• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Sledging" and Youth Cricket

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to read. Next question for y'all is whether you would class the following as sledging or not:

A) Come on, let's get him out
B) Come on, let's get him out, he's been in too long
C) Let's give those bails a flying lesson
D) Come on, give me a catch, right here, right into my hands
E) Ooh, well bowled, he doesn't like them there
F) Like a packet of polos, all edge no middle
G) Come on boys, he doesn't like that, he probably doesn't like rice pudding either
None really.

This kind of remarks can actually be fun and can bring a smile to the batsman's face also relaxing him a bit. But even the hrmless one if continued in an incessant chatter can get on your nerves because they are so very irritating. The chatter and not the contents.

FRAZ

International Captain
Interesting to read. Next question for y'all is whether you would class the following as sledging or not:

A) Come on, let's get him out
B) Come on, let's get him out, he's been in too long
C) Let's give those bails a flying lesson
D) Come on, give me a catch, right here, right into my hands
E) Ooh, well bowled, he doesn't like them there
F) Like a packet of polos, all edge no middle
G) Come on boys, he doesn't like that, he probably doesn't like rice pudding either
C is racist but I am pretty ok with all others !

Don

State Vice-Captain
come on man he's batting with a tire. thats been used by one of the players on my school team had everyone event he batsman stopping to laugh.

i think sledging shud be used to get laughs nothing degrading shud be said just get some laughs. cuz laughter is a good distraction

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C is racist but I am pretty ok with all others !
Hahaha. How is that racist?

As for Neil's thing, all of those would be totally fine. Stuff like that is acceptable, it's when you start making jokes about the batsmen (well if he's fat, maybe say one or two things...) himself that you can start to cross the line.

Don

State Vice-Captain
once played a match where one of the batsmen was really fat had a leverock type stomach. bowler ran in and hit him in the stomach from a good length and everyone appealed. then one guy yelled umpire send the man its fat before wicket. guy got mad next ball was screaming at the fielder

FRAZ

International Captain
How is that racist?
Well it is about personal perception tbh !!!
Bails in my vocabulary some what mean a typical type of mustache and people who have that type of mustache are quite touchy about it . Well it's a deeep $*** . I felt it was pretty personal and was quite pointy towards a certain clan who have that certain type of mustache .

Swervy

International Captain
Bails in my vocabulary some what mean a typical type of mustache and people who have that type of mustache are quite touchy about it . Well it's a deeep $*** . I felt it was pretty personal and was quite pointy towards a certain clan who have that certain type of mustache .
amazing:laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What does "stumps" mean in your vocabulary? Or "wickets"?

sps

Cricket Spectator
I play youth cricket and I am mainly bowler. I think sledging is fine if it isnt taken to far i will only sledge if a batsmen looks uncomfortable. In most youth cricket there is no talking any way id rather there was sledging than the match being played in silence which it usually is. Ive played against teams who dont even bother to cheer or make and sign of hapiness when they take a wicket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I play youth cricket and I am mainly bowler. I think sledging is fine if it isnt taken to far i will only sledge if a batsmen looks uncomfortable. In most youth cricket there is no talking any way id rather there was sledging than the match being played in silence which it usually is. Ive played against teams who dont even bother to cheer or make and sign of hapiness when they take a wicket.
I don't know how anyone can play without making noise, and lots of it.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, let them get into it. So long as it's not swearing or abuse, it's fine IMO. As somebody said earlier, their primary reason for talking should be for encouraging team-mates.

bond21

Banned
Hahaha I have a funny story regarding this

I bat like Jacques Kallis. I dont play any shots unless I want, I could leave balls outside off all day.

I was batting and this bowler kept telling me to play a shot, i just looked at him and said no thanks. Then I was trying to put him off, I did a backwards step feint towards square leg when he was about to bowl, we declare for around 600 runs.

I open the bowling, the same guy who was bowling to me is facing the first ball. I am running in, he does the same backwards step feint I did, I follow him, the ball hits his shoe and ricoches onto the stumps.

He was walking off and I was basically giving him heaps. Ended up getting 7 wickets that day.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I enjoy 'getting stuck in' so to speak, but I've found it has a negative impact on my performance and I tend to play far better when I just worry about my own routine...
Generally most of the 'on-field' comments which could be termed 'sledging' are pretty cringe-worthy and the offender just looks like a twit to both his team-mates and the batsman...Can be pretty entertaining though.

Think it does have a place in that it makes the batsman feel uncomfortable and unsure of himself, whereas if everyone is quiet and smiling then he feels alot more at ease. A one-liner which delivers the message "we dont like you/ we dont rate you" does the trick, no need to go over the top with abuse and language n the like.