• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
T20 Team

1. Quinton de Kock
2. Temba Bavuma
3. Rassie van der Dussen
4. Faf du Plessis
5. AB de Villiers
6. David Miller
7. Dwaine Pretorius/Andile Phehlukwayo
8. Chris Morris/Dale Steyn/Anrich Nortje
9. Kagiso Rabada
10. Lungi Ngidi
11. Imran Tahir/Tabraiz Shamsi

Excess (1 more likely a batsman)
Reeza Hendricks
Jon-Jon Smuts
Pite van Biljon
Bjorn Fortuin
Beuran Hendricks
Sisanda Magala

That is if we assume AB, Faf, Morris and Imran are in the mix.

That 11 would be a serious one, especially for Aussie conditions.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/A...oteas-squad-for-australia-t20-series-20200217

Proteas T20 squad v Australia:

Quinton de Kock (captain, wicketkeeper), *Temba Bavuma, Faf du Plessis, Rassie van der Dussen, David Miller, Pite van Biljon, Dwaine Pretorius, Andile Phehlukwayo, Jon-Jon Smuts, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Lungi Ngidi, Bjorn Fortuin, Anrich Nortje, Dale Steyn, Heinrich Klaasen

*Bavuma’s selection is dependent on the results of an MRI scan of his right hamstring that he will undergo during the course of the day. [/QUOTE]

Return of Faf, Rabada and Nortje. 2x Hendricks and Magala dropped. (Not that Magala was every really in the squad).

SeamUp

International Coach
I was wondering, whats the issue with Tahir, I thought he was still playing t20's

Shamsi is no Tahir
I think Imran is in the Pakistan Super League rather. Not sure if they have said to him that they know what he can do so he can play in it rather than for SA.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Where does this leave AB, Imran & Morris ?
I`m unsure regards Morris... but pretty sure both ABdV and Tahir will be selected if available for T20 WC. I suspect that Rabada and Nortje will rotate with Ngidi and Steyn. Interesting to see who Faf comes in for? He needs to either open or come in at 3. But Bavuma and QDK seem to do really well together as a partnership I don't know why but they seem to feed off each other often.

Heboric

International Debutant
I`m unsure regards Morris... but pretty sure both ABdV and Tahir will be selected if available for T20 WC. I suspect that Rabada and Nortje will rotate with Ngidi and Steyn. Interesting to see who Faf comes in for? He needs to either open or come in at 3. But Bavuma and QDK seem to do really well together as a partnership I don't know why but they seem to feed off each other often.
Put Faf in place of Klaasen, and rejig order. I know Klaasen played well last game

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How come?

Our other options aren't great. When guys like Magala are making the squad there's really no way you can leave out KG.
I believe that had to be irony...

To be fair to Magala he has been quite good in the domestic T20 stuff, good change-ups and block hole bowling. But he will need to lose more weight to get into national side. He officially has not been part of the squad even if hanging around due to his fitness issues.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
I believe that had to be irony...

To be fair to Magala he has been quite good in the domestic T20 stuff, good change-ups and block hole bowling. But he will need to lose more weight to get into national side. He officially has not been part of the squad even if hanging around due to his fitness issues.
Yeah agreed on everything - but there's no way he gets in a T20 team/squad ahead of Rabada. Ever.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah agreed on everything - but there's no way he gets in a T20 team/squad ahead of Rabada. Ever.
I suspect the comment has lots to do with Rabada not looking quite as good recently. He only avg 30 in last 12 months. What people forget is that he is only just turned 24 been playing international cricket for 5 years in all formats and has been basically given the task of leading the attack for SA at a young age while SA are going through a crisis. That is a lot for young shoulders. I also have a feeling because he is playing so much cricket across all formats he is having his bowling tinkered with by many different bowling coaches. I suspect he will likely come good in the next 18 months or so and dominate world fast bowling for the next 10 years after that.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I should clarify, Rabada should be in a best XI no doubt, but the amount of cricket he plays should be carefully monitored. I'm not sure of SA's schedule leading into the WC, but hopefully he's allowed plenty of rest before so that he's firing come the tournament. But then, you don't want to be resting him for the majority of T20s and then play him in the WC as he might not go well. It's a fine balance with such a fantastic bowler

Not a question of his ability, but more how's he's handled in order to get the best from him. For a WC, you don't want guys playing on reputation and what they've previously achieved in the format without taking into account how their body is

Last edited: