• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Snap Brownlow poll

Who will win the 2008 Brownlow medal?

• Judd, Chris (Carlton)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Riewoldt, Nick (St Kilda)

• Selwood, Joel (Geelong)

• Other (please state)

• Total voters

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY!

SO EXCITED. **** YES. TASTE OF SUCCESS. YEAH! YEAH! **** YEAH!

COULDN'T FIND A GLASS TO RAISE WHEN THEY TOLD ME TO.

I drank from a vase...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Funniest thing about Cooney winning it was him doing the usual "nah, not a chance this round" crap the favourites always do when it gets to the late stages, then when he got 3 votes in r21, actually looking totally shocked. Just froze with his eyes really wide, was a classic moment.

Good Brownlow anyway. Black winning would have been a pretty big shock, amazing enough that he polled 20 in the first 11 rounds. Was kinda hoping Richo would get up at the end, but it's nice that he got close, and that Franklin polled so well also. Definitely two key forwards who had hugely influential seasons, and didn't get ****ed out of votes by not playing midfield.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
****...shattered for Black...He never stopped performing, rest of the team cost him that tbh.
I reckon the fact that 75% of his kicks past round 11 were complete shanks cost him.

Was so funny how everyone seems to forget how **** Richo was in the last few rounds. He touched it like twice against the Demons in the final round. I won't forget though, **** cost me the Dream Team final with that bull****.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richo should have owned Melbourne in Round 22 and won the Brownlow. :(

Why he had such a **** game I don't know

pasag

RTDAS
Good Brownlow anyway. Black winning would have been a pretty big shock, amazing enough that he polled 20 in the first 11 rounds. Was kinda hoping Richo would get up at the end, but it's nice that he got close, and that Franklin polled so well also. Definitely two key forwards who had hugely influential seasons, and didn't get ****ed out of votes by not playing midfield.
Richardson played on the wing this year, tbf.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Richo should have owned Melbourne in Round 22 and won the Brownlow. :(

Why he had such a **** game I don't know
That's the thing with the Brownlow and this one in particular where the top 5 where all within striking distance. Can single out just about any game and make up a scenario where it would have changed the result.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's the thing with the Brownlow and this one in particular where the top 5 where all within striking distance. Can single out just about any game and make up a scenario where it would have changed the result.
Yep true.

But Black, Goodes, Ablett etc. will always be there or thereabouts.

This was Richo's one chance :(

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'll stick my neck out and say that without Bartel, Corey and Ablett in the midfield Selwood wouldn't touch the pill.

****in' Lee Brown could get 30 touches a game with those three attracting all the attention.
Haha, 6th highest rated player by his peers.

Like reading an AFL post by Tharmi again.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Reading it again, it certainly was a crap post. But anyway, I think what my point was is that he'd be nowhere near as developed as a player if he wasn't at the cats. If he was picked up by someone like the Demons or something, I don't think he'd get the pill anywhere near as much.

ie. I think that being in such a good side makes him look better than he actually is at this stage.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You think he'd get to the tap as easily if he had the oppositions best tag, as opposed to their 3rd or 4th?

I don't have anything against him and he's probably my favourite player to watch for Geelong, but I certainly don't think he's one of the best midfielders in the comp. If you disagree, fair enough, but it doesn't mean I have to agree.

EDIT: Not saying he won't ever be, FTR.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Depends what you define as "best" midfielders in the competition. Certainly not top ten for mine, and I wouldn't say anyone after that is in the "best" category.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Was thinking about this last night, Cooney is only 23, is he the youngest to win the brownlow? Also had Black won, would he have been the first player to win a brownlow from outside the top 8? Can't remember any one recent who would have done it.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, the last Brownlow medallist to win in a season his side finished outside the eight was in Paul Kelly in 1995 where Sydney finished 12th.