• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Nah us SA can say what ever we want here... not like anybody else reads it, based on the questions in the tour threads! Whats up with stage 4!!
:D

Really starting to frustrate me. Planned for stage 1, then stage 2 and now stage 4 since Sunday evening.

Might need to start looking at more modern generators for work. But it is the simple electrical appliances like fridges, dish decoder that if you don't have power surge plugs get broken from this loadshedding.

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't follow the sport at all, so I can't comment on what the challenges are, but from an outsider's perspective, it seems ridiculous to me that South Africa isn't a better football nation. While I wouldn't necessarily expect us to compete with the wealthier European nations, I don't see why we shouldn't be the best team in Africa. That's the case in pretty much every other sport I can think of, so we have the raw ability and resources and it's just a matter of making use of them. Which I realise might be easier said than done...
Likewise.

Tennis is another sport , why I am confused we haven't been better at.

SeamUp

International Coach
It would be understated to say I’m not a big football fan. But speaking to those who know and play the sport in SA, apparently scouting is a big issue. With talented players who aren’t at the right clubs not getting selected. Partly due to politics within the sport, nepotism and also due to literal bribery and corruption.

So it is less of a development issue, but more of the club game having a rotten core and not selecting the right players who eventually get lost.

It is almost the exact opposite problem in cricket where if you get into the cricketing structures, and show talent, you are looked after pretty well. It is just getting the kids to play cricket across the country from diverse backgrounds.
And those are just rotten to the core problems that if there were people serious enough to make a difference need to whistleblow on this. But the thing is, if there was a super star out there that person who finds them becomes famous too and their name is in lights so the cream should still rise. So it does make me wonder about coaching of talent in teenage years and what we do wrong if we have the raw talent that we should have.

PSL team split.

Limpopo : Baroka, Polokwane, Black Leopards
Joburg : Chiefs, Pirates, Wits Uni, Highlands Park
Pretoria : Sundowns, Super Sport United
Free State : Bloem Celtic
KZN : Maritzburg United, Golden Arrows, AmaZulu
Eastern Cape : Chippa United (PE)
Western Cape : Cape Town City, Stellenbosch Uni

Division one has Ajax Cape Town (CT) , Moroka Swallows (Joburg/Soweto) who look to be bouncing back up.

It is always good to see where the talent should be produced from in SA. Does East London "Black Africans" have such a limited love for football compared to rugby to not have a professional team near the top ?

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And those are just rotten to the core problems that if there were people serious enough to make a difference need to whistleblow on this. But the thing is, if there was a super star out there that person who finds them becomes famous too and their name is in lights so the cream should still rise. So it does make me wonder about coaching of talent in teenage years and what we do wrong if we have the raw talent that we should have.
This requires long term thinking... that rotten core does not think like that. They are generally worried about their bread being buttered today...

It is always good to see where the talent should be produced from in SA. Does East London "Black Africans" have such a limited love for football compared to rugby to not have a professional team near the top ?
The guy I spoke to about this is from this area and he just explained how the lack of recognition for the local clubs and players, is terrible. If you look at it, all the clubs are based in the money areas. Can easily see how an internal nepotism structure can take root.

But this is just what I`ve heard, not enough knowledge to really know.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Tennis is another sport , why I am confused we haven't been better at.
Can we claim Roger Federer? Apparently he holds dual Swiss and South African citizenship. :D

Tennis quite possibly has a similar problem to the one MrPrez mentioned about affluent schools not offering football. For those schools the two big sports are rugby and cricket, so those two get the most resources given to them, and are going to snatch up the good sportsmen. So someone might be good at another sport like tennis, but it's not going to be as easy to progress if they have to go outside of the school structures to get anywhere.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Just my opinion. Stone , Bezuidenhout , Porteous and Lombard are the first group from the modern shake-up of amateur/junior golf in SA.

Not only were we winning majors and competing regularly in them with the well-known names guys like Tim Clarke , Rory Sabbatini, Trevor Immelman etc were getting into the top 10/20 in the world.

The new guys on the block : https://www.sport24.co.za/Golf/Suns...-schaper-ready-to-chase-more-records-20200112

https://www.amateurgolf.com/golf-to...under--Jarvis-takes-South-African-Stroke-Play

Garrick Higgo is 20 and rookie of the year on Sunshine Tour and already in the top 200 in the world.

Even someone like Wilco Nienaber who isn't in these 3's category has been playing on the European Tour on invitations and is climbing the rankings - Now about 500. He should be more on the European Challenge Tour to qualify but they keep inviting him to these events.

They are on completely different ends of the spectrum. But what I am trying to highlight is that SA golf has never rested on it's laurels and with Rupert's smart investment are looking to push excellence boundaries some of our other sports could learn from. I mean Safa and CSA have been getting 100s of millions (if not more) to try improve situations.

But we probably should return to the cricket for this thread :D
I take back what I said... I had no idea those guys were all so young!

I had noticed a dearth of genuine top-10 talents in SA compared to before but I thought that was just the ebb and flow of life. It certainly is a lot more pronounced when looking at ages. And one must therefore feel that the investment and the rise of so many stars can't be a coincidence.

