• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
minor point but why the 'apparently' re McMillan? Did you mandela effect- misremember him retiring much earlier/later?
Thought he retired earlier than that until I actually checked..... the 'apparently' was more about my surprise/confusion in the end.

MrPrez

International Debutant
minor point but why the 'apparently' re McMillan? Did you mandela effect- misremember him retiring much earlier/later?
Bizarrely I really thought he'd played until at least '99 because I thought I remembered him in the '99 CWC video game I used to play religiously.

SeamUp

International Coach
Quite a few careers ended in 1998. I remember quite a few being pushed aside. We had toured Australia and England and it was considered an end of a cycle.

Guys like Andrew Hudson, Brian McMillan, Dave Richardson, Pat Symcox and Fanie de Villiers all played their last international games in 1998. Swinger retired after Australia because of Boucher and we had a tough tour and think he got an injury if memory serves me correct!

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Bizarrely I really thought he'd played until at least '99 because I thought I remembered him in the '99 CWC video game I used to play religiously.
Still remember that 1999 World Cup squad like yesterday.

Gary Kirsten
Herschelle Gibbs
Jacques Kallis
Daryll Cullinan
Hansie Cronje
Jonty Rhodes
Lance Klusener
Shaun Pollock
Mark Boucher
Allan Donald
Steve Elworthy
Nicky Boje
Dale Benkenstein
Alan Dawson
Derek Crookes

Bob Woolmer made sure we remained the best fielding side in the world and even the reserve guys who didn't play like Benkenstein and Crookes were like the best fielders in the country behind Rhodes/Gibbs.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Still remember that 1999 World Cup squad like yesterday.

Gary Kirsten
Herschelle Gibbs
Jacques Kallis
Daryll Cullinan
Hansie Cronje
Jonty Rhodes
Lance Klusener
Shaun Pollock
Mark Boucher
Allan Donald
Steve Elworthy
Nicky Boje
Dale Benkenstein
Alan Dawson
Derek Crookes

Bob Woolmer made sure we remained the best fielding side in the world and even the reserve guys who didn't play like Benkenstein and Crookes were like the best fielders in the country behind Rhodes/Gibbs.
The core of that side - Kirsten, Gibbs, Kallis, Rhodes, Klusener, Pollock, Boucher, Donald, Boje - is the first "generation" that I truly remember following as a cricket fan. Good times.

SeamUp

International Coach
The core of that side - Kirsten, Gibbs, Kallis, Rhodes, Klusener, Pollock, Boucher, Donald, Boje - is the first "generation" that I truly remember following as a cricket fan. Good times.
Yeah what a core. Duel cricketers, grafters, stroke-makers, speed, greats.

SeamUp

International Coach
Been thinking.

This WC is so important for Miller. It could be his last international appearance if things don't go right for the team and or him personally. Shamsi is in a similar predicament but his future will be known in the first year or two post WC if he can really be relied upon to replace Tahir as numero uno. van der Dussen probably the same. Pretorius is just a desperate stop-gap.

Amla, Faf, JP, Steyn, Tahir will all retire.
QdK, Markram, Phehlukwayo, KG, Ngidi, Nortje the future

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boje didn't get many games at that cup right? They went spinnerless for the crunch games. I remember their side really well too, Pollock/Klusener/Boucher at 7/8/9 then Elworthy/Donald. Pity Ntini had his incident

Dendarii

International Debutant
Boje didn't get many games at that cup right? They went spinnerless for the crunch games. I remember their side really well too, Pollock/Klusener/Boucher at 7/8/9 then Elworthy/Donald. Pity Ntini had his incident
It looks like Boje played two games in that tournament - South Africa's opening match against India and the Super Six loss to Australia. Other than that it was the same side throughout.

SeamUp

International Coach
It looks like Boje played two games in that tournament - South Africa's opening match against India and the Super Six loss to Australia. Other than that it was the same side throughout.
Was going to say I remember him playing the super 6 game v Australia. Got a key run out if memory serves me correct.

Bolo

State Captain
Been thinking.

This WC is so important for Miller. It could be his last international appearance if things don't go right for the team and or him personally. Shamsi is in a similar predicament but his future will be known in the first year or two post WC if he can really be relied upon to replace Tahir as numero uno. van der Dussen probably the same. Pretorius is just a desperate stop-gap.

Amla, Faf, JP, Steyn, Tahir will all retire.
QdK, Markram, Phehlukwayo, KG, Ngidi, Nortje the future
Are you thinking miller will retire or get dropped?

Are steyn, faf and amla still vague/assumed on retirement timing?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Probably dropped. We have a lot of talented youngsters coming through who may compete for spots.

That said I'd be surprised if he's dropped given guys like Amla and Faf are all likely to go soon. He's only 29 after all, and our batting hardly allows us to get rid of experienced campaigners like him.

I don't think any have confirmed retirement post-WC, but none will last very long past it. a year or two at best, you'd imagine.

Dendarii

International Debutant
MrPrez;4182750I don't think any have confirmed retirement post-WC said:
Just trying to remember various articles I've read - Faf has said that he wants to play in the T20 World Cup next year, so there's a good chance he'll stick around in the ODI side until then as well; I think Steyn has expressed an interest in continuing with test cricket and may have suggested that he'll give up ODI cricket for that; Amla I don't recall reading anything about.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Just trying to remember various articles I've read - Faf has said that he wants to play in the T20 World Cup next year, so there's a good chance he'll stick around in the ODI side until then as well; I think Steyn has expressed an interest in continuing with test cricket and may have suggested that he'll give up ODI cricket for that; Amla I don't recall reading anything about.
They're 34, 35, and 36 respectively. While I doubt they'll immediately retire, none of them will be around for much longer.

Steyn wants to keep playing Test cricket but it's honestly a matter of time before his body just won't hold up. Amla feels like someone who will retire soon - particularly given his form. Faf might stick around for a while yet - probably retiring around the T20 world cup or soon after.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Steyn wants to keep playing Test cricket but it's honestly a matter of time before his body just won't hold up.
Obviously at some point Steyn will no longer be up to it physically, but I do wonder whether Steyn's extended absence might have actually prolonged his career a bit as he was able to have an extended period recovering from the wear and tear on his body as wells as any lingering niggles . He's spoken about how he feels like a young player again and there is perhaps a bit of truth to that. And while I really don't keep track of players' personal lives, I don't think he has any kids, so he doesn't have the same family pressures that players like Morkel and AB felt.

SeamUp

International Coach

Thinking he has IPL and all T20 options around the world. He has a good tournament record but they will need him to show he is ready to be a leader of the batting line-up with QdK. Can't be certain if it will be Miller or SA who make the decision. Maybe it will be more like Shamsi. But how the tournament goes will say a lot I reckon.

Faf has spoken about players retiring from ODI cricket after the world cup. There would be no point in them carrying on. Next season is certainly their last. Major test series and T20 WC will be the highlight. But I don't really think Steyn should be up for T20 WC. I reckon he could play test cricket longer than the home summer out of Amla, Faf and him.