• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slowness and Adverts

James

Cricket Web Owner
The backup script runs between 6:00pm and 8:00pm NZ time each night. It will be slow during these periods, and there's not a lot that can be done about it.

I'm looking at rather than running it everyday, only running it a few days a week.

A website is a 24/7 business which doesn't allow you the chance to run high usage jobs out of normal business hours. Generally visitors are at their lowest at that time of day, which is why I chose that as the time to run it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
Generally visitors are at their lowest at that time of day, which is why I chose that as the time to run it.
Really? I'm usually quite chirpy and happy between 6 and 8pm.

James

Cricket Web Owner
OK guys, the backup script will now only run on Wednesday's and Sunday's at 2:30pm NZ time, 12:30pm Sydney time, 3:30am British time.

Hopefully this affects less of you.

Slow Love™

International Captain
It's terrible for me, right now. Slow as molasses, loading up about two-thirds of a page and then hanging. Pretty much unusable.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I've been looking at, and have logged a support request for our hosts to take a look too.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Just got the below:

Hello,

We are currently having issues with our data center. Our admins are working as hard as they can to solve the problem and get the servers back up functioning normally.

Regards,
Eric

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The whole site was inaccessible for me for a while last night. It was around 8pm. Just thought I'd chip in lol it was probably my own system fault

James

Cricket Web Owner
A few updates, my email discussion with our hosts:

James said:
Hi there,

Everyday at 1am, I'm getting really high load, but I can't work out why.

Can you have a look please and tell me what is causing it?

Cheers,

James
Hosting Company said:
James,

That's the default time for VPS's to do various work on themselves automatically. They are collectively straining the machine a bit more than normal at that time.
Hosting Company said:
James,

I've checked and I've actually gone over this system to spread out the nighly processes before. The only thing left was backups, which only two VPS's had enabled at 1am. I've spaced out their backups by 2 hours and we'll see how that improves things.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The speeds in the last day or so have been better, still not great for me though, still takes ages to get from thread to thread at times.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Are you running a lot of cron jobs or anything else that might affect the server speed? If the forums are updating things such as user ranks/titles quite often, you could look into that.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Nope, it's all round general load, no one cause to the problem.

I've been talking solutions with a few people the past couple of days and will have something in place by the end of next week hopefully :)

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Is it just me, or is the forum going very slow today... taking me ages to actually post something..