• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Mankading law be outlawed?

Should Mankading be outlawed?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 62 93.9%

• Total voters

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What I don`t get is at what point when the ball is not bowled is it called dead ball? Is this purely at the discretion of the umpire. As far as I`m aware except for the 'Mankand' run out if the bowler does not release the ball the ball is called dead? Unsure of the official rules.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
why should the non-striker be able to assume the ball is going to be bowled? It's one of those things which has been taken for granted for years but doesn't make much sense from a rule perspective. If the batsman just watches for when the ball is actually bowled before moving then the problem vanishes.
It's been a while since I batted in anger in a game, and I was a lower-order batsman anyway, but I ALWAYS watched the bowler if I was at the non-striker's end.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
This discussion makes me think of baseball's balk rule. As far as I'm aware, it basically penalises the pitcher if he does something that constitutes the beginning of a pitch but then doesn't actually throw it. So the rules have to clearly state when a pitcher is said to have actually begun his motion and obviously before this he can do what he wants.

Cricket seems to sort of have this covered too, with the whole 'once the bowler has entered his bowling action, you can't be mankaded thing'. That just makes total sense to me. Until the bowler has entered his action, don't leave your crease and being run out is fair game. Once he's committed to bowling, you should be able to begin leaving the crease.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Which is fine, but then they changed the playing condition to let you pull out later and Mankad.

The Mankad law itself is fine; its the international playing condition which is broken.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the Omar position is seriously great. i mean, we're in this whole awkward spot where a team basically has to announce whether they're gonna follow this rule or not, which does really suck, but it's absolutely crystal clear when you're playing Omar: mankading is on. i hope more teams do it

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
the Omar position is seriously great. i mean, we're in this whole awkward spot where a team basically has to announce whether they're gonna follow this rule or not, which does really suck, but it's absolutely crystal clear when you're playing Omar: mankading is on. i hope more teams do it
I really hope you made this post on your phone.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Rohit Sharma mankads a Bangladeshi batsman.

Then they try to do the same but Rohit's in his crease, then proceeds to score 120* (67)

The tears might wipe Bangladesh out from the maps

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope Rohit Sharma mankads a Bangladeshi batsman.

Then they try to do the same but Rohit's in his crease, then proceeds to score 120* (67)

The tears might wipe Bangladesh out from the maps
Kolkata will be invaded. Pratters' rage will engulf CW.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
It’s just so easy as a non-striker to watch the ball coming out of the bowler’s hand and wait until then to take your bat out of the crease. And if you crouch down and extend your bat you can still get a pretty huge head start.

It’s not much to ask of professional cricketers for them to pay attention, I managed it in indoor cricket where mankads are rife.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It shouldn't be outlawed for pretty obvious reasons.

I think the umpire should give one warning to offending batsmen then the bowling team can Mankad him.