• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic 2022/23

Stefan9

International Debutant
Freestate has become the first team relegated. KZN Inland the first promoted side.
Dolphins won the div 1 4 day title and Northern cape the div 2 title.

Freestate has already lost Gerald coetzee to titans. Expect the likes of van tonder, migael pretorius,ect to follow. Players with international ambition won't want to play in div 2.

SeamUp

International Coach
Some really surprising domestic transfers in the pipeline after we say goodbye to Free State from top division cricket in SA.

How WP have allowed Hamza and Moreki to be leaving for the Lions is a surprise. Especially as BA's have always been a problem for WP cricket and now you have de Zorzi in the SA pipeline.

Keegan Petersen (CSA Contracted) but going home to Boland.
Wihan Lubbe leaving Warriors to go back home to NW Dragons
Sean Whitehead leaving SWD Div 2 cricket for EP Warriors

Free State being raided.
Gerald Coetzee to Titans
Raynard van Tonder to North West
Mathew Kleinveldt to Titans
Alfred Mothoa to EP Warriors
Patrick Kruger to EP Warriors (although NW also in)
Pite van Biljon joining newly promoted KZN Inland Tuskers
Migael Pretorius going T20 freelance like Rossouw/Dwaine Pretorius

Sure there is more to come.

SeamUp

International Coach
Hopefully they keep hold of Stubbs, M.Jansen, Breetzke & Hermann particularly.

“It’s been quite a ride for us, a positive season judging by the fact that we’ve got a young group – growth in a lot of players, Matthew [Breetzke], Jordan Hermann, Diego Rosier and other players,” said Peterson.

“I have been impressed by how we’ve approached this season, especially in red-ball cricket. We had some pretty decent stuff this season, at the very first game chasing 380 against Gbets Rocks.

“We finished at Newlands in style, so this all has been a pretty 4-Day Series game and season for us, I am happy with the team’s performance.”

“It’s always a tricky time of the season with contract renewals and some are ending, but once that settles you can then start setting goals,” he said.

“That’s the most important thing you know, setting new standards and making sure players are improving every year. So, now it’s first getting the business side of the contract then we focus on cricket and on-field business.”

He added that as a team it’s not always easy to keep players during this time.

“We will have to wait and see, it’s not always our choice, sometimes players feel like their future lies somewhere else so we just have to wait and see,” he continues.

“It’s a tricky time and you would love to keep everyone but it’s not possible.”

SeamUp

International Coach
Some really surprising domestic transfers in the pipeline after we say goodbye to Free State from top division cricket in SA.

How WP have allowed Hamza and Moreki to be leaving for the Lions is a surprise. Especially as BA's have always been a problem for WP cricket and now you have de Zorzi in the SA pipeline.

Keegan Petersen (CSA Contracted) but going home to Boland.
Wihan Lubbe leaving Warriors to go back home to NW Dragons
Sean Whitehead leaving SWD Div 2 cricket for EP Warriors

Free State being raided.
Gerald Coetzee to Titans
Raynard van Tonder to North West
Mathew Kleinveldt to Titans
Alfred Mothoa to EP Warriors
Patrick Kruger to EP Warriors (although NW also in)
Pite van Biljon joining newly promoted KZN Inland Tuskers
Migael Pretorius going T20 freelance like Rossouw/Dwaine Pretorius

Sure there is more to come.

More transfers.

Mbulelo Budaza FS to KZN Inland Tuskers
Mthi Nabe Warriors to WP
Juan James (WP Rookie contract) -debuted for NW after leaving WP first year out of school & playing SA U19s but back home
Meeka-eel Prince (NW Dragons Rookie Contract) - first out of school from WP & SA U19s
Glenton Stuurman Warriors to Boland

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I've made a post about it before but Bedingham is awesome and should be selected immediately at #5 IMO.
Can bedingham keep well enough to take the gloves at test level? If the SA selectors are determined to not pick veryenne i'de rather bedingham to klassan in red ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can bedingham keep well enough to take the gloves at test level? If the SA selectors are determined to not pick veryenne i'de rather bedingham to klassan in red ball.
I haven't seen him keep much so I couldn't say for sure but he does it so rarely that my guess is 'no' - I think he could average 45+ with the bat anyway so I'd probably not want to burden him with it.

Should just recall Verreynne immediately IMO.

1 Elgar
2 Markram
3 de Zorzi / Rickelton / Petersen
4 Bavuma
5 Bedingham
6 Mulder
7 Verreynne

#3 obviously not settled, but I think all three have potential, and two of them have spent a fair bit of time opening so one could replace Elgar when he hangs them up / gets put out to pasture.

They'd probably want to swap Mulder and the keeper (and leave him out for Muthusamy half the time) but I think he needs to be backed in as a batting allrounder to sink or swim in a serious batting position.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't seen him keep much so I couldn't say for sure but he does it so rarely that my guess is 'no' - I think he could average 45+ with the bat anyway so I'd probably not want to burden him with it.

Should just recall Verreynne immediately IMO.

1 Elgar
2 Markram
3 de Zorzi / Rickelton / Petersen
4 Bavuma
5 Bedingham
6 Mulder
7 Verreynne

#3 obviously not settled, but I think all three have potential, and two of them have spent a fair bit of time opening so one could replace Elgar when he hangs them up / gets put out to pasture.

They'd probably want to swap Mulder and the keeper (and leave him out for Muthusamy half the time) but I think he needs to be backed in as a batting allrounder to sink or swim in a serious batting position.
There's some real potential for SA to put together a gun all conditionsred ball side for the next few years if the selectors get their act together. They've got a gun, experienced 4 man group in ngidi-nortje-rabada-Jansen who all do different things and fast bowling depth out their ass to a point where injuries should never be a SERIOUS concern, and for once in their life have a solid front line spinner in maharaj and 2 other gun, experienced depth options in harmer and linde. Jansen and all 3 of the spinners are genuine test #8's so as long as SA don't try the jansen/harmer at 7 crap there tail is strong aswell. Their issue in an ideal world has always been the batting but it looks like they have a solid mix of talented younger guys and experienced vets 35-40 average vets they can build a lineup around.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I think I've made a post about it before but Bedingham is awesome and should be selected immediately at #5 IMO.
Aye Bedders is class. Would be daft not to select him. As much as it would be a massive loss to Durham in the event South Africa play much cricket during the English season.

Thought he was going to commit himself to England. Saw him and his lass buying furniture. With the price of Barker and Stonehouse you'd be massively out of pocket moving back to South Africa :laugh:

Marius

International Debutant
Aye Bedders is class. Would be daft not to select him. As much as it would be a massive loss to Durham in the event South Africa play much cricket during the English season.

Thought he was going to commit himself to England. Saw him and his lass buying furniture. With the price of Barker and Stonehouse you'd be massively out of pocket moving back to South Africa :laugh:
Think he reckons he has a better chance of making the SA XI, rather than England, and he's not wrong.

He would be a great addition, staring to feel a bit more positive about our cricket lately, solid bowling (which we almost always have) and batting starting to look stronger than in recent years.

Us Saffas were so spoilt with that Golden Generation of Amla, Smith, Kallis, AB, Gibbs etc :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not really the right thread but it'll get the people I want to see it looking at it - former WP hero Sybrand Engelbrecht has earned a shock call up to the Netherlands WC squad.

I had no idea he was even still playing. Indeed he hasn't played any games covered by cricinfo since 2016.

Marius

International Debutant
Lions getting annihilated by WP at the Wanderers, 52/8.

And this is just after they were bowled for 80-odd v the newbies, KZN Inland.