• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** South Africa Tour of CW !!! **

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
he meaningful part is for individual players who want to establish something.
Yes , as liam said and there is 2 games for that..So although test players do have a spot already they shouldnt play it safe either, the competition is stiff and grows stronger...

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
HMMMM dammm thought i wouldve been in there.. but owelll wilson u better do well along with u other black boys :) congrats on all.

dinu23

International Debutant
lord_of_darkness said:
hes only putting up a fair opinion.. if marc doesnt think much of the game then he should step down and give someone else an opportunity.. The board has made the selections after careful thinking..
yeah, if he doesn't think much of the game, he can step down and do some meaningfull stuff.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
kears_falcon_9 said:
HMMMM dammm thought i wouldve been in there.. but owelll wilson u better do well along with u other black boys :) congrats on all.
you were pretty stiff mate, i didnt expect to be picked hopefully we can knock South Africa's confidence about. Oh and congrats to all that made the team especially fellow Black team members.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Well - I'm glad you think so but personally I think any fool could see that was the right decision.
With 20/20 hindsight, yeah...when he had taken 1 for 200-odd in Pakistan, it wasn't so clear-cut!

Slats4ever

dinu23 said:
yeah, if he doesn't think much of the game, he can step down and do some meaningfull stuff.
All he's trying to do is make sure that the reds are looked after and he's captain... so i don't see it as any major wrong doing..

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
He's basically saying that the outcome of this game is insignificant in the greater picture, and that CW Red, Black and Green shouldn't lose 3 first teamers while Blue only have to lose 2. He is simply suggesting that the 12th man be a Blue 1st XI player, to even out the teams.

Slats4ever

word robby... these people don't realise that some of the reds are just as passionate about playing for the reds as they are for playing for the CW XI.... other teams don't have that passion. but it's alive in the reds and it comes from our captain

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How is it a meaningless game when the team selection is so thoughtful? Perhaps it's meaningless to you, but I'm pretty sure those players are all thrilled at the opportunity to address the selectors.
By meaningless I am comparing it to the Dev league, which is reaching a climax at the moment, and is actually a competitive game rather than a friendly.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Well done to the Blacks. Wilson was a certainty, but great that Bhatia got a chance to show he's got what it takes for the test side.

KennyD

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
but I'm pretty sure those players are all thrilled at the opportunity to address the selectors.
Oh yeah, Im chuffed to make the team, really unexpected, I'll do my best.

That being said, I hope this gives my fellow Red squad members a chance to play Dv league cricket and do well in the opportunities that come their way.

cbuts

International Debutant
Slats4ever said:
word robby... these people don't realise that some of the reds are just as passionate about playing for the reds as they are for playing for the CW XI.... other teams don't have that passion. but it's alive in the reds and it comes from our captain
everyone loves playing for the dev league, but the whole reason of playing dev league is for higher honours. the moment you would pass up higher honours for dev league, i think its time to move on and give someone else a go

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
He's basically saying that the outcome of this game is insignificant in the greater picture, and that CW Red, Black and Green shouldn't lose 3 first teamers while Blue only have to lose 2. He is simply suggesting that the 12th man be a Blue 1st XI player, to even out the teams.
And as I said, if he wishes to step aside and play dev league cricket and allow someone from another side to compete for selection to strengthen his dev league side, he can simply make himself unavailable for selection. Hell, he could ask his whole team to make themseleves unavailable. I know I'd be happy to play for the Chairman's XI, as would any other Blue player not in contention for a test spot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
And as I said, if he wishes to step aside and play dev league cricket and allow someone from another side to compete for selection to strengthen his dev league side, he can simply make himself unavailable for selection.
Yes, and you completely ignored my point about that game in the grand scheme of things.

Anyone who questions my desire to play for the CW XI clearly hasn't been following the XI for long.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
^ word.. it just means the chairman's have been awarding you for your performances and giving you an opportunity.. its just not an everyday thing really..

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Samuel_Vimes said:
With 20/20 hindsight, yeah...when he had taken 1 for 200-odd in Pakistan, it wasn't so clear-cut!
It was staying in the side and knowing I had the confidence of the selectors, captain and other fast bowling candidates, and most importantly my team mates, that gave me the confidence to play well against Sri Lanka. My record is disapointing, but until now I haven't felt the responsibility of being the 'leader', rather I was finding my way. Now it is up to me to lead from the front.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
And as I said, if he wishes to step aside and play dev league cricket and allow someone from another side to compete for selection to strengthen his dev league side, he can simply make himself unavailable for selection. Hell, he could ask his whole team to make themseleves unavailable. I know I'd be happy to play for the Chairman's XI, as would any other Blue player not in contention for a test spot.
Where did you ever get the idea that he wanted to step aside? His whole argument was not that he wanted Reds to be at full strength, but that Blue should be equally handicapped as all the other teams.

How you ever conjured the idea Marc didn't want to represent in favour of the Dev League flabbergasts me!

masterblaster

International Captain
Buddhmaster said:
Well done to the Blacks. Wilson was a certainty, but great that Bhatia got a chance to show he's got what it takes for the test side.
Thanks mate, I will certainly try to grab that opportunity and cement my place in the test side. Regardless of who plays, it should be a top series and we should all get behind our team.

We can take apart South Africa and we have the right player pool and a very strong domestic structure to do it.