• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Bangladesh: 2022

Aritro

International Regular
Oh my God that dropped chance at mid on was so dire. You'll never get an easier chance. They'll make 400 now.

Have to say Mathews has been just about flawless other than a chance at first slip yesterday. He could bat for days in this sort of touch.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I checked some time ago when he was on 184 and I was going to open up Cricinfo thinking 'wouldn't it be funny if he got out on 199?'

Some times you just have a sense of things before they happen.

Aritro

International Regular
Honours probably even today. Sri Lanka did well to get the total to 397 overall, and 6/120 from the last six wickets is an ok outcome, although they might think they should have scored more. I'll gladly take 0/70 in response.

Still worried about what this pitch is about to turn into. We might fall a hundred short if it deteriorates properly.

Aritro

International Regular
Wow, Embuldeniya with a dreadful drop at fine leg off a Joy hook shot. Fernando banging it in short from around the wicket with a fielder at leg slip and bat pad, Embuldeniya at fine leg precisely for the miscued hook. That'll kill a bowler's spirit.

I think they'll have some luck if they persist with that plan mind you. Asitha is bowling some serious heat for this pitch and Joy didn't look comfortable at all.

Aritro

International Regular
Rajitha comes on as concussion sub and skittles two dudes in four overs.

I take it on good faith that they didn't just have a team meeting overnight and decide Vishwa was crap. 8-)

cnerd123

likes this
Hey it's been stickied!

So Vishwa Fernando retired hurt batting, came on and bowled, but then subbed out for a concussion sub

That's a first? Usually a concussion sub gets called upon ASAP, but they cleared him fit enough to bowl 8 overs. Delayed onset of symptoms? Did the medical team mess up by letting him play on? Can he still get subbed at this point?

Not salty at all by the fact that the concussion sub has just taken 2 big wickets...

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey it's been stickied!

So Vishwa Fernando retired hurt batting, came on and bowled, but then subbed out for a concussion sub

That's a first? Usually a concussion sub gets called upon ASAP, but they cleared him fit enough to bowl 8 overs. Delayed onset of symptoms? Did the medical team mess up by letting him play on? Can he still get subbed at this point?

Not salty at all by the fact that the concussion sub has just taken 2 big wickets...
Sounds like Jadeja and his concussed hamstring to me

Aritro

International Regular
Hey it's been stickied!

Yeah, commentator was speculating it was delayed onset of symptoms. He batted beautifully to last over 100 balls but the way his replacement is bowling, we're in trouble.

Aritro

International Regular
And numbers 3 and 4 fail to build on it. Obviously too unfamiliar a situation for them...
To be fair though, if I owned a house I would have put it on both openers falling within the first half an hour so overall it's exceeded expectations.

On another note, now that the Lankans have exposed Joy's discomfort with around the wicket short stuff, every other team in the world is going to try it. They need to sort that pretty quick, and ideally before day 5 tbh

Aritro

International Regular
Do you lose the not out if you retire hurt? They're showing a graphic that has Tamim's average at 40.17, but it should be around 40.5 with the not out.

I'm filthy about it if you do. The only good thing about him retiring hurt is the potential boost to his average.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I get that not batting him in the top order allows him to take on more of a bowling workload, but Shakib batting literally 7 seems utterly stupid.

a massive zebra

International Captain
You never used to lose the not out when you retire hurt. No idea these days as the ICC bring in copious amounts of ridiculous rule changes so they might have changed it.

cnerd123

likes this
I get that not batting him in the top order allows him to take on more of a bowling workload, but Shakib batting literally 7 seems utterly stupid.
actually works against the intention in a way - if he comes in at 7, bats till BD get bowled out, then comes out onto the field he's probably got a lot more workload than if he batted at around 5. Then he's more likely to be out and having a break before BD get skittled and he has to take the field again.

Retired Hurt should defo still be a not-out, think broadcasters have it wrong.

Aritro

International Regular
I don't mind him coming in at 7 to thrash some tired bowlers around, Gilchrist style. It'll be fun.

I think it's been complicated by Litton suddenly averaging 50 from number 6 having been a gumby batting up the order. Plus giving him time to rest after keeping is a priority. Mushfiq does his best work by a mile at number 5 as well (averaging 43 since he gave up the gloves) having had a poor record at 4 (27 since he gave up the gloves).

Doesn't really leave room for him to bat anywhere else, and he's not suited to the top order.

^Shakib obviously didn't help himself by missing about 90% of our test matches in the last few years, thereby allowing himself to be usurped. ****.