expect much from this unit in terms of overall success..
There are some seriously talented cricketers that may be potential superstars one day like Dunith Wellalage , Charitha Asalanka is one of the best no.5's ..Pathirana and Madushanka have a very high ceiling in the fast bowling ranks ..Nissanka can still become very good .. I am expecting one or two big results like how we beat England in the 19 WC

Last edited:

Silver Silva

International Debutant
And then there is Kusal Mendis ...

Such a frustrating a player because he is capable of destroying even the best bowlers but so inconsistent..

This 89 vs India when we defeated them in the Champions Trophy 2017 was his best in tournament cricket so far ..

SillyCowCorner1

They are in real trouble with their bowling.

Gave away close to 430 in their first match...and now it is looking like they can't defend 349

loterry1994

International Debutant
They are currently in 10th place...and their NRR is not pretty.
Netherlands could upset them they’ve faced two of the tougher teams and were competitive at times. The Bangladesh and Afghanistan games will be close to even odds I think. Don’t forget Sri Lanka needed to go through World Cup qualifiers to get in as well

SillyCowCorner1

Sri Lanka has roped in Angelo Mathews and Chameera as traveling reserves…injury backup.

Expect to see both of them in the match tomorrow?

Himannv

International Coach
If Chameera is fit he’ll probably play ahead of braindead players like Lahiru Kumara or Pathirana. I feel they should have had Binura as well in the squad. They probably didn’t expect the bowling to be as bad as this. Idiots.