I don't follow the sport at all, so I can't comment on what the challenges are, but from an outsider's perspective, it seems ridiculous to me that South Africa isn't a better football nation. While I wouldn't necessarily expect us to compete with the wealthier European nations, I don't see why we shouldn't be the best team in Africa. That's the case in pretty much every other sport I can think of, so we have the raw ability and resources and it's just a matter of making use of them. Which I realise might be easier said than done...
I don't follow much in terms of SA football either but we actually probably should be able to compete (somewhat) with the European guys. We do it in rugby and cricket - I know football is a much "wealthier" sport but between the passion and our ability to create elite sportsteams in those sports, we should at least be able to be as good as the second-tier teams in Europe.

But looking at the Brazil example there really isn't much reason we can't have as good infrastructure as them - my understanding is we're pretty similar economically as nations etc.

Nah us SA can say what ever we want here... not like anybody else reads it, based on the questions in the tour threads! Whats up with stage 4!!
Stage 4 is nonsense. Had no power from 4 until 8:30 yesterday! The joys of being a direct customer of Eskom rather than via a municipality.

MrPrez

International Debutant
This requires long term thinking... that rotten core does not think like that. They are generally worried about their bread being buttered today...

The guy I spoke to about this is from this area and he just explained how the lack of recognition for the local clubs and players, is terrible. If you look at it, all the clubs are based in the money areas. Can easily see how an internal nepotism structure can take root.

But this is just what I`ve heard, not enough knowledge to really know.
I'm from EL too. Didn't really get involved in the club scene much while I lived there but I certainly know that there were a few teams that seemed to target lower-income areas (particularly Buffalo Flats and similar areas, if I recall correctly).

But I think Border is also notoriously bad when it comes to sports infrastructure - I imagine football infrastructure in lower-income areas is much the same.

In East London I believe the only school that offers soccer as an actual sport is Hudson (I might even be wrong about them offering it any more) - I doubt there is, well, any developmental infrastructure in the region for young talents.

Regarding teams, we had Bush Bucks for a while but the management of that team resulted in it being liquidated or something - I think it was bought out and rebranded into one of the current PSL teams (Black Aces maybe?)

We have Blackburn Rovers (lol) now but they're languishing in the NFD iirc.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm from EL too. Didn't really get involved in the club scene much while I lived there but I certainly know that there were a few teams that seemed to target lower-income areas (particularly Buffalo Flats and similar areas, if I recall correctly).

But I think Border is also notoriously bad when it comes to sports infrastructure - I imagine football infrastructure in lower-income areas is much the same.

In East London I believe the only school that offers soccer as an actual sport is Hudson (I might even be wrong about them offering it any more) - I doubt there is, well, any developmental infrastructure in the region for young talents.

Regarding teams, we had Bush Bucks for a while but the management of that team resulted in it being liquidated or something - I think it was bought out and rebranded into one of the current PSL teams (Black Aces maybe?)

We have Blackburn Rovers (lol) now but they're languishing in the NFD iirc.
:D Umtata Bush Bucks !! Remember them.

A lot of the English-speaking schools used to offer soccer. The problem I heard it stopped in Cape Town is schedules weren't kept to.

If I am not mistaken , the top English speaking schools in KZN and Gauteng carried on offering soccer though.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
:D Umtata Bush Bucks !! Remember them.

A lot of the English-speaking schools used to offer soccer. The problem I heard it stopped in Cape Town is schedules weren't kept to.

If I am not mistaken , the top English speaking schools in KZN and Gauteng carried on offering soccer though.
That's interesting if true. I had assumed that almost all English speaking schools (save, perhaps, smaller ones that don't focus on rugby and sports in general) didn't offer it.

SeamUp

International Coach
Isn't Albie a bit young to be participating in this? And Mclaren these guys have just barely retired!
Not sure on the qualifications but it does seem fine looking at other squads. Probably just have to be retired. Sri Lanka have the real TPC for example.

SeamUp

International Coach
Alan Dawson the star of the show in our opening 2 victories over Wales and England in the over 50s.

Smashed 68 off 40 balls v Wales and got wickets and defended 5 in the last over v England.

SeamUp

International Coach
CSA contracted Standard Bank Proteas men’s players: Hashim Amla (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Temba Bavuma (bizhub Highveld Lions), Theunis de Bruyn (Multiply Titans), Quinton de Kock (Multiply Titans), Faf du Plessis (Multiply Titans), Dean Elgar (Multiply Titans), Reeza Hendricks (bizhub Highveld Lions), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Multiply Titans), David Miller (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Multiply Titans), Andile Phehlukwayo (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Vernon Philander (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rabada (bizhub Highveld Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Multiply Titans), Dale Steyn (Multiply Titans).

This was CSA's 2019/20 contract list :laugh: so much change a few months into announcement. So Amla, Philander and Steyn are no more. vd Dussen , D.Pretorius and Nortje probably replaced those.

For 2020/21 I think we may expect de Bruyn and R.Hendricks may lose theirs. Faf ? Only 16 contracted now.

SeamUp

International Coach
Johann de Jager reports of 4 new contacts. Rassie, Dwaine , Beuran and Anrich. Theunis lost his as well all the retired one's.

Dean Elgar (Titans)
Aiden Markram (Titans)
Rassie van der Dussen (Lions)
Faf du Plessis (Titans)
Temba Bavuma (Lions)
Quinton de Kock (Titans)
Dwaine Pretorius (Lions)
Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins)
Kagiso Rabada (Lions)
Lungi Ngidi (Titans)
Anrich Nortje (Warriors)
Beuran Hendricks (Lions)