• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Marius

International Debutant
Take with the requisite amount of salt but a rumour on the circuit is that Elgar doesn't dig Rickelton and he pushed for Klaasen to get called up.

EDIT: To clarify he is injured but it's not super serious and he could have toured Aus if necessary.

Last edited:

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Take with the requisite amount of salt but a rumour on the circuit is that Elgar doesn't dig Rickelton and he pushed for Klaasen to get called up.

EDIT: To clarify he is injured but it's not super serious and he could have toured Aus if necessary.
Speaking about Elgar he averages only 29.70 away from home in 35 Tests :

Test batting averages in Countries Elgar has played in :

South Africa : 47.15
Australia : 23.00
England : 30.62
India : 30.75
New Zealand : 32.00
Pakistan : 29.75
Sri Lanka : 22.25
UAE : 23.00
Zimbabwe : 41.00
West Indies : 29.00

Even Bavuma who gets picked on all the time, averages higher than Elgar away from home , this is our Test captain and supposedly best batsmen ..His away stats are absolutely mediocre can't possibly inspire confidence to the inexperienced players coming in ..

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Weird and concerning, the media never seem to bring it up either ..It's a huge discrepancy and one of the reasons why South Africa can't win test series away from home like they used to . Lack of big runs from the senior batsmen

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Elgar seemed to turn a corner 2017/18... but subsequently just never carried on going. His place in the team is poorly because of 'experience' and his captaincy. I said in an early post I think this is his last shot else he needs to be dropped and Maharaj made captain.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Elgar seemed to turn a corner 2017/18... but subsequently just never carried on going. His place in the team is poorly because of 'experience' and his captaincy. I said in an early post I think this is his last shot else he needs to be dropped and Maharaj made captain.
Elgar's home - away split is pretty poor, but this seems way too far. He's averaged 38 opening the batting in some of the most hostile conditions for batting that we've ever seen (atleast between 2015 and 2020). Most teams would kill for an opener of that quality, and it's not like there's a ton of gun domestic openers running around who could fill his spot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Elgar's home - away split is pretty poor, but this seems way too far. He's averaged 38 opening the batting in some of the most hostile conditions for batting that we've ever seen (atleast between 2015 and 2020). Most teams would kill for an opener of that quality, and it's not like there's a ton of gun domestic openers running around who could fill his spot.
Yeah I wouldn't drop Elgar if he made ten ducks in a row, and tbh I'd consider him for a World XI right now (Usman plus who? Warner? Latham? Rohit? Karunaratne? Conway out of position? Elgar is in the argument with these guys IMO) even despite his crappy away record.

Stephen is over-compensating for the problems he sees with SA's selection policy to the point where he's as pro-fetus as the NSW selectors (shoutout to @Burgey).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is actually a number of good domestic players that could open and have opened. He is likely to retire soon anyway.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Stephen is over-compensating for the problems he sees with SA's selection policy to the point where he's as pro-fetus as the NSW selectors (shoutout to @Burgey).
Not really I just want to start selecting the most talented and train them up, because if we keep delaying while trying to fix the FC structures we just repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Not all of that talent will work out, but it has a better chance of getting us back to the top than picking the consistent journeyman while the talent languishes without support at FC level.

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
I disagree, guys like Joshua Richards, Raynard Van Tonder heck even Pieter Malan (Didn't get a fair shot at Test cricket Imo) have very respectable records opening the batting just haven't been given the opportunity...Elgar is 35 so a replacement will come sooner rather than later .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not really I just want to start selecting the most talented and train them up, because if we keep delaying while trying to fix the FC structures we just repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Not all of that talent will work out, but it has a better chance of getting us back to the top than picking the consistent journeyman while the talent languishes without support at FC level.
Yeah this is exactly what the NSW selectors would say.

Bahseph

State Captain
Verreynne on 201* at the moment. Coincidentally also the sequence of his first three scores in Aus - 2, 0, 1
I don't think that Verreynne will replicate this sort of a hundred in Australia, but who would we rather have as wicketkeeper at the moment? He does have a Test hundred and he is on the younger side.