• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sourav Ganguly VS MS Dhoni - Who was a better captain?

Spark

Global Moderator
I dont see how 'being competitive' means that much. India have been mostly competitive in away series since 2002 and India were the no.1 ranked team in the world when they toured in 2018.

I think Kohli's loss in SA was understandable as they were somewhat evenly matched teams, but England loss was truly disappointing. We may not remember but India entered that series as heavy favorites and England were in poor form, and India end up with a worse scoreline than the previous tour. If SA under Graeme Smith had lost that way to England it wouldnt have been as acceptable.
I am working off the admittedly crude metric that playing better cricket > playing worse cricket. You would struggle to find worse cricket than what Dhoni's India served up for much of 2011 and 2012.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dont see how 'being competitive' means that much. India have been mostly competitive in away series since 2002 and India were the no.1 ranked team in the world when they toured in 2018.

I think Kohli's loss in SA was understandable as they were somewhat evenly matched teams, but England loss was truly disappointing. We may not remember but India entered that series as heavy favorites and England were in poor form, and India end up with a worse scoreline than the previous tour.
If SA under Graeme Smith had lost that way to England it wouldnt have been as acceptable.
That ****ing kid

Kirkut

International Regular
Yeah but things were really bad within the side around 2007 WC and Kumble takes some credit for bringing back some unity in the side, but I definitely feel MSD deserves most of the credit for keeping that mix going and ensuring almost all of them contributed and/or played to potential. Heck he even got Sreesanth to go better at his most unhinged.
2007 WC was nowhere as painful as 2011 England tour. I was confident after the way we handled Steyn at his prime that we should draw the series at the very least.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd have Ganguly all day long.

Better tactically for me and always gave the impression he'd walk over hot coals to beat you.

Didn't seem to give a monkey's what the oppo thought of him either, which can be a virtue too.

I'd guess MS was maybe more of a leader by example than a shooter and possibly more of a mate to his team, but that can be a mixed blessing when it comes to throwing a few ****s into then when the occasion merits it.
Absolutely this.

Probably my favourite Indian cricketer of all time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ganguly. MS had a better team and I think he was a better thinker as far as the game was concerned, but Ganguly was a better captain.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
2007 WC was nowhere as painful as 2011 England tour. I was confident after the way we handled Steyn at his prime that we should draw the series at the very least.

A lot of our players simply let go after the 2011 WC win and a bloody long IPL 3 days after did not help either. But I am talking more from the discord in the team perspective. Like I said Kumble being around for a few months did help but Dhoni kept a team that was very diverse in terms of outlook and attitude and at best, patched up relationships between some of the stalwarts and kept it together long and well enough for us to be the best side in the world, however briefly. I don't think we have been the clear best to that level since then, even with all our ODI exploits under Virat.

Flem274*

123/5
good grief i leave for a single week and this is the trash you lot start spouting?

ganguly's main attraction as skipper was his talent for crying about how unfair test cricket is after snicking behind chasing a ball several kilometres outside off.

"b-b-but there was grass on the wicket waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh"

dhoni actually won important games and series.