• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should card games be classified as sports?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah not a sport. Does get annoying when people complain about poker being shown on ESPN though, just because it's not a sport doesn't mean it isn't compelling viewing and where else would you have it?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if chess and poker are sports, then scrabble is too and scaly is a world class athlete.

Fine with competitive gaming being called e-sports, but that's as far as it should go.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a former Bridge player and ex-member of the EBU I find this an interesting debate. The difference between Bridge on the one hand, and the likes of Scrabble and Poker on the other, is that the way Bridge tournaments are played all the competitors play the same hands so the winner is undoubtedly the best player over the duration of the event, rather than luck playing any significant part. That said it is wholly cerebral, so my starting point is it's not a sport.

This is all about funding however, and if there were compelling evidence that playing bridge had health benefits, and I have in mind a possible positive effect by delaying the onset of Alzheimers or its progress, then I think it should be classified as a sport for the purposes of eligibility for funding

Howe_zat

Audio File
Very fuzzy at the edges when you start going for a definition of sport as being athletic. Does darts count? Are those athletes?

I'm pretty much fine with any professional competition with organised rules and conditions being called a sport. I'm struggling to think of a proper definition that excludes all 'games for money'.