• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Carlos

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Test team moving forward i would like to see:
P. Malan
J. Malan
Humzayr
KLaasen
De Kock (c and wk)
Van Der Dussen
Pretorius
Nortje
Maharaj
Rabada
Ngidi

MrPrez

International Debutant
Johann de Jager reports of 4 new contacts. Rassie, Dwaine , Beuran and Anrich. Theunis lost his as well all the retired one's.

Dean Elgar (Titans)
Aiden Markram (Titans)
Rassie van der Dussen (Lions)
Faf du Plessis (Titans)
Temba Bavuma (Lions)
Quinton de Kock (Titans)
Dwaine Pretorius (Lions)
Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins)
Kagiso Rabada (Lions)
Lungi Ngidi (Titans)
Anrich Nortje (Warriors)
Beuran Hendricks (Lions)

Limited overs
Reeza Hendricks (Lions)
David Miller (Dolphins)
Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins)
Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans)
Pretorius getting one is a bit worrying.

Hendricks too but I feel that was always going to be a token contract given to some backup bowler.

Would have liked to see intent by giving Malan and/or Mulder a contract but I guess the latter hasn't done enough to justify one yet.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Pretorius was always going to get one because of them persuading him not to go Kolpak. I don't know if they specifically promised him a contract, but they couldn't not give him one.

Reeza Hendricks puzzles me a little. He appears to have fallen out of favour in both T20s and ODIs, with Bavuma and Malan being preferred, yet he still gets a contract?

Heboric

International Debutant
Aai , Beuran Hendricks seems to me reminds me of Wayne Parnell and not in a good way. Hope he proves me wrong

SeamUp

International Coach
Reeza is the massive surprise. Almost like you say we wait until we see the official announcement.

SeamUp

International Coach
CSA contracted 16 confirmed.

Cricket South Africa
@OfficialCSA
CSA contracted Proteas men’s players: T Bavuma, Q de Kock, F du Plessis, D Elgar, B Hendricks, R Hendricks, K Maharaj, A Markram, D Miller, L Ngidi, A Nortje, A Phehlukwayo, D Pretorius, K Rabada, T Shamsi, R van der Dussen.

Dendarii

International Debutant
And the women:

Trisha Chetty (KZN Coastal), Nadine de Klerk (WP), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Shabnim Ismail (KZN Coastal), Sinalo Jafta (WP), Marizanne Kapp (EP), Ayabonga Khaka (Gauteng), Masabata Klaas (North West), Lizelle Lee (North West), Sune Luus (Northerns), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Chloe Tryon (KZN Coastal), Dane van Niekerk (EP), Laura Wolvaardt (WP)
De Klerk and Jafta the new contracted players.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA A tour to Windies probably in doubt.

Next year to 18 months needs to be massive. Officially sort men from boys.

Batsmen (Elgar, Markram, vd Dussen, du Plessis, de Kock, Bavuma, Miller, R.Hendricks)
Cobras : P.Malan, J.Malan, Hamza, De Zorzi, Verreynne, Bird
Warriors : Moore, Breetzke, Smuts, Second, Qeshile, Lubbe, Marais
Dolphins : Roelofsen, Ackerman, Petersen
Knights : van Tonder, Makwetu
Lions : Rickelton, Mulder, Potgieter
Titans : de Bruyn, Klaasen

Spin (Maharaj, Shamsi)
Cobras : Linde
Dolphins : Subrayen, Muthusamy
Knights : von Berg
Lions : Fortuin

Seam (Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, D.Pretorius, B.Hendricks, Phehlukwayo)
Cobras : Burger
Warriors : Stuurman , M.Jansen, Tait
Dolphins : Dupavillon
Knights : Coetzee
Lions : Magala , Sipamla
Titans : Galiem, Ntini

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

SeamUp

International Coach
I am happy for Paterson; he became an almost sort of international player that once again is great for the domestic but is not quite for international level.
The loss to the domestic game is the only real loss for me re Paterson. I am actually surprised a County wants to sign him.

SeamUp

International Coach
I have always been a big advocate of dupavillon but watching him more recently I definitely think he has lost a little bot of pace; I think he has been forced to change some of his mechanics and I`m uncertain about his long term future as an international player. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, deserves the opportunities.
For me I think anything is a real bonus to me re: Dupavillon after what he ahs been through. Not many bowlers give you that feeling they can be something special and he did. Big jump to international. We all looking for the sub 25 bowler there. I also think being a fast bowler in KZN is a hard slog and he could add value in how he has had to adapt considering how poor our SA fast bowlers have been in test match cricket there for years. But I agree that it seemed a stop-start season for him. Think at his best he can blow franchise cricket apart which we didn't get even considering his home conditions. So hopefully more to come.

Re: the something special. Only really Gerald Coetzee has given me that feeling when he is at his best from the next group but I want him to make sure his body can hold up and learns under Donald for at least the next 12-18 months before international cricket. SA A tours rewarding talent is fine but don't rush him to the Proteas.

Last edited: