• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

MrPrez

International Debutant
Agree on JJ Smuts. Almost null and void with those batting options and 2 slow-left-arm spinners who can hold a bat. Like him loads though but domestic is his stuff.
Yup agree, as a Border/Warriors fan he reminds me somewhat of Pieter Strydom in that he's a quality domestic guy and great servant but shouldn't be in the international picture.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I get why they considered Smuts. A batsman who can turn his arm over with reasonable success is always going to be an appealing package, and arguably worth a go for the T20 World Cup. But since he's not going to be a long-term prospect he needed to hit the ground running and make more of an impact than he has done, so it's time to move on from him.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yup agree, as a Border/Warriors fan he reminds me somewhat of Pieter Strydom in that he's a quality domestic guy and great servant but shouldn't be in the international picture.
Very similar. Captains. Batting not technically and aesthetically pleasing (limited) and more than decent finger spinners.

SeamUp

International Coach
What reason is there to not pick Raynard for the WI tour in July?
I would imagine he will be in the SA A first. I also preferably wouldn't want him opening as he isn't that despite scoring his runs there this season. Number 3 or number 4.

I've been more disappointed in the SA and SA A selections for the FC/Test team this season.

Pieter Malan
Eddie Moore
Reeza Hendricks
Keegan Petersen
Theunis de Bruyn
Rudi Second
Pite van Biljon

all seemed to be in the picture before the young batsmen in the format. If they going to give them opportunities they need suss them out very quickly and if they cut throat about it then fine. Don't feel the need to pick them because you want to keep respect in the domestic system due to losing all the other players. The test team more than any other is where you get longer to work with younger talent.

SeamUp

International Coach
I get why they considered Smuts. A batsman who can turn his arm over with reasonable success is always going to be an appealing package, and arguably worth a go for the T20 World Cup. But since he's not going to be a long-term prospect he needed to hit the ground running and make more of an impact than he has done, so it's time to move on from him.
Which I am perfectly fine with. Think players like him deserve the chance but if they don't take to international cricket almost immediately (from viewing and not just runs/wickets) then move them on quickly.

I didn't think they would do it but I wanted them to consider Smuts/Linde for the last WC number 7 position because of the limitations of Phehlukwayo and D.Pretorius.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Which I am perfectly fine with. Think players like him deserve the chance but if they don't take to international cricket almost immediately (from viewing and not just runs/wickets) then move them on quickly.

I didn't think they would do it but I wanted them to consider Smuts/Linde for the last WC number 7 position because of the limitations of Phehlukwayo and D.Pretorius.
Do you think Smuts is actually going for the 7 spot, or do you think he's a top 6/6th bowler player? I'd prefer the latter, although admittedly I don't think his batting has warranted it.

Relying on Smuts as a fifth bowler and not having a sixth is suicidal imo.

SeamUp

International Coach
Do you think Smuts is actually going for the 7 spot, or do you think he's a top 6/6th bowler player? I'd prefer the latter, although admittedly I don't think his batting has warranted it.

Relying on Smuts as a fifth bowler and not having a sixth is suicidal imo.
Definitely the latter but would have considered him short-term for the WC with the lack of options.

If Linde could find consistency with the ball in limited overs cricket he would be the dead certainty for the role. So I am really interested to see how he goes in India. His slower variation of finger spin to Keshav could be a good variety for us because he is definitely a number 7 bat where as Keshav is probably an 8 at the highest.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would imagine he will be in the SA A first. I also preferably wouldn't want him opening as he isn't that despite scoring his runs there this season. Number 3 or number 4.
When he comes in to the SA side would want him batting at 5/6 initially. I don't want him picked in the team straight away. And if SA 'A' are playing be better for him to be there. But mid July unless he is playing somewhere I don't see how you don't take him with to WI even just to get the feel of the squad.

I've been more disappointed in the SA and SA A selections for the FC/Test team this season.

Pieter Malan
Eddie Moore
Reeza Hendricks
Keegan Petersen
Theunis de Bruyn
Rudi Second
Pite van Biljon

all seemed to be in the picture before the young batsmen in the format. If they going to give them opportunities they need suss them out very quickly and if they cut throat about it then fine. Don't feel the need to pick them because you want to keep respect in the domestic system due to losing all the other players. The test team more than any other is where you get longer to work with younger talent.
100 %. Been going on about it all season. I agree that 20-23 year olds are not finished products. But you don't become a finished product until you actually get worked on (and worked over at international level) by the best. QDK 18 months ago was abyssmal!

Dendarii

International Debutant
It's the moving on which seems to be a problem. As you said, they've got to be cut throat about it, which I'll accept can be difficult because the selectors and coaching staff are actually dealing with the players concerned, rather than us commenting on them in a detached manner, but that's the way it needs to be done.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It's the moving on which seems to be a problem. As you said, they've got to be cut throat about it, which I'll accept can be difficult because the selectors and coaching staff are actually dealing with the players concerned, rather than us commenting on them in a detached manner, but that's the way it needs to be done.
It is the job. Trite I know, but still true.

SeamUp

International Coach
When he comes in to the SA side would want him batting at 5/6 initially. I don't want him picked in the team straight away. And if SA 'A' are playing be better for him to be there. But mid July unless he is playing somewhere I don't see how you don't take him with to WI even just to get the feel of the squad.

100 %. Been going on about it all season. I agree that 20-23 year olds are not finished products. But you don't become a finished product until you actually get worked on (and worked over at international level) by the best. QDK 18 months ago was abyssmal!
Yeah, not sure if the SA A tour mirrors the senior tour or not.

Was actually looking at the Windies tour. We haven't been there in ages. Only 2 tests (Trinidad & St Lucia) and 5 T20s (first 2 in Florida, last 3 in Jamaica).

What sort of pitches are Trinidad and St Lucia these days ?

SeamUp

International Coach
Boucher gives AB deadline for Proteas comeback

Proteas coach Mark Boucher has hinted that former star batsman AB de Villiers could make his international comeback in June.

It's no secret that discussions between De Villiers, Boucher and Cricket South Africa's Director of Cricket Graeme Smith have been taking place.

Since his retirement from all forms of international cricket in 2018, De Villiers remains one of the most popular cricketers in the world.

The 36-year-old has since travelled around the world competing in various T20 leagues.

While competing at this year's Big Bash League, De Villiers admitted that he would love to come out of retirement and play in October's T20 World Cup.

De Villiers, who's been out of action since January, hasn't made himself available for the Proteas since declaring his interest for a possible return.

Speaking at a Standard Bank sponsor event in Bloemfontein, Boucher gave the likes of De Villiers, spinner Imran Tahir and Chris Morris a deadline of June 1 to make themselves available for the national team.

"The big one is the IPL (Indian Premier League) so we decided to let those guys do the IPL and then afterwards make themselves available," Boucher said, as quoted by the cricket.com.au website.

"From June 1, which is the Sri Lanka tour, those guys need to make themselves available. Whether we select them is another story.

"But they need to make themselves available if they want to put their hands up for a World Cup spot," he said.

The Proteas are scheduled to tour Sri Lanka in June for three ODIs and three T20Is.

Tahir, who hasn't played for the Proteas since July last year, has made himself unavailable for national selection while playing in the Pakistan Super League.

Morris, who was bought for R20m for this year's IPL, most recently played in Australia's Big Bash League last month.

Meanwhile, Boucher's charges are leading 1-0 in the three-match ODI series against Australia with the second ODI set for Bloemfontein on Wednesday (13:00).

SeamUp

International Coach
Miller's ODI innings this summer. Another pleasing perspective outside Klaasen/Malan. A bit of consistency in a difficult role.

69* (53) v England
64 (70) v Australia
37* (29) v Australia

SeamUp

International Coach
So last international fixture of the home summer on Saturday in Potch.

What internationals are left in 2020 before next home season.

Tour to India

ODIs
Mar 12 in Dharamsala
Mar 15 in Lucknow
Mar 18 IN Kolkata , Eden Gardens

Tour to Sri Lanka

June : 3 ODI's and 3 T20's

Tour to West Indies

FC/Test
July 15- July 18 : 4-day warm-up (Trinidad)
July 23-July 27 : First Test (Trinidad)
Jul 31-4 Aug : Second Test (St Lucia)

T20s
8 & 9 Aug : Both Florida
12, 15, 16 Aug : All Jamaica

T20 World Cup

Oct 24 v India (Perth)
Oct 30 v England (SCG)
Nov 1 v Afghanistan (Adelaide)
Nov 5 v TBC (Adelaide)
Nov 8 v TBC (SCG)

Last edited: