• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Pietersen bat at 3 for England?

Should Pietersen bat at 3 in Tests for England?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Damn amazing to see Strauss now compared to how he was in 05 & 06. Has that Ashes series here done his head in?
Don't mind sayng I thought he'd struggle with the bounce here, but many thought he'd cope well as he's a good square of the wicket player, which he probably still is.
iirc he was in good touch coming into the first test and then got caught pulling twice, got a couple of dodgies, and hasn't really recovered yet. Shades of Martyn in the 05 Ashes series to some extent.
I still think he's England's best opener though, and he should be persisted with. The "will I be skipper or won't I" thing and the injuries to Vaughan and Flintoff, who were both in the mix for the job probably hasn't done his mental state much good either.
TBH, I don't know that it was 2006\07 to a massive extent. He had three by-and-large poor series in Pakistan (though IMO he didn't do a hell of a lot wrong there), India and Sri Lanka in the winter and summer of 2005\06 and 2006, too. The only time he's scored runs recently has been against the severely weakened Pakistan attack of 2006. He does need to do something of note again fast, otherwise Collingwood will supersede him.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
He should open IMO, i hate waiting for him to bat. There no other reason to watch England, then to see KP, so they give us what we want and let him open.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
IIRR he prefers the five slot, so it's not too harsh.
I must have misread your previous, where I thought you were arguing for Cook, Vaughan & Collingwood at 3, 4 & 5. It was the thought of KP being dropped to 6 or just dropped that I considered a bit harsh.

cover drive man

International Captain
Drop him to the middle order in my opinion. He's a fiery batsmen who will get rund in the middle of the innings with a possible partnership with Flintoff.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Keep him at No 4 just now. No 5 is too low as he could get stuck with the tail there (happened so often last winter) and personally I don't want him at 5 and Flintoff at 6 as they might fall into the trap of trying to outhit each other (P Roebuck once said when he came in at No 4 for Somerset his aim was to prevent Viv and Beefy from batting in a partnership in case they tried to outhit each other). He might end up at No 3 long term (as Ponting did) but for the moment 4 is fine.

cover drive man

International Captain
Keep him at No 4 just now. No 5 is too low as he could get stuck with the tail there (happened so often last winter) and personally I don't want him at 5 and Flintoff at 6 as they might fall into the trap of trying to outhit each other (P Roebuck once said when he came in at No 4 for Somerset his aim was to prevent Viv and Beefy from batting in a partnership in case they tried to outhit each other). He might end up at No 3 long term (as Ponting did) but for the moment 4 is fine.
I don't think he will try to out-hit Flintoff. I know the two of them make stupid mistakes but I'm sure that in a crucial part of any test match which the middle order usually get involved in they wouldn't be stupid enough to get into a "competition" Like that it would be horrible and stupid it may provide a bit of quick frill's. But it would be too much of a risk. When you get onto the cricket field to bat in a test match you must concentrate on slowly making runs, you could come out all guns blazing smashing every ball you can and get around a twenty or thirty if you're lucky. Sure it would give the crowd something to watch but it wouldnt make as much of a contribution to the score compared to if you came out in a relaxed frame of mind and slowly play yourself in and make the odd four. If you concentrate on a strike rate you are making a risk to your average. I know whaen I rate test batters I put there average to more importance than there strike rate. In test batting you have to realise that quantity is a more important factor than frills.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The post wpdavid quoted of yours had Collingwood at 5 though, hence the harshness.
I must have misread your previous, where I thought you were arguing for Cook, Vaughan & Collingwood at 3, 4 & 5. It was the thought of KP being dropped to 6 or just dropped that I considered a bit harsh.
Haha, no, no, no. I was saying that I preferred the idea of Trescothick-Strauss-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen to Trescothick-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Collingwood. That's on the presumption that Bell would have been six in both line-ups.

Clearer now? :)

Last edited:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Agreed. And the reason that Collingwood is good at 5 is because he provides an excellent foil for the more attack batsmen. It's good to have him in a Pietersen/Flintoff sandwich, as he's great at knocking the ball into gaps and running the singles in order to give the strike to Pietersen or Flintoff when they are dominating the bowling, but also provides a steady and calming influence who can play a good innings in his own right if Pietersen and/or Flintoff fail.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think he will try to out-hit Flintoff. I know the two of them make stupid mistakes but I'm sure that in a crucial part of any test match which the middle order usually get involved in they wouldn't be stupid enough to get into a "competition" Like that it would be horrible and stupid it may provide a bit of quick frill's. But it would be too much of a risk. When you get onto the cricket field to bat in a test match you must concentrate on slowly making runs, you could come out all guns blazing smashing every ball you can and get around a twenty or thirty if you're lucky. Sure it would give the crowd something to watch but it wouldnt make as much of a contribution to the score compared to if you came out in a relaxed frame of mind and slowly play yourself in and make the odd four. If you concentrate on a strike rate you are making a risk to your average. I know whaen I rate test batters I put there average to more importance than there strike rate. In test batting you have to realise that quantity is a more important factor than frills.
Think that's almost certainly the best cdm post I've ever read. (:thumbsup: ). No chance of Pietersen and Flintoff getting into said I-can-outhit-you contest IMO. There's only been one occasion in their careers that they've batted together for long and Pietersen played with the intelligence we all know he possesses - Flintoff was biffing it everywhere and scored 68, while Pietersen's contribution to the stand was 34 - half the amount.

I don't have any problem at all with Pietersen batting one above Flintoff, though I would actually prefer the latter at seven to six and always have.