• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Problem is what happens when Steyn (33) , Philander (31) , Morkel (32) are gone for good ?

Problem is what happens when Cook (34), Amla (33), AB (32), Faf (32), Duminy (32) , "Behardien" (33) are gone for good ?

We losing 25-29 year-olds at the moment. The next bracket.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
To be honest I'm not really that worried about fast bowlers,I'm more worried about our batsmen. I don't think we producing out and out quality batsmen like we should. I know there's De Bruyn, Markram and Smith but is that enough? In the next years we gonna be losing our middle order and I'm honestly not convinced we have our bases covered there.

SeamUp

International Coach
To be honest I'm not really that worried about fast bowlers,I'm more worried about our batsmen. I don't think we producing out and out quality batsmen like we should. I know there's De Bruyn, Markram and Smith but is that enough? In the next years we gonna be losing our middle order and I'm honestly not convinced we have our bases covered there.
I agree. We really need to find some superstar young batsman but I suppose that need is quite high around the world right now.

Anyways JP has probably booked his spot for New Zealand with a top hundred today. But it's probably starting to build up, the good knocks he has had at number 4 since New Zealand at home.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. We really need to find some superstar young batsman but I suppose that need is quite high around the world right now.

Anyways JP has probably booked his spot for New Zealand with a top hundred today. But it's probably starting to build up, the good knocks he has had at number 4 since New Zealand at home.
Regards the batsmen... we have already got QDK coming in and showing as a potential great. Most of the current batsmen have probably 4+ years left. With a few youngsters like de Bruyn still showing good potential. It is unusual to have more than 2 great batsmen in a team. Those that had more generally ended as all time great teams.

So with AB likely to replace Bavuma (assuming no political resistance).... does Duminy remain at no4? and if so does Faf move to 6 with AB at 5?

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
When AB comes back I expect Bavuma to be dropped. It'll be a straight shootout between him and De Bruyn for a reserve batting spot.

SeamUp

International Coach
Regards the batsmen... we have already got QDK coming in and showing as a potential great. Most of the current batsmen have probably 4+ years left. With a few youngsters like de Bruyn still showing good potential. It is unusual to have more than 2 great batsmen in a team. Those that had more generally ended as all time great teams.

So with AB likely to replace Bavuma (assuming no political resistance).... does Duminy remain at no4? and if so does Faf move to 6 with AB at 5?
Of course. Would just be nice to know we can find a future superstar number 3 and number 4. We may have them but they've got to do it first.

I reckon they have to keep JP at 4 and give him the chance to keep doing what he is doing. AB at 5 and Faf at 6. He seems to like setting up positions. He may fail a bit but he plays the special knocks. I think AB and Faf seem to deal better with nothing for 3 or 4 situations or in search of quick runs when you are plenty for no wickets as their acceleration game can be forced.

SeamUp

International Coach
AB not retiring from tests

AB de Villiers has said he is not retiring from Test cricket, squashing speculation over the last few days that he was going to give up the longest format.

"I'm not retiring out of Test cricket, I'm not retiring out of any format, that's for sure," he told South African radio station 702 on Tuesday.

However, de Villiers said that he would have to manage his workload in order to be fit for the 2019 World Cup, which he said was top priority for him.

SeamUp

International Coach
Made himself unavailable for New Zealand test series

I think there are other factors. Like %'s need to be met so he will play important test series from now on.

AB de Villiers has made himself unavailable for selection for the upcoming Test series in New Zealand in March though he has recovered from his elbow injury, but said that he was not retiring from Test cricket.

However, while squashing recent speculation that he was going to give up the longest format, AB de Villiers indicated that his priority was going to be limited-overs cricket in order to play the 2019 World Cup.

"That's a good question. Not yet. I'm not there yet," de Villiers said in Johannesburg on Tuesday, when asked when he would return to the Test side. "The reason being that I just need to settle things in my head. Over the last few years something has come to mind, which is the fact that we haven't won a World Cup yet. And for me to make it to the 2019 World Cup, I can't really be serious in every format.

"So I've made myself unavailable for the New Zealand Test series. I will be there for the ODIs, and I'm definitely not retiring from Test cricket because I have plans to come back at some stage. For me, for now the most important thing is the 2019 World Cup. I want to make sure we get there, I want to make sure we lift that trophy. Obviously there are other factors that play a role like family and time away from home, but the main reason for me is that World Cup and I feel that if I play all formats all the time, then mentally and physically I won't be at my best."

Earlier on Tuesday, de Villiers told South African radio station 702 that he was "not retiring out of Test cricket." However, he said he would have to manage his workload in order to be fit for the 2019 World Cup, which he said was top priority for him.

"My main aim is to get to that 2019 World Cup and I am going to do everything possible to get there. It's important to play the other formats but mentally and physically I need to be in a good space come the 2019 World Cup and that's what I am aiming for. I know its still a long way away and it's all about managing that really well in order for me to get there.

"I am going to have to make certain choices. It's not easy for me. I have always been the go-ahead guy, the team man, never want to miss a game for South Africa and I still do, but the schedules these days, it's really tough to play all formats, especially at the age of 32, when most cricketers don't go past the age of 35. If you do the math, it takes to me to 2019, 2020 at the most. Hopefully by then I will still be fit and be there to lift the trophy with the boys."

De Villiers said he had recovered from the elbow injury that kept him out of cricket since August last year and hoped to make a comeback in the third T20I against Sri Lanka on January 25.

"I've had this elbow injury for a while now but I am fully fit again and I am playing in that last T20 in Cape Town on the 25th and then in the ODIs," de Villiers said. "I am really excited to get going."

The recent speculation over de Villiers' Test future arose after comments from South Africa's Test captain Faf du Plesiss and coach Russell Domingo indicated uncertainty over de Villiers' return to the side.

De Villiers, 32, has not played a Test since January 2016, when he was the stand-in captain for Hashim Amla. He took over in the middle of a four-Test series against England, which South Africa lost 2-1 in the midst of discussions over his own workload. De Villiers had spent the early part of the series explaining the need to "keep myself fresh" and "maybe not play all kinds of cricket."

At the end of the series, de Villiers was named permanent Test captain and he accepted the job while fully committing to South Africa. However, he was sidelined with an elbow injury after the Caribbean Premier League in July and, at first, opted for a conservative approach to treatment, which involved rest and rehabilitation rather than surgery. That ruled him out of a two-Test series against New Zealand in August. By October, he had still not recovered and was forced to have surgery, which ruled him out of the home ODIs and an away Test series against Australia. Du Plessis was captain in his absence and led South Africa to series wins in both assignments.

De Villiers had still not recovered by December, ahead of the Tests against Sri Lanka at home, and stepped down as Test captain early in the month. Du Plessis was confirmed as his successor and led South Africa to another series victory.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bah. Winning a World Cup requires a load of things to go your way. Can't exactly plan your career around that.

SeamUp

International Coach
Let's not forget that since 20 he has traveled around the world and hardly missed a game in 11 years in all formats. Plus he had those serious back issues.

Coming to the autumn of his career I think he is allowed to earn as much as he can as you never know what will happen. He has a family now and a 2nd child is on the way.

The fact the percentages have to be met probably falls right in CSA's agreement with him that he only plays important test series.

Stefan9

International Debutant
He also already has more money then any of us will see in a lifetime. More then enough to take care of the family...Could buy Ab£otter some groceries as well if he wanted...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Perfect opportunity to make Faf captain in all three formats. Fine if AB wants to manage the workload but not one of your captains.

SeamUp

International Coach
Prick Lorgats response

AB de Villiers is "not picking and choosing" the Tests he plays, according to CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat, who indicated that once de Villiers returned to the format, he would not have the luxury of taking time off when he wanted.

On Tuesday, de Villiers said he would not be available for selection for the Test series in New Zealand in March, and that limited-overs cricket was a priority for him in order to play the 2019 World Cup. De Villiers said he was not retiring from Test cricket, though, but was not yet ready to return to the format. Having been out of action since August last year because of an elbow injury, he said he was fit again and going to play the third T20I against Sri Lanka on January 25.

"This is a plan that we had six months ago. It's just a case of when he starts or when he returns," Lorgat said. "Because once he starts, there's no stopping and no time off. When you play, you play continuously. So he's not picking and choosing. These are deliberate discussions that we're having and which will continue.

"ODI cricket is the focus because he's the captain. Test cricket is different. We've got a settled team, we've got the resources to go through. If he was not the captain of the ODI team it might have been different. Same with T20s - we've got enough talent there and he's not leading the side. But with respect to ODIs, he will play every ODI because he's the captain."

Lorgat said de Villiers' decision to not play the Tests in New Zealand was no surprise because of the discussions they had been having with the view to keep the 2019 World Cup as top priority.

"I'm most satisfied by the kind of conversations we're having with him," Lorgat said. "He's clear about when he's going to be ready and when he's not ready. His clarity is important because then selectors are aware and we move on. You've seen what's happened in the last few months. We've built the team without AB, and that's a very big positive. The absence of AB has allowed others to step up, and we've developed other players. It's fantastic from my point of view that we have more than 11 that can take the field and be a winning formula."

Lorgat was confident that de Villiers would be ready to play the Tests in the summer in England, but said that his return to the side would then be dependent on the form of the players in the squad at the time. "If the selectors and the team feel that they have a winning team going, AB is fully aware that it's the selectors that will determine whether he comes back into the team or not."

South Africa won their two most recent Test series - 2-1 in Australia and 3-0 at home against Sri Lanka.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Lorgat very condescending to New Zealand saying England is the type of series that de Villiers would be available for. South Africa's recent record in New Zealand is very good but they are no mugs, and in the right conditions South Africa’s batsman will struggle. Saw that at Centurion and first innings at Kingsmead last year.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Sad about AB, not surprised considering all the factors. Definitely feel this is about quota issues and family life. He will play IPL, need to still pay the bills. But those people who think this is all about money forget he will be giving up some sponsorship deals because he is not playing all 3 formats. I`m hoping by the end of 2016 this issue is sorted completely.