• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African No to Sharjah

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
http://www.cricketweb.net/articles/EpulVFyuZpDpxXGKAD.shtml

The future of the Sharjah Cup, scheduled to be held between April 1 and April 10 in the United Arab Emirates, has been thrown into doubt after South Africa withdrew today, citing safety fears due to the ongoing war in Iraq.

Gerald Majola, Chief Executive Officer of the United Cricket Board of South Africa, said, "We value our players and officials and we cannot continue with the tour when there is concern about their safety. We received an advisory from the Department of Foreign Affairs informing us not to travel to the Gulf region under the current circumstances prevailing there. We are however, engaged in discussions with the tournament organizers as to possible alternative venues and or dates for the tournament to be held."

This seems just a touch hypocritical based on the South African World Cup Authorities' refusal to take into account the safety fears of England and New Zealand over the controversially-forfeited Group Matches.

It is now unsure whether the Tournament will be rescheduled or continue with a replacement for South Africa joining Sri Lanka and Pakistan, who have both named experimental line-ups including many players with little or no ODI experience. Bangladesh and India are committed to a tri-series later in April (also with South Africa) so will be unlikely to play twice in a month so soon after the World Cup. New Zealand are enjoying an end-of-season break before a tour of Sri Lanka, Australia and the West Indies are shortly due to play Tests and ODIs in the Caribbean, and England are preparing for the English summer season after an exhausting winter.

That just leaves Zimbabwe - who are in no fit state to tour anywhere at the present moment - or Kenya...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
I guess India is a no-no to that tournament too. Would love to see India Pak and SL battle it out...:P

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not hard to empathize with the South Africans for pulling out. It's just not safe nowadays.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sounds like too much cricket to me, I bet experimental lineups have been named because all the senior players are knackered. Right after the world cup, dont people think there is too much cricket going on?

I like to have fewer series and actually look foreward to watching some cricket rather than being fed a constant supply of it and not being able to take it all in. Dont know about you guys :rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
As an England fan I find South Africa's boycott because of safety fears mildly amusing with a tint of irony...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The South African Board is just being childish. It's like

"I don't wanna play with you either :P ....
Why?......ummmm...because.....because I just don't :P ."

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well Australia did refuse to tour Pakistan when a neighbouring country was at war. Kind of a similar situation?

Im not trying to stick up for the SA board, they never seem to know what they are doing... But why another Sharjah tournament so soon after the world cup..What are they trying to prove, except get a bit more cash..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
It is now unsure whether the Tournament will be rescheduled or continue with a replacement for South Africa joining Sri Lanka and Pakistan, who have both named experimental line-ups including many players with little or no ODI experience. Bangladesh and India are committed to a tri-series later in April (also with South Africa) so will be unlikely to play twice in a month so soon after the World Cup. New Zealand are enjoying an end-of-season break before a tour of Sri Lanka, Australia and the West Indies are shortly due to play Tests and ODIs in the Caribbean, and England are preparing for the English summer season after an exhausting winter.

That just leaves Zimbabwe - who are in no fit state to tour anywhere at the present moment - or Kenya...
And Zimbabwe and Kenya get invited :)

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Well I live in Muscat in Oman 'bout 350 kilometres away and can pretty much say UAE will more likely than not be very safe, this is because even the very best of Iraqi weapons/missles are way way out of range.

Lloyd

Caistor Town Cricket Club Moderator
But not out of reach of American bombs. Thats your worry.. 350 kilometres, thats nothing.. :D :D :